Warning-60 Visa Not Available In Myanmar Now

It's tiring to read the same old khrap all the time...

There are people under 50, who do not want or wish or need to work, who do not want to do business, who do not therefore evade tax, who are not breaking any rule or law and never have been (doing visa run was not breaking a rule...) and for which there is currently NO visa available other than tourist.

[sandy]

Thai visa laws, as well as their interpretation and implementation, are not designed to make everyone in the world happy or to cater to every exception.

If you are a wealthy 40 year old who wishes to stay in Thailand permanently, you may indeed feel that you are being unfairly excluded.

If you are a wealthy 40 year old, surely by now you've learned that life is not always fair. If you go to a Thai embassy, throw a tantrum and threaten to hold your breath until they give you a visa,

maybe you'll get what you want. If you don't get it, sulk. I expect that's essentially how many of you wealthy 40 year olds have approached life anyway. Don't change now.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would add to your informative list expats 50 and over who cannot meet the new retirement rules because their pension is not large enough to reach 40K per month income (average pension of US citizen is just over US$1000 now). Previously, many could have put 400K in the bank and received a long term visa solution. The govt. knew this, and removed that option.

The rules were and are 65k income/800k bank deposit or a combination of the two for retirement extension of stay for those over age 50. The only change is the requirement that the 800k, if using that, is in the bank at least 3 months (to prevent extension day loans).

JR Texas (51, USA): Reply to Lopburi 3: Sorry......I did it again. Thanks for the correction. I keep saying retirement rules when I am talking about the marriage rule (I am thinking over 50 married and retired). The marriage rule was 400K in the bank....that is gone. Those people now must have an income of 40K per month (the combined income of both spouses must reach 40K per month). That means they now have to create a business or work for somebody else. The old system was easier. I think the govt. knew this and just decided to make life harder for people in this category. :o

Can anyone tell me what the K stands for when talking about money? and then, so how much is 40K?

There are people under 50, who do not want or wish or need to work, who do not want to do business, who do not therefore evade tax, who are not breaking any rule or law and never have been (doing visa run was not breaking a rule...) and for which there is currently NO visa available other than tourist.

[sandy]

Thai visa laws, as well as their interpretation and implementation, are not designed to make everyone in the world happy or to cater to every exception.

If you are a wealthy 40 year old who wishes to stay in Thailand permanently, you may indeed feel that you are being unfairly excluded.

That's fair :D

If you are a wealthy 40 year old, surely by now you've learned that life is not always fair. If you go to a Thai embassy, throw a tantrum and threaten to hold your breath until they give you a visa,

maybe you'll get what you want. If you don't get it, sulk. I expect that's essentially how many of you wealthy 40 year olds have approached life anyway. Don't change now.

That's prejudice... :o

Isn't it sad that instead of fighting to support everywhere a fundamental universal right, freedom of movement, we have here a bunch of sheep 'beholding' the law as if it was sacred, and a bunch of people worry with the grief that they might suffer when renewing the O-B visa?

No surprise that with such passivity and self-concern the world is such a hard place...

Time for lampooning...

They came first for the Visa Runners,

and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Visa Runner.

Then they came for the 3m Baht Business Visa,

and I didn't speak up because I did not have one.

Then they came for the Tourist Visa,

and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a tourist.

Then they came for the Retirement Visa,

and I didn't speak up because I was not that old.

Then they came for me,

and by that time no one was left to speak up.

[sandy]

Edited by s.pylos

I can sure see where this is headed.

Falangs mai dee - get out.

BR

Thai Consulate in Hull, UK is still issuing visas at full steam ahead!

Hopefully it will continue to do so in spite of the difficulties in Thailands neighbouring SE Asian countries.

Have also confirmed no changes to the rules/procedures/requirements in Glasgow, I have gone every year for the last four years and have never had any problem getting a multiple Non-B issued same day.

I just had a friend refused multiple entry B visa in KL. They said it was because he was not a resident of Malaysia, and if he wanted a multiple entry B visa he either had to be resident in Malaysia, or have a WP.

See also the rules for the new 3 year visa - must apply in home country.

I have thought for some time it was going to be harder and harder to get visas in neighbour countries, looks like a trip home every year.

