90 Day Rule Being Wrongly Applied?

Some help please on behalf of a friend.

He is currently in Thailand on a tourist visa issued in penang for a 60 day stay, but extended for another 30 days at Jomtien. (He has a UK passport) This visa was obtained after 1st October, and will expire in early January. Hoever, when he was at Jomtien doing the extension, they told him that after the expiry in January he wolud have used up all his 90 days and would not be allowed back in for 90days.

This seems to go contrary to the infomation that the 90 day restriction applied only to those who entered Thailand with no visa and got a 30 visa exemption stamp.

Anybody else heard of this or could it just be a misunderstanding?

Some help please on behalf of a friend.

He is currently in Thailand on a tourist visa issued in penang for a 60 day stay, but extended for another 30 days at Jomtien. (He has a UK passport) This visa was obtained after 1st October, and will expire in early January. Hoever, when he was at Jomtien doing the extension, they told him that after the expiry in January he wolud have used up all his 90 days and would not be allowed back in for 90days.

This seems to go contrary to the infomation that the 90 day restriction applied only to those who entered Thailand with no visa and got a 30 visa exemption stamp.

Misunderstanding.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

It's not a misunderstanding. It's basically the rule : visas exemption AND regulars tourist visas are for tourism purpose. In this case : 90 days in Thailand max, 90 days out.

Many people continue to believe in santa claus, but the more we get information from the ground, the more it appears that the party is over.

Peruse the forum here about the differents thais embassy, and the whole picture will start to emerge.

I don't understand how Sunbelt can say the contrary : if the rule is fully applied, it won't be possible anymore to live full time in Thailand on "tourism visas" (exemption or 60 days). That's the spirit of the rule.

Okay I agree, we need to be sure on the ground. But once again, the spirit of the rule is very clear.

It's not a misunderstanding. It's basically the rule : visas exemption AND regulars tourist visas are for tourism purpose. In this case : 90 days in Thailand max, 90 days out.

Many people continue to believe in santa claus, but the more we get information from the ground, the more it appears that the party is over.

Peruse the forum here about the differents thais embassy, and the whole picture will start to emerge.

I don't understand how Sunbelt can say the contrary : if the rule is fully applied, it won't be possible anymore to live full time in Thailand on "tourism visas" (exemption or 60 days). That's the spirit of the rule.

Okay I agree, we need to be sure on the ground. But once again, the spirit of the rule is very clear.

100% WRONG! .. take your own advice and "peruse" a little deeper. Better yet .. "peruse" a Thai Embassy site .. like I did.

This may become the case later, but it is NOT what the announcement said.

The original statement from immigration referred to the 30 day visa exemption stamp.

Embassies refusing tourist visas...

If the VOA is equally seen as a tourist visa, then what? After three VOAs you won't get a tourist visa and/or if you stayed with a tourist visa, you won't get a VOA anymore.

This is the end my friend... :o

Anyone answer the following scenario ? :- Tourist visa granted Penang before 1st Oct > entered Thailand before 1st Oct , told to renew within thailand for one month additional after 1st 2 months had elapsed. After completing 3rd then would have to leave Thailand and could then return on 30 day visa runs for a total of 90 days >>>>> Then would have to be out of Thailand for 90 days before returning.

However Second Immigration Official said in this case that after the 3 x 30 day runs had been completed , the tourist would have to stay out of Thailand 6 months before returning .

The date 1st Oct important because the rule enforcement came into effect on that date.

So, is it 90 out or 180 days out ??? Sunbelt , you guys appear to be the fundis ?

The date 1st Oct important because the rule enforcement came into effect on that date.

So, is it 90 out or 180 days out ??? Sunbelt , you guys appear to be the fundis ?

It is 90 days out of 180 days of tourist visa exemption days. If you have a visa obtained at a Embassy/Consulate these days do not count towards your quota of 90 tourist visa exemption days.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

It is 90 days out of 180 days of tourist visa exemption days. If you have a visa obtained at a Embassy/Consulate these days do not count towards your quota of 90 tourist visa exemption days.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Thank you Sunbelt,

So do you have to stay out of Thailand for 90 days or stay out of Thailand for 180 days ? before you can return ?

The fact is this.

