Turkish military says seized control, people take to streets

rooster59

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching the Turkish military walking off the bridge, hands high in the air.

Massive Fail !

Talk about getting owned. They're be a few spinchtas puckering ATM.

Big mistake. There should have been some officers and NCOs standing behind them with orders to shoot to kill if they surrendered.

If I'm Putin, and this coup is reflective of the ability and backbone of the Turkish military, I might just walk in and take over the entire country. Already know that Obama and the rest of Nato will probably turn and run with their tails between their legs.

What kind of values does the coup attempting military hold? I tried to ask this from couple of journalist, and never got an reply. Nobody seems to know at the moment.

Erdogan has been an arse for a long time and it's good if he goes or be killed. But before hoping this to happen, it would be nice to know what is going to be his replacement.

Any ideas?

My thoughts exactly.

Are they Islamists?

This should enhance their chances of EU membership, exactly the type of country to take up the Brexit slack. rolleyes.gif

Wonder if Mad Merkel will continue to push for fast tracking the application but I suppose even she will have to wait for the dust to settle and see who the last man standing is.

What's the chances of comments locally that it will not affect LoS, tourism or the economy ?

Its coming from the TAT lady that is guaranteed. In fact she will no doubt spin it and say it means an increase in tourism for Thailand. They never miss a beat

Now the Coup has fail Erdogan will prosecute to the full. Expect little mercy and Jihadist style maximun executions after Kangaroo courts. Turkey will further embrace radical Islam . Happy times Europe you just guaranteed the back door is open

So are we now talking about an Islamist Turkey, or a secularist Turkey? It has pretty wide-ranging implications.

Turkey has been moving away from Secularism for many years now. Certain not the vision Kemal Ataturk had for his Nation.

Tayyip Erdogan: Rise

1970s-1980s - Active in Islamist circles, member of Necmettin Erbakan's Welfare Party

1994-1998 - Mayor of Istanbul, until military officers made power grab

1998 - Welfare Party banned, Erdogan jailed for four months for inciting religious hatred

Aug 2001 - Founds Islamist-rooted AKP with ally Abdullah Gul

2002-2003 - AKP wins solid majority in parliamentary election, Erdogan appointed prime minister

Aug 2014 - Becomes president after first-ever direct elections for head of state

Al Jazeera cutrently live coverage of acting army Chief of Staff announcing that the coup has been unsuccessful with hundreds now in custody (or dead). 'Sounds like the fat lady has crooned with unpleasant times ahead for those involved.

Hmmm - if you're a fleeing Turkish army officer, where do you flee to? Syria?

Edited by hawker9000

Thailand's militaries nightmare in a nutshell. After a significant event a populist leader takes to social media and asks his supporters to come out in their millions peacefully to support democracy. What does the army do then ?

Except that's not what happens in Turkey.

The elected government erodes democracy and secularism, the elected aspiring dictator called upon his islamist voters to support him...

Sad news coming from Turkey, it seems like Erdogan is winning.

I'm surprised they staged a coup without first making sure they would arrest the government and top people in command to prevent them from using their levers. Rather strange.

Thailand's militaries nightmare in a nutshell. After a significant event a populist leader takes to social media and asks his supporters to come out in their millions peacefully to support democracy. What does the army do then ?

Except that's not what happens in Turkey.

The elected government erodes democracy and secularism, the elected aspiring dictator called upon his islamist voters to support him...

Sad news coming from Turkey, it seems like Erdogan is winning.

I'm surprised they staged a coup without first making sure they would arrest the government and top people in command to prevent them from using their levers. Rather strange.

Sad news indeed, but I predict Turkey is so unstable that Erdogan can go at any time. Next coup attempt will be Iran, let's hope that one is more successful.

Nato chief: "full respect" for Turkish government

Natos chief has issued a call for full respect for Turkeys democratic institutions and constitution, according to the Associated Press. Nato secretary-general Jens Stoltenberg said in a statement:

I have just spoken to the Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu. I am following events in Turkey closely and with concern.

The statement continued, I call for calm and restraint, and full respect for Turkeys democratic institutions and its constitution. ...Turkey is a valued Nato ally.

It might have escaped your attention but a certain Erdogan has been doing his utmost to destroy Turkey's democratic institutions and its constitution.

This coming from a NATO chief is beyond unbelievable.

Without the NATO chiefs' comment, can easily replace Turkey and Erdogan with Th...... And Th.....

Same same.

Well, every set now for the EU membership then; don't forget to call Angela Merkel in Berlin.

And if you're at it remind her of that unfunny German comedian who needs to be sued by the German supreme court too ..........

On her last visit to Ankara the Turkish immigration officer asked her "Occupation?" to which she replied "No, just staying a few days!"

If Erdogan wins, he'll go full Islamic now.

And a massive amount of the population will be with him , you cant trust any of this lot sad.png and Merky wants to let them into the E.U thank God we are out .

Erdogan is indeed a dangerous authotarian bastard. Getting rid of critical media, removing such people from positions in the militairy etc. Granting himself more powers. But despite all that he was democraticaly elected... I don't understand why but apparantly a lot of Turks buy into Edro's and AKP's nationalistic nonsense of a great and important Turkey. Reviving the good old days of the Ottoman empire. But such nationalistic crap sells well, you see it happening in lots of other countries including the west.

As for Merkel (why do some here call her a liberal? She's a conservative, the party she leads is an obvious give away for that), I do only recall that she and some others agreed to keep on talking about EU membership. But that does not equal desiring that Turkey joins. And even if some would... It's a long shot away from meeting the requirements so Turkey won't be able to join for a very long time (decades atleast and with the direction Erdogan is taking Turkey will never be able to join).

And a massive amount of the population will be with him , you cant trust any of this lot sad.png and Merky wants to let them into the E.U thank God we are out .

Erdogan is indeed a dangerous authotarian bastard. Getting rid of critical media, removing such people from positions in the militairy etc. Granting himself more powers. But despite all that he was democraticaly elected... I don't understand why but apparantly a lot of Turks buy into Edro's and AKP's nationalistic nonsense of a great and important Turkey. Reviving the good old days of the Ottoman empire. But such nationalistic crap sells well, you see it happening in lots of other countries including the west.

As for Merkel (why do some here call her a liberal? She's a conservative, the party she leads is an obvious give away for that), I do only recall that she and some others agreed to keep on talking about EU membership. But that does not equal desiring that Turkey joins. And even if some would... It's a long shot away from meeting the requirements so Turkey won't be able to join for a very long time (decades atleast and with the direction Erdogan is taking Turkey will never be able to join).

Turks have visum free entrance to Europe.

let's continue to bankroll the Greek.

As long as the Greek are in the EU, the Turks won't come in.