Australian citizen travelling to Australia on a Thai Passport?

Just received Australian citizenship for our 4 month Thai / Australian child (born Thailand). Just wondering how everything works ie travel?

Don't particularly want to apply for an Aussie passport just yet but getting him a Thai passport....

How does it all work? A few scenarios...

1) He holds only a Thai passport and travels to Aus.... Can he travel to Australia on a Thai passport without getting an Aussie visa as he is an Aus citizen?

2) He holds an Aussie and a Thai passport and he travels to Aus.....Does he need to show both passports or has a choice or better to use Aussie passport or Thai?

Not sure about Australia but certainly neither the U.K. nor the U.S. will issue a Visa to anyone who is entitled to claim that Nationality, you are expected to obtain the correct Passport.

If he holds both Passports then you should show the Australian Passport when entering that Country.

Patrick

Need Visa if travel on Thai passport - Get both, don't wait

Be aware, I was in same position, my son has oz citizenship and a thai passport, but no oz passport, he was not allowed a visa for his thai passport to enter Australia because they cannot issue a visa for an Australian citizen. He must have an Australian passport to enter Australia, which he now has.

When exitting Thailand, he leaves on his thai passport and enters on his Australian passport

• Like 1

If you carry a copy of his Australian citizenship and assuming you fly on a decent airline (not budget),

you will more than likely receive permission for him to fly to Oz.

The airline should contact the Entry Operations Centre in Canberra to receive uplift approval.

Not sure why you would bother with all of the possible hassles and delay's though.

If you get an incompetent/lazy airline official, he might get reused permission to fly

and that would ruin the holiday for everyone..

You've obtained citizenship so just fork out the jaspers and get him a passport I reckon.

• Like 1

If you carry a copy of his Australian citizenship and assuming you fly on a decent airline (not budget),

The airline should contact the Entry Operations Centre in Canberra to receive uplift approval.

Not sure why you would bother with all of the possible hassles and delay's though.

If you get an incompetent/lazy airline official, he might get reused permission to fly

You've obtained citizenship so just fork out the jaspers and get him a passport I reckon.

Nobody flying on a thai passport can enter Australia without a visa, it costs about 8000bht to get a visa, and a lot of stuffing around with paperwork,identifications,etc, etc, he wont even get through customs in Bangkok without the visa, let alone on the plane.

Australian citizens are not eligible for a visa because they are Australians they MUST HAVE an Australian passport. My son was able to visit Australia on a thai passport with a visa before he had Australian citizenship by descent because he was classed as a thai citizen then.

Nobody flying on a thai passport can enter Australia without a visa, it costs about 8000bht to get a visa, and a lot of stuffing around with paperwork,identifications,etc, etc, he wont even get through customs in Bangkok without the visa, let alone on the plane.

Australian citizens are not eligible for a visa because they are Australians they MUST HAVE an Australian passport. My son was able to visit Australia on a thai passport with a visa before he had Australian citizenship by descent because he was classed as a thai citizen then.

I wasn't saying he should fly in on a Thai passport.

He would/should be able to fly in if the parents show his citizenship certificate.

People can and do get uplift approval to fly into Australia without a passport.

But as stated, it can be time consuming and problematic.

Like I advised, best to get an Australian passport and avoid the grief.

** Edit: It is meant to be for a one off situation or an emergency. Not standard practice.

Edited by Will27

Would i be right in assuming just as easy to do later as it would be now? I'm not one to put things off but we live up country and looks like you have to apply in person at Bangkok. Kids passport only 5 years also and in reallity we have no plans to travel to Australia in the immediate future. More likely if we travel in the next few years will be to Asian countries and his Thai passport will cover that

machans - I meant entering on a Thai passport with visa as a Thai, no mention of being an Australian whatsoever

A citizen certificate does not allow a person to freely enter the country, it just stops the person from being sent back while documentation allowing legal entry is processed. I have no idea how many hours / days at the airport that takes

The international rules are simple, followed by most countries in the world, and works both ways. Dual nationals leave the country on the passport of the country they are leaving and enter on the passport of country they enter

Both ways works pretty well in Thailand now actually. Thai immigration at Suvarnabpumi airport denied a 13 year old British/Thai teenage girl from leaving Thailand with her Thai mother (on a blank British passport) less than 6 months ago, information from a case where I was interpretor in Juvenile court here a while back. Must say I am happy that Thai immigration seem to do a much better job with juveniles nowadays

Edited by MikeyIdea

I wasn't saying he should fly in on a Thai passport.

He would/should be able to fly in if the parents show his citizenship certificate.

People can and do get uplift approval to fly into Australia without a passport.

But as stated, it can be time consuming and problematic.

Like I advised, best to get an Australian passport and avoid the grief.