I think Thailand is just sending a message, if you are 'living' here get a Non-O or a retirement visa, if you are working or doing business get a Non-B and if you need it a Work Permit.

Hate to say this, would a foreigner be allowed to go the UK, the US, or Australia as a perpetual tourist? Not a chance.So why should Thailand be any different?

The writing is on the wall.

[sandy]

That's fair :D

That's prejudice... :o

Isn't it sad that instead of fighting to support everywhere a fundamental universal right, freedom of movement, we have here a bunch of sheep 'beholding' the law as if it was sacred, and a bunch of people worry with the grief that they might suffer when renewing the O-B visa?

No surprise that with such passivity and self-concern the world is such a hard place...

Time for lampooning...

Then they came for me,

[sandy]

JR Texas (51, USA): Reply to S.Pylos: That quote above (and I do not consider it a lampoon) is brilliant and right on target. It captures the essence of what is happening in Thailand and the problem I have tried so hard to point out on this forum, but with no luck at all (for the most part, deaf ears).

Maybe the talking parrots for Thai Immigration who are tucked "securely" in their grandfathered beds will finally wake up and get it.

That story, if I am not mistaken, comes from a true story about the Jews in Nazi Germany......it took many of them a long time to realize that, yes, they were next in line for the gas chambers.

Thank you for that post. :D

Lots of places to get single entry Tourist Visas nearby via cheap airlines like Air Asia.

KL

Penang

Kotu Baru

Singapore

Hanoi

HCMC

Vientiane ( and there is another place in Laos but I forget the name)

Kumming China

Hong Kong

Kota Kinabalu

Just strike off your list these ones which have always been hostile toward issuing tourist visa's

Manilla, Myanmar, Cambodia

Came in a bit late on string but thought I would just add my own experiences base on the list above. I stayed here for 2 years before getting my retirement visa last December. When first here I had two 60 day tourist visas, both issued in UK on short visits. I then went to Philippines and was refused point blank on the basis they did not believe I was a tourist, I was back for 30 days and then went to Hongkong where they also refused me advising me to follow the investment route or (at the time) just do the runs across border. In UK again I was ok in getting a 1 year multi Non B (through Birmingham - 10 mins and out) but still needed to leave country every 90 days.

Yes I am fine now with the retirement visa but it was difficult for a time. I was being dealt with in the same way that foreigners are being dealt with today. If they think you are not a true tourist then you won't get the visa, if they think you are living in Thailand for what ever reason then they expect you to get the right visa. However they say it, whether it is polite or not does not matter, reality is they are tightening up on visas but this is no different than any country. I am lucky (for now!, things do change everyday) but I do wish everybody in this difficult visa situation the best and hope you guys can stay because I am sure your reasons are no different than mine were and still are, I just happen to be a lucky 50 years old.

Maybe the talking parrots for Thai Immigration who are tucked "securely" in their grandfathered beds will finally wake up and get it.

That story, if I am not mistaken, comes from a true story about the Jews in Nazi Germany......it took many of them a long time to realize that, yes, they were next in line for the gas chambers.

That came to my mind too, when I read the "lampoon". Safe until the Gestapo knocks at your door... And then it is too late to complain.

Why is it for many farangs so difficult to face the truth? It has never been that hard, to stay in Thailand for a longer period. It looks like, that everybody has to go home to obtain a proper visa.

BTW: I asked the Thai embassy in Berlin, Germany, about the black list. I've been told, that they can't view it, i.e. even "black listed" persons will get a visa. Therefore it's a fairy tale, if we are told, foreigners, who apply for a visa are "scanned" while applying. The new regulations are just invented to make our lives miserable.

Edited by Rajah

We all can be worried and sorry about these strange new rules. However let us not forget about what the thai citizens can experience everyday at our dear old farang consulates in Bangkok.

We can be ashamed.

No welcome.No information. A lot of papers and then NO...!

What can we expect from Thailand :

We get what we deserve

Thank you so much!!! You are so right!

A tourist is a resident of a foreign country visiting a country where he is not resident. In the country he visits he will stay in a hotel/guest house, a friend's house and after a usually very limited time leave the country again for a time considerably longer than the time he stayed in the country.

