Door falls off plane in flight from Mae Sot to Don Muang missing Burmese grasscutter

rooster59

obviously the plane had the usual thai maintenance work to ensure it safety aspects were up to scratchblink.png , getting worse and worse here for any sort of maintenance work to be carried out no mater what it is, buildings, bridges, busses etc and now aircrafts. Have to wonder how many people have to die or how often this sort of thing has to happen before they actually start taking safety maintenance seriously, suppose they just cant stand to lose all that profit by doing it though.

Why do you say that?

It was a small private aircraft and it is the pilots responsibility to do a walk around and to make sure that the aircraft is safe for flight.

Are you serious? Pilots do not have enough technical knowledge to assume that responsibility. Even a small private aircraft is maintained by aviation maintenance engineers.

Chang,You obviously have no idea about commercial aviation day to day duties of maintenance personnel and pilots.Also many of these small private commercial airlines hire outside maintenance to save money and the pilots have an A&P rating in maintenance procedures.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.....Didnt know you could buy duck tape that big.........gigglem.gif

Duct tape, not Duck Tape. Used for taping DUCTS not DUCKS!!! Really!!!

Dont worry......Im a bit quackers......blink.png

Im sure Nokair would use duck tape.....lol............attachicon.gifNokair.png

attachicon.gif500mph.jpg

Do you happen to know which airline is in this photo?

Which is why I NEVER sit near the exits.

How many times do you fly in small private aircraft?

My opinion as a pilot

Pilot Error.

Why sloppy walk around.

My opinion as a pilot.....

May be sloppy door closing by the pilot, but not the result of the walk around.

Edited by F4UCorsair

attachicon.gif500mph.jpg

That's not duct/duck tape in the pic. it's what engineers/mechanics call "speed tape", and it sticks like $hit to a blanket. It's used for all sorts of things, and is seldom disturbed, even by the airflow at 320 knots indicated.

Duck is funnier

your both right although one is more right, it is duct but loooky here .....quack qauck ooops

post-179032-0-03969700-1468139451_thumb.

attachicon.gif500mph.jpg

That's not duct/duck tape in the pic. it's what engineers/mechanics call "speed tape", and it sticks like $hit to a blanket. It's used for all sorts of things, and is seldom disturbed, even by the airflow at 320 knots indicated.

hey it could be worse

post-179032-0-50992100-1468139620_thumb.

attachicon.gif500mph.jpg

Thats reassuring. .....

............Duckt tape is weird........Stays on metal for ages but never use it on parcels or packing. It comes away from cardboard really quickly.

obviously the plane had the usual thai maintenance work to ensure it safety aspects were up to scratchblink.png , getting worse and worse here for any sort of maintenance work to be carried out no mater what it is, buildings, bridges, busses etc and now aircrafts. Have to wonder how many people have to die or how often this sort of thing has to happen before they actually start taking safety maintenance seriously, suppose they just cant stand to lose all that profit by doing it though.

Why do you say that?

It was a small private aircraft and it is the pilots responsibility to do a walk around and to make sure that the aircraft is safe for flight.

Are you serious? Pilots do not have enough technical knowledge to assume that responsibility. Even a small private aircraft is maintained by aviation maintenance engineers.

Wrong Jac. The 'walk around' inspection is a joint pilot/engineer responsibility, and either can refuse to take/dispatch the aircraft if an anomaly is found. I agree that engineers/mechanics have greater technical knowledge, and they do look for different irregularities, and deeper than pilots do, but it is most definitely a pilot responsibility. I've even seen pilots pick up problems that engineers have missed, and of course, vice versa.

Certainly in my 25 years in the RAF most of the flying crew members would do a preflight walk around and we did one before them in the interest of flight safety. We also did a walk around the pan checking for metal bits and stones that could be sucked into an engine or cut tyres.

Even before they walked out to the aircraft the aircraft logbooks were looked at by the pilots to check if any faults from the previous flight had been fixed.

Any pilot who didn't do a preflight check would be hauled in front of the boss and get a severe bollocking.

You guys are hilarious! Thanks for the entertaining quips. Don't you think the 'protective plastic' is kinda cute? Maybe a large 'plaster' next time....

Did you hear about the guy in China who OPENED the aircraft door after it landed because he was 'in a hurry'. Is it really that easy to open aircraft doors? When I sit on the exit door over wing, I always "study" the instructions! Is that just me, then? Aren't the exit doors at the front and rear of a jumbo "cross checked". And what does that actually mean?

You guys are hilarious! Thanks for the entertaining quips. Don't you think the 'protective plastic' is kinda cute? Maybe a large 'plaster' next time....

Did you hear about the guy in China who OPENED the aircraft door after it landed because he was 'in a hurry'. Is it really that easy to open aircraft doors? When I sit on the exit door over wing, I always "study" the instructions! Is that just me, then? Aren't the exit doors at the front and rear of a jumbo "cross checked". And what does that actually mean?