** Edit: It is meant to be for a one off situation or an emergency. Not standard practice.

Will27 is 100% correct in what he has written. DIBP can not refuse entry to into Australia of an Australia citizen, having an Australia passport makes the process much much easier, but if you make it to Australia and are a citizen and they can confirm this, then they can't refuse you entry because you don't have an Australian passport.

Will27 has covered the rest in his post about uplift approval, which will be the first hurdle.

Edited by Surin13
  • Like 1

machans - I meant entering on a Thai passport with visa as a Thai, no mention of being an Australian whatsoever

A citizen certificate does not allow a person to freely enter the country, it just stops the person from being sent back while documentation allowing legal entry is processed. I have no idea how many hours / days at the airport that takes

The international rules are simple, followed by most countries in the world, and works both ways. Dual nationals leave the country on the passport of the country they are leaving and enter on the passport of country they enter

Both ways works pretty well in Thailand now actually. Thai immigration at Suvarnabpumi airport denied a 13 year old British/Thai teenage girl from leaving Thailand with her Thai mother (on a blank British passport) less than 6 months ago, information from a case where I was interpretor in Juvenile court here a while back. Must say I am happy that Thai immigration seem to do a much better job with juveniles nowadays

There is no documentation to be processed. It should take no longer than a 10 minute phone call while EOC check the database for citizenship confirmation.

Anyway, it's a moot point now as the OP doesn't require a passport for his son straight away.

There is no documentation to be processed. It should take no longer than a 10 minute phone call while EOC check the database for citizenship confirmation.

Anyway, it's a moot point now as the OP doesn't require a passport for his son straight away.

There is indeed documentation to be processed, and a couple of obligatory approvals too. Lost passports must be explained, the reason for why an Australian Citizen comes without a passport must be documented. Approval process didn't disappear in the digital age, it just got digital

Edited by MikeyIdea

There is indeed documentation to be processed, and a couple of obligatory approvals too. Lost passports must be explained, the reason for why an Australian Citizen comes without a passport must be documented. Approval process didn't disappear in the digital age, it just got digital

An example. A family rocks up at the airport in Thailand with no Australian passport for their baby who has been given Australian citizenship.

Family says they didn't think the baby needed a passport. The rest all have visas (if required ) or Oz passports and tickets to Australia.

If there is an Immigration officer from Australia working at the time, they will ask some relevant questions and confirm with EOC the babies citizenship.

If no officer on duty, someone from the airline will ring EOC to get uplift approval for the baby.

There is no documentation to be processed. The only approval required will be from an officer working at the EOC.

Verbal approval will be given over the phone to the Immigration officer or airline official. It will then be noted on the Immigration database.

Assuming everything is in order, it's is a 10 minute process.

I don't know what gives you the idea it takes hours or days.

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/07/2016 at 4:51 PM, Will27 said:

An example. A family rocks up at the airport in Thailand with no Australian passport for their baby who has been given Australian citizenship.

Family says they didn't think the baby needed a passport. The rest all have visas (if required ) or Oz passports and tickets to Australia.

If there is an Immigration officer from Australia working at the time, they will ask some relevant questions and confirm with EOC the babies citizenship.

If no officer on duty, someone from the airline will ring EOC to get uplift approval for the baby.

There is no documentation to be processed. The only approval required will be from an officer working at the EOC.

Verbal approval will be given over the phone to the Immigration officer or airline official. It will then be noted on the Immigration database.

Assuming everything is in order, it's is a 10 minute process.

I don't know what gives you the idea it takes hours or days.

They won't even get past Thai immigration :) 

A Thai immigration officer has policies and procedures he must follow and he is not allowed to allow a citizen of any country to pass without a valid passport. This will go on to the Thai immigration supervisor on duty and he also has policies and procedures that he must follow

Thailand is not a banana republic. Child trafficking is hot and Thailand is doing a pretty good job controlling it. 

It is possible of course and they will eventually get through but it will be documented and approvals are needed

Edited by MikeyIdea

30 minutes ago, MikeyIdea said:

They won't even get past Thai immigration :) 

A Thai immigration officer has policies and procedures he must follow and he is not allowed to allow a citizen of any country to pass without a valid passport. This will go on to the Thai immigration supervisor on duty and he also has policies and procedures that he must follow

Thailand is not a banana republic. Child trafficking is hot and Thailand is doing a pretty good job controlling it. 

It is possible of course and they will eventually get through but it will be documented and approvals are needed

This all gets sorted at the check in counter before it hit's Thai Immigration.

Thai immigration then get advised by the Australian Immigration Officer.

It's irrelevant whether it's a child or adult.

It's also happen at all international airports, not just Thailand.

We'll have to agree t disagree I'm afraid.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...