All your trips to neighbouring countries for a day or two and then come back as tourist is just f... bull sh... . No other organized and civilized country does accept this and certainly your home countries would never allow something similar. Stop crying, start complying.

A tourist is a resident of a foreign country visiting a country where he is not resident. In the country he visits he will stay in a hotel/guest house, a friend's house and after a usually very limited time leave the country again for a time considerably longer than the time he stayed in the country.

All your trips to neighbouring countries for a day or two and then come back as tourist is just f... bull sh... . No other organized and civilized country does accept this and certainly your home countries would never allow something similar. Stop crying, start complying.

I believe the Philippines allows this.

Jr; a bit tired of you stating that people "grandfathered" in (like me, investment visa) think that we are safe, and are judging others here. That is certainly not the case.

WIll I get my yearly extensions? We will see, but I am not taking it for granted.

The main gap that the abolishment of the investor visa created was the large group of financially independant singles under 50 (with no plans/desire to work).

I can see others getting caught by rule changes too - married that can not show 40k income, retirees having to wait 3 months with 800k in account Etc.

By now you seem to have understood the visa rules (after many corrections :o ) so I suggest YOU do something - looking forward to see your letter in BKK post! (unless you suggest demonstrations in Lumpini park?).

Cheers!

Try it out and you will know.

Try it out and you will know.

I have been reading a Philippines expat site. The consensus seems to be that you can stay for a year with a tourist visa and extensions. Then you must leave the country for one day and get a new tourist visa, starting the process all over again. Do you have experience to the contrary?

60-day tourist visas are available in Tokyo for only 3,000 yen, which is about 900 baht. However, you must show your ticket to Thailand (one-way ticket is okay) as well as a statement of balance from your bank, to prove funds. An ATM printout will not do for this one, you will need a signed statement from your bank.

Although the requirements are lengthier than in Singapore and Malaysia, having multiple tourist visas from the same year does not seem to be a problem.

Tokyo also asks for a medical certificate even for a tourist visa......

I know many people like myself that are perpetual tourists. How? We make our living using the Internet. All I need is a reliable internet connection and I'm able to be a tourist anywhere.

I haven't lived in my home country for many years, and don't need to.

Ditto.

Then presumably you have a work permit (assuming that your internet business requires you to do some work) and pay your taxes. Then you should be able to stay in Thailand without problem.

If he got a work permit then he would have to hire 4 thais to sit around and diddle themselves all day while he does his online trading for a few hours.

How times change. In January I shocked my Rangoon based mate by getting given a tourist visa there withouth even having a photo, nor proper US dollars. I paid in a bizarre combination of Kyat and torn one dollar notes and bought the photos in when I collected it, and my friend just sighed and wished he had an Australian passport.

I know many people like myself that are perpetual tourists. How? We make our living using the Internet. All I need is a reliable internet connection and I'm able to be a tourist anywhere.

I haven't lived in my home country for many years, and don't need to.

Ditto.

Heard that.

Again, making my money, spending it all here. Thais like the idea of Robin Hood - they all know the name. As a Westerner, unless you want a low paying job, you must look to the West for your income stream - except for a few precious big company jobs, but those are for those who 'like jobs'. In any case, I help bring foreign dollars here. And so far have ideas for bigger things that would benefit Prathet Thai, but of course there is no consideration for me. For my fairly stable, and suffiecient income from abroad, for my future projects to help Thailand. The guy who spoke of case by case basis was right on. Or just another couple categories for the younger and able, but not quite rich yet, who contirbute and care.

I've heard those telling me to get a real job and all this sort of thing. But this is entrepreneurship. Thais thrive on that. As well teaching is a real job but it is often a rip-off, and it is taking money from Thais. Again I bring money here from abroad. And now I feel the general sweeping of the streets is going to carry away quite a few of the good Farangs with whatever type of rubbish they're trying to clean up.

And as far as what I do..... yes I try to consult too....and there goes that VISA. Hello ? You don't want to grant me permission to live in your country and teach you how to bring in foreign money ? Really ?

I speak n read Thai, love Thailand, try to be Thai so much, and now reading around the forum, really contemplating all the talk of underpinnings of racism or not caring, find myself starting to reconcile what I see vs what I like to believe about the LOS. Still I think it's more the government that is full of disdain rather than the populace. Time and policy wil tell.

