Wall collapse closes Phuket road

webfact

Wall collapse closes Phuket road
Eakkapop Thongtub

1468300799_1-org.jpg
It is believed that recent heavy rain caused the retaining wall to collapse. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- One lane of Thung Kha Rd in Rassada remains closed today (July 12) following the collapse of a retaining wall yesterday (July 11) which is believed to have been caused by recent heavy rain.

The wall is the property of property development company Pruksa Ville who recently purchased the adjoining land for a new development project.

Phuket Public Relations Department were informed of the collapse at 6pm yesterday and immediately sent out telecommunications official Preedee Aengsang to inspect the site which is close to the entrance to Si Suchat Grand View 2.

Mr Preedee was joined on the inspection by officials from the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation and Rassada Municipality.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/wall-collapse-closes-phuket-road-58222.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-07-12

The PR department was informed and sent a telecommunications official? What? How can that guy do an "inspection"?

Shouldn't this be an issue for the DLT or similar? The priorities are SO wrong...

I don't see even one support post along that entire stretch.

Support post? facepalm.gif No Pops, what you would have expected to see is professionally designed and installed reinforced concrete retaining wall arranged say in 6 metre bays with typically a 20mm joint between bays. Where excessive passive earth pressures are determined, provision for weep holes using small cast-in pipes at finished ground level would have been shown and placed as per the engineer’s specification for the works. The wall should have been cast in formwork as a continuous vertical item but as the photo clearly shows the structure was formed in 3 pours and not particularly well either leaving no real structural integrity in the finished wall. A previous poster mentioned thinness of the wall but I estimate the wall to be approximately 3 metres high and therefore a thickness of 200mm would have been okay using H12 bars at 200mm centres each way would have been a reasonable design if professionally installed. If by ‘posts’ you meant the use of buttress columns, that would have meant the elements intruding into the pavement and no engineer would have been that incompetent. As mentioned previously I normally charge for my services but as I don’t need the cash at the moment please make a donation to your local police or treat the wife to some more of the gold bling they so adore.

This epitomizes the construction industry on Phuket.

Slap it together, with the cheapest design, materials, and Burmese laborers, then sell it to a foreigner, and walk away with the money, never to be seen again.

In this case, they never got to sell it before the construction failed.

Readers should take note of this development.

Edited by NamKangMan