Working remotely on Non Immigrant O (dependent)

From what I learnt it is not possible to get a WP without working for a Thai company (whether this is as a "normal employee" or a company director).

Isn´t that true?

You can be company director without a WP provided you play no active role in operating the business in Thailand.

A WP can be had for a representative office which technically is not a Thai company, but you can only operate the office for 6 years, need to front THB 6.million (if memory serves) you don't need the 4 Thai employee thing etc, and you not allowed to invoice via the rep office

So that means the OP cannot re-establish his HK company and use that entity to legally work in Thailand, right?

From what I learnt it is not possible to get a WP without working for a Thai company (whether this is as a "normal employee" or a company director).

Isn´t that true?

You can be company director without a WP provided you play no active role in operating the business in Thailand.

A WP can be had for a representative office which technically is not a Thai company, but you can only operate the office for 6 years, need to front THB 6.million (if memory serves) you don't need the 4 Thai employee thing etc, and you not allowed to invoice via the rep office

So that means the OP cannot re-establish his HK company and use that entity to legally work in Thailand, right?

He could use his HK company as the basis to form a representative office in Thailand, with the HK office being the "head office"

• Like 1

To Jack Thompson - I was interested in your comments regarding this topic and wonder if you can offer me any advice?

I lived (and worked) in HK for 20 years and am therefore a 'HK resident' - although I am British. I also had my own business there and business and personal bank accounts. Regrettably, when I retired to Thailand just over two years ago, I closed my business and bank accounts thinking I would not need them any longer. However, I now wish to consider my consultancy business here - but have been told I need to establish a Thai company (and all the paraphernalia that involves!) as well as acquire a work permit.

I am considering re-registering my business in HK again and re-opening my bank accounts there also. From what I have read and if I have understood it correctly, can I then simply invoice my clients to pay me through my HK company? Also, would I still need a work permit as I am effectively working for a HK-based company?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

To Jack Thompson - Thanks for your reply.

So I will still need to get a Work Permit? But can I set up and register my company in HK as opposed to going through this here in Thailand?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

That wasn't my reply but, in essence, there are three separate issues - not paying tax (or less tax) in your country of origin, obtaining the ability to stay in Thailand on a visa, and having a "work permit" allowing you to work while in Thailand.

The visa for simply being here is covered well in other threads (retirement, tourist-visas, elite, investment, etc).

I agree with the others who replied that it is not possible to work legally while living in Thailand w/o a work-permit. If one does decide to work "under the radar" in Thailand, I would suggest having a backup-country plan in mind, in case enforcement begins.

In the case of my business, I bootstrapped it into existence while living in other countries. Others now do the work, and I receive income from its profits. But I do plan to take that business offshore, asap, and hoping for advice on how to best accomplish this.

The idea of @bunnychow ... "A WP can be had for a representative office which technically is not a Thai company," - an interesting one. That might work if the business is sufficiently profitable to cover the expenses of jumping through those hoops.