This is another byproduct of these laws - Farang getting pissy with each other, and standing on some sort of moral high ground here in the forum. K. Khaojai, you in fact are not a very understanding person at all. This is just rude what you say. And besides that, throwig tantrums with Thais is not the way to get results you want at all. This is very basic to understanding the Thais. I wonder what it is that you think you khao jai yourself ??? One person in the above seems very reflective and maybe understands, the other might best change their id to jai rawn, or mai khao jai.

Really, all the hating is silly here. The forum is for understanding and sharing ideas and information. I see far more hate and classism spewed by Farang toward Farang here, than anything we speak of from the Thais.

Time for lampooning...

Then they came for me,

Cute! :o

60-day tourist visas are available in Tokyo for only 3,000 yen, which is about 900 baht. However, you must show your ticket to Thailand (one-way ticket is okay) as well as a statement of balance from your bank, to prove funds. An ATM printout will not do for this one, you will need a signed statement from your bank.

Although the requirements are lengthier than in Singapore and Malaysia, having multiple tourist visas from the same year does not seem to be a problem.

I was not asked to show a medical certificate.

Maybe I just look so darn healthy! :o

So where does one go for a 60 day visa now. I'm certainly hesitant to spend the time and money going to another neighboring country only to be refused again.

Our options are becoming quite limited it would seem. Malaysia seems to be the only place left. They're going to be overrun with applicants in January. If they stop issuing TVs, we'll start seeing a mass exodus from Thailand.

No way. Lots of places to get single entry Tourist Visas nearby via cheap airlines like Air Asia.

KL

Penang

Kotu Baru

Singapore

Hanoi

HCMC

Vientiane ( and there is another place in Laos but I forget the name)

Kumming China

Hong Kong

Kota Kinabalu

Just strike off your list these ones which have always been hostile toward issuing tourist visa's

Manilla, Myanmar, Cambodia

300 points to you mate for having a bit of common sense happenning.

what you have said here is exactly the situation but some people like to make a big story out of nothing.

to all the people that want to leave thailand because of the visa situation, i say pack up and hit the road jack. :D

as you point out above its so simple to get a visa if you go to the right place. :D

cheers :o

With new first-time applications for annual extension of permission to stay with an investment of 3 million Baht no longer possible, it is becoming rather difficult to stay in Thailand long-term for all those foreigners who are

– not holding a work permit

– younger than 50 years

– not married to a Thai

– but rich enough to live in Thailand long-term on their savings

---------------

Maestro

So just how many people do we know (personally, not a mate of a guy at the burger stand outside Nana Plaza) that fall into this category?

You really saying there are a whole bunch of people stay here 12 months of the year on their savings, don't have a partner, don't do any work or collect any money whatsoever! I know one lottery winner (not jackpot winner)who falls into this category who doesn't give a shit anyway.

Anybody falling into this category has more than enough money to be holidaying out of the country for the 90 day period required in cheaper neighbouring countries. Not "wanting to" or not having the get up and go to leave the comfort of the expat community for 3 months every now and again is no reason for the Government to grant them special visa's.

And should the Thai Government be tailoring their Visa policy to this incredibly small group, thus leaving in place a system that encourages people to work on tourist visas, teach, not pay tax, collect commissions from tour operators and generally blag and scam their way through life here etc. NOW THEN! how many people do we know that do this? Phone any language school and say immigration are on the way and watch them run!

There are serious problems with people staying here without visas. Look at all the scammers on Sukhumvit road, the passport forgers etc. They have their eye on Sois 1 - 5 on Sukhumvit believe me and there will be much activity in this area in the new year.

You can be 99% certain that after the 90 day period is up, all foreigners will be having their passporst checked in order to weed out the long time overstayers.

With new first-time applications for annual extension of permission to stay with an investment of 3 million Baht no longer possible, it is becoming rather difficult to stay in Thailand long-term for all those foreigners who are

– younger than 50 years

– not married to a Thai

---------------

Maestro

So just how many people do we know (personally, not a mate of a guy at the burger stand outside Nana Plaza) that fall into this category?

You really saying there are a whole bunch of people stay here 12 months of the year on their savings, don't have a partner, don't do any work or collect any money whatsoever! I know one lottery winner (not jackpot winner)who falls into this category who doesn't give a shit anyway.