Now thailand can control who can come in for more than 90 days per 180 days through their embassies/ consulates. If you have a non imm visa or another long stay visa or extension your fine. If you have a tourist visa you will be fine as well, but first you have to get one, but the tourist visa is not gaurenteed, so if your tourist visa application is rejected, its bye bye for 90 days. So if you use your 90 days on visa exempt stamps up and you crawl into an embassy/ consulate and try to get a tourist visa, im pretty sure they will know what you are trying to do and they may re-fuse you. So yes, the days you spend here on a tourist visa do not count towards your 90 days, but unlike the free visa exempt stamp, the tourist visa application could be refused. So i would plan other ways to stay here, im sure come January, all the consulates will be filling up with tourist visa applicants with 90 days worth of visa exempt Days already used in their passport.....................what do you think they are gonna do. Most likely refuse your tourist visa and tell you to go elsewhere, remember, it is their right to re-fuse a visa.

Good luck to everyone. I cant wait to hear the sotries that will be comming around the end of the year. Then again, this is Thailand, they might scrap this new rule all together....................

The fact is this.

Now thailand can control who can come in for more than 90 days per 180 days through their embassies/ consulates. If you have a non imm visa or another long stay visa or extension your fine. If you have a tourist visa you will be fine as well, but first you have to get one, but the tourist visa is not gaurenteed, so if your tourist visa application is rejected, its bye bye for 90 days. So if you use your 90 days on visa exempt stamps up and you crawl into an embassy/ consulate and try to get a tourist visa, im pretty sure they will know what you are trying to do and they may re-fuse you. So yes, the days you spend here on a tourist visa do not count towards your 90 days, but unlike the free visa exempt stamp, the tourist visa application could be refused. So i would plan other ways to stay here, im sure come January, all the consulates will be filling up with tourist visa applicants with 90 days worth of visa exempt Days already used in their passport.....................what do you think they are gonna do. Most likely refuse your tourist visa and tell you to go elsewhere, remember, it is their right to re-fuse a visa.

Good luck to everyone. I cant wait to hear the sotries that will be comming around the end of the year. Then again, this is Thailand, they might scrap this new rule all together....................

Maybe, someone can answer the question :- Do you stay OUT of Thailand for 90 days or 180 days before you can return.

Thank you Sunbelt,

So do you have to stay out of Thailand for 90 days or stay out of Thailand for 180 days ? before you can return ?

Correct or simply get a visa at a Embassy/Consulate or get a extension of stay permit inside Thailand.

The fact is this.

You are correct. Depends on the Embassy/Consulate. Also been hearing stories from Filipinos at the airport when they are flying out to get the 90 day non immigrant visa. They are being asked to go to a second desk and asked "what they are doing here?" In these cases they have shown the WP3 from the Thai Government we have gotten them and the documents from the employer and are patted on the back for getting legal and let pass Immigration.You could be flagged even leaving Thailand. Please note these cases where ones, where for years they have been doing 30 day visa runs. It will not be a walk in the park for people flying out, if they haven't done so for years. ( History of doing the visa bus runs to Cambodia)

Do you stay OUT of Thailand for 90 days or 180 days before you can return.

90 days. Unless you get the visa.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

The whole point (as I see it) is, that

either there is no communication between the various authorities concerned with this matter, and lots of incompetent people in competent offices just give their uninformed opinion away as gospel, or, there is a master plan behind all this confusion. There have been quite a lot of people I know very well that have been told either 180 days, or 90 days, or Visa as well as 30 day stamps count, or only 30 day stamps count, or even one case where (at a consulate not too far away) a friend was refused another tourist Visa (back in early September) and been told that noone can get more than one Single Tourist Visa within 180 Days. Personally I feel safe here, married to a lovely Thai wife and having a Work Permit, but I really wonder why there has to be so much confusion, and no obvious logic in the enforcement of the rules.

No more than 90 Days with stamps, ok. Get the people to the embassies in order to scrutinize them, ok. But why aren't the Embassies doing their job, getting info about the applicant, and then deciding in a case by case wether to grant him a T Visa, or a Multi-O or Multi-B, or nothing? That was the saying of the authorities back in September, I remember. I still believe that Visa extensions could be made at the Immigration Offices in Thailand, with as much research into everyone's situation and circumstances, as seems fit to the authorities.

Ok, worthless mumbling I know, but at least I feel much better now!

Sunny