No, 2,000 teak trees won't be cut for new Parliament - more like 5,000

snoop1130

If the teak is harvested from managed forests, it shouldn't be an issue.

We can't plant enough trees. I've been on a tree planting crusade for years, grown from seed or cuttings and planted along the river on which I live. I suppose that makes me a tree hugger?

Occasional floods, and rabbits take their toll, but I'm still in front, with probably 5000+ planted in the past 20 years.

Forget an epitaph.....plant a tree.

"If the teak is harvested from managed forests, it shouldn't be an issue" - So that's where your theory falls flat on its face .....if only life was that simple

Edited by cumgranosalum

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"The forest has been logged off, depleted and the eco-system gone with it together with all other species of birds and animals. Re-planting and re-foresting helped restored that deficit. "

I don't see how it has helped much. I spend a lot of time hiking and biking in forests that were planted over twenty years ago. There is actually very little wildlife inhabiting these forests. Replanting cut old growth rainforest with mono species forest just isn't the same.

Thailand still has a lot of "pristine or near pristine forest.....but it is of course under threat - and those who promulgate the falsity that replanting is a "sustainable" approach are making misleading claims.

so the source of these trees is important - and furthermore how that land came to be the source is also important.

Thailand at present is making a big deal of seed bombing, but how effective this is remains to be seen. There are so many factors involved in this yet they seem to be putting it forward as a solution to all our problems - but TiT!

Found this appropriate youtube video:-

Deforestation is a problem worldwide. In 2013 signs are visible of a hefty deforestation taking place in Thailand. Project lifecycle is there to protect whats left.

Save our rain forests! Prime Minister. Use another material beside wood.

Edited by Wilsonandson

All the tree-huggers go boo-hoo about the utilisation of a renewable resource. Meanwhile, national park land is reclaimed from those who have usurped it. Will that result in more trees or less?

So your take on anyone who cares about 5000 teak trees is they are 'tree huggers'? we know your posts over the years and compassion or anything even nearing it is, largely, absent

I believe the posts, here and elsewhere, calling for bamboo to be used is an extremely good one. Bamboo has more strength than tensile steel and can grow at 1m per day. It too, is traditionally Asian, (albeit perhaps Thai exceptionalism may preclude it's use in this particular Asian country), BUT, casein preserved bamboo has been China's material of choice for upward of 200 years, many of which constructions are still standing. It would also be very much in line with HM King's Sufficiency Economy. Which can only be a Jolly Good Thing.

I believe the posts, here and elsewhere, calling for bamboo to be used is an extremely good one. Bamboo has more strength than tensile steel and can grow at 1m per day. It too, is traditionally Asian, (albeit perhaps Thai exceptionalism may preclude it's use in this particular Asian country), BUT, casein preserved bamboo has been China's material of choice for upward of 200 years, many of which constructions are still standing. It would also be very much in line with HM King's Sufficiency Economy. Which can only be a Jolly Good Thing.

I think you need to read up on bamboo.

Not all bamboo is the same for a start.

It is used in modern "green" prefabs. treated and sandwiched in honeycomb type prefab modular sections; otherwise one of the main characteristics of bamboo is that it is incredibly short-lived and limited in size and shape.

A normal bamboo house relies on a constant supply of bamboo nearby to replenish the parts that disintegrate as a result of rot and insect damage. It is certainly not a good alternative for the kind of architecture proposed for the thai Government buildings.

furthermore bamboo is a weed in many circumstances - introducing it in places where it isn't native can be devastating on the local flora and fauna, largely due to its rapid growth and colonisation of wherever it is planted.

In real life there is not universal panacea - for every action there is a reaction - it is a conservationists/ecologists job to calculate many of these ramifications before they do irreparable ham - but if you are looking for a catch-all solution, you are barking up the wrong tree...

Edited by cumgranosalum