Anybody falling into this category has more than enough money to be holidaying out of the country for the 90 day period required in cheaper neighbouring countries. Not "wanting to" or not having the get up and go to leave the comfort of the expat community for 3 months every now and again is no reason for the Government to grant them special visa's.

And should the Thai Government be tailoring their Visa policy to this incredibly small group, thus leaving in place a system that encourages people to work on tourist visas, teach, not pay tax, collect commissions from tour operators and generally blag and scam their way through life here etc. NOW THEN! how many people do we know that do this? Phone any language school and say immigration are on the way and watch them run!

There are serious problems with people staying here without visas. Look at all the scammers on Sukhumvit road, the passport forgers etc. They have their eye on Sois 1 - 5 on Sukhumvit believe me and there will be much activity in this area in the new year.

You can be 99% certain that after the 90 day period is up, all foreigners will be having their passporst checked in order to weed out the long time overstayers.

Well said :o

– younger than 50 years

– not married to a Thai

---------------

Maestro

I posted a query on behalf of just such a person a week or two back. He is not one of your illegals, just an under 50 guy with a genuine income of around 80K Baht per month from outside Thailand who has a medical condition and wishes to live here without working or rushing to the border every few months.

Nobody is asking for the law to be changed to suit him, just for a reasonable "case by case" assessment to be made to check that he is indeed "legal". and not one of the undesirables.

Jr; a bit tired of you stating that people "grandfathered" in (like me, investment visa) think that we are safe, and are judging others here. That is certainly not the case.

WIll I get my yearly extensions? We will see, but I am not taking it for granted.

The main gap that the abolishment of the investor visa created was the large group of financially independant singles under 50 (with no plans/desire to work).

I can see others getting caught by rule changes too - married that can not show 40k income, retirees having to wait 3 months with 800k in account Etc.

By now you seem to have understood the visa rules (after many corrections :D ) so I suggest YOU do something - looking forward to see your letter in BKK post! (unless you suggest demonstrations in Lumpini park?).

Cheers!

JR Texas (51, USA): Reply to Firefan: Thanks for acknowledging that you read one of my diatribes and are not so sure about what the future will bring (I am trying hard now to be brief and to the point).

The Bangkok Post and the Nation will not publish anything that is not politically correct. Worthless rags.............

I have strong opinions about what is happening. I do not see it as a minor change related to crime. I see it as a poorly-thought-out-xenophobic reaction to foreigners, especially low-income foreigners.

The only other alternative explanation that makes sense to me is that they are totally nuts (hopefully a case of temporary insanity).

In my view, what they are doing is a form of social cleansing.....all related to Thaksin's twisted mind. He is gone........I think his ideas underpinning the new visa/business rules and regulations should go with him.

The next two months should be interesting. I am hoping for the best, but things do not look good right now.

For the record, I know well off expats that have already left. I know of others that are preparing to leave, again well off. And I know of one well off Thai woman who is selling all of her assets and preparing to leave. I don't think any person has talked about this.....even some Thais are getting out.

Whether we agree or disagree, good luck Firefan. We all need it. :o

I think the point we and the goverment are all missing here is Thailand needs tourist money to boost the economy. If it gets harder and harder to get visas etc, people will just go elsewhere.

I have lived in Thailand 6 years and comunute in and out on a 30 day visa as it was easy because I go to work a month at a time. I am now looking to get a 1 year visa from hull. I cant understand why make it so hard if they want to stop the visa runners etc and make them pay for visas which appears to be the main reason for all this to raise incomecharge us all $50 or equivelent on arrival give a six month visa and have done with it. I have already mentioned to my wife and family that we may go live elsewhere if things get too difficult. Much as I love Thailand there are lots other places.

I was not asked to show a medical certificate.

Maybe I just look so darn healthy! :o

When was this ? Their recently updated website has this certificate requirement added.

If he got a work permit then he would have to hire 4 thais to sit around and diddle themselves all day while he does his online trading for a few hours.

This not true. You do not need any Thais employed to get a work permit.

Think this will be on my tombstone

Here lies the Man, who

stated many times

"No Thai employees

needed to get a work permit"

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com