Cross checking is done by the flight attendants, and notified to the cockpit crew, to be sure that they have actually 'disarmed' the door, so that the slide won't deploy unintentionally when the doors are opened at the aerobridge. On taxi out, they are 'armed', so that in an emergency, when the door is opened, the slides will inflate and deploy. The cross checking is done by the FA's generally on the opposite side to the one he/she disarmed. The need for cross checking is disappearing with the new generation aircraft, that being checked by other means.

Aircraft doors can't be opened in flight due to the hull being pressurized. A door is about 6 feet high and 3 feet wide, so just under 2600 square inches. The pressure inside the aircraft, when fully pressurized, is about 8.5 psi +/-, so the door has about 22,000 lbs of pressure holding it closed, effectively 11 tonnes pushing against it.

You're one of the few who 'study' the emergency instructions. Those who don't are idiots, as are those who don't watch and listen to the emergency procedures delivered by the FA's or on screen. .

Same reason you should never buy a car owned by a Thai person.

There is one thing to buy an item another to maintain it.

One of my surprises in Thailand is how well maintained are most older cars... and some...are keeping its value very well..... If interested...my neighbor is selling his 1994 Volvo 960 and his 1992 MB 280 in pristine and showroom condition.

I'm sure your neighbor will be so pleased to find you're advertising his cars for himcoffee1.gif NOW ----- re the OP and this aeroplane--------------

It is common practice between good neighbors, and kind of Thai custom. Most real estate and cars are sold like that....that is why good deals are not always advertised. By the way...those care now are sold, for TH 90.0000 each to a classic car dealer selling to foreigners. Now posted on the internet for double that price. I have a Land Rover Defender 1967, totally original. Accepting offers.

Why do you say that?

Wrong Jac. The 'walk around' inspection is a joint pilot/engineer responsibility, and either can refuse to take/dispatch the aircraft if an anomaly is found. I agree that engineers/mechanics have greater technical knowledge, and they do look for different irregularities, and deeper than pilots do, but it is most definitely a pilot responsibility. I've even seen pilots pick up problems that engineers have missed, and of course, vice versa.

Wrong F4UCorsair. It is the AME's responsibility to inspect and certify the aircraft is fit for flight in the log books. The pilot does pre flight checks and walk arounds ONLY, and he can choose to refuse to fly if he deems it unsafe. An easier explanation is the difference between a driver and a mechanic. The driver checks the car by doing a walk around, but that doesn't necessarily approve the vehicle as been safe. Again, they lack the required technical skills to certify air worthiness. They report problems to AMEs and AMEs will inspect the problem and rectify them. An AME does not fly the aircraft thus your reasoning of "pilots pick up problems that engineers have missed".

Why do you say that?

Chang,You obviously have no idea about commercial aviation day to day duties of maintenance personnel and pilots.Also many of these small private commercial airlines hire outside maintenance to save money and the pilots have an A&P rating in maintenance procedures.

Assumptions, assumptions. You assumed I am not from the aviation industry. You assumed I said private commercial airlines have their own maintenance crew. All I can say is there is no value in your statements.

Not only small private commercial airlines hire outside maintenance, even large commercial airlines hire outside maintenance when they do not have their own maintenance hangar at the point of departure base. Airline companies don't have a hangar in every single country in the world, sometimes they need to outsource this depending on availability of space and resources on that airport. That's why more and more alliances are formed in the airline industry, not just to share your flying mile points.

Pilots do not have the responsibility to certify the aircraft as safe, it doesn't matter if you state they have a rating in maintenance procedures. You want the pilot to change oil and change wheels? cheesy.gif

Why do you say that?

Certainly in my 25 years in the RAF most of the flying crew members would do a preflight walk around and we did one before them in the interest of flight safety. We also did a walk around the pan checking for metal bits and stones that could be sucked into an engine or cut tyres.

Even before they walked out to the aircraft the aircraft logbooks were looked at by the pilots to check if any faults from the previous flight had been fixed.

Any pilot who didn't do a preflight check would be hauled in front of the boss and get a severe bollocking.

True, pre flight checks are very important in this regard. When an AME releases an aircraft from the hangar, anything can happen when the ramp agents toll the aircraft out to the gate. What happens between will solely rely on the Pilot's pre flight checks to point it out before actual flight. Safety is a serious issue not to be joked around. But I do know not everyone, pilots and AMEs included, do the work they should. Most tick the check list like they've done it many times before instead of actually doing the inspection. This I am disappointed with, but it's reality.

I'm not going to get into a pi$$ing contest with you Jac.

The 'walkaround' is a legal pilot responsibility.

The Captain can override an engineer's certification that the aircraft is fit for flight.

The authority of a Pilot in Command is enshrined in law.

I'll leave it at that.

Edited by F4UCorsair