METV £5K Funds Requirement

Here is one report claiming that the full 5K wasn't in the account for the 6 months, and they still got the visa. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/870548-the-multiple-entry-tourist-visa-topic-metv/?p=10231380

That was shortly after the METV was launched and I would suspect they will be less flexible now.

Here is one report claiming that the full 5K wasn't in the account for the 6 months, and they still got the visa. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/870548-the-multiple-entry-tourist-visa-topic-metv/?p=10231380

That was shortly after the METV was launched and I would suspect they will be less flexible now.

'I would suspect' is not a good response.

Harrison, give them a call to ascertain the correct requirement.

Simple.

Enjoy.

Simple.

Enjoy.

It's an opinion!

Good advice, but I suspect you've never tried to call the Thai Embassy in London.

Simple.

Enjoy.

Unless you have the correct extension number be prepared to hold on for hours, yes and I do mean 'Hours' just to get someone to pick the phone up.

Without the correct extension number, it is hard work.I cannot think of a worse place to have to call than the Thai Embassy in London.

Good luck because you will need it!!

Edited by Ronuk

I'm also about to apply for the METV in London and was wondering what that means.  Do they really mean having a balance of 5K every month for 6 months or 5K of income over that period?  Does it have to be a current account or would a savings account be OK?

1 minute ago, damole said:

I'm also about to apply for the METV in London and was wondering what that means.  Do they really mean having a balance of 5K every month for 6 months or 5K of income over that period?  Does it have to be a current account or would a savings account be OK?

• They mean a minimum of £5K balance for 6 months.
  • A savings account should be accepted. There is no mention of it needing to be a current account.
  • Like 1

For what it is worth, given the differing interpretation of this policy, I can confirm that in Shanghai the requirement is for proof of a minimum balance of at least GBP5,000 (equivalent) for a period of over 180 days immediately prior to the application being submitted. In China bank statements and passbooks were not accepted, only a formal letter from the bank confirming the above funds requirement had been met

I would make absolutely sure you know exactly what type(or types) of proof they require before making the application. It will save wasted visits as I experienced in Shanghai.

Maybe worth a visit to your bank and see what they might be able to provide.

Hope this helps

They are not strict, I sent a statement to them and the statement was for about 3 months with at least 5K showing, I was having an issue with my printer, so thought <deleted>, I will send what I could. No probs got my 5th MEV in a row :)

1 hour ago, hammers72 said:

They are not strict, I sent a statement to them and the statement was for about 3 months with at least 5K showing, I was having an issue with my printer, so thought <deleted>, I will send what I could. No probs got my 5th MEV in a row :)

How have you managed to get 5 METV's since last November?

• Like 2

I spoke to them personally and explained that this was the only way I could visit my family as I am under 50, they said no problem, however if there was 1 overstay of even a day it would of been declined, I sometimes do not use the whole 6 months, maybe 3 months or 4 months too and I have never extended. The were very helpful and I guess they realise I have the finances to fly back and forth into the UK and pay the £125 each time.

5 hours ago, hammers72 said:

I spoke to them personally and explained that this was the only way I could visit my family as I am under 50, they said no problem, however if there was 1 overstay of even a day it would of been declined, I sometimes do not use the whole 6 months, maybe 3 months or 4 months too and I have never extended. The were very helpful and I guess they realise I have the finances to fly back and forth into the UK and pay the £125 each time.

Do they actually deny issuing a METV if you have overstay, even for one day, in your history?

That was new to me.

Yep they do and it is something that they are very strict on now, they have already clamped down on overstays and are issuing bans. I was worried about the amount of MEV'S I had in my passport as they were all concurrent but the embassy assured me that as I was doing everything properly and had never overstayed they were happy to continue to do so.

I think your somewhat confused on what Visas you've held hammers.

The METV (multi entry tourist visa) was only introduced last November. Prior to November 2015, only single or double entry TV were available.

Methinks you had double entry Tourist Visas which would allow a stay of up to the 3/4 months you describe without any extensions.

With 30 day extensions you could have had a stay of up to 6 months.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, hammers72 said:

Yep they do and it is something that they are very strict on now, they have already clamped down on overstays and are issuing bans. I was worried about the amount of MEV'S I had in my passport as they were all concurrent but the embassy assured me that as I was doing everything properly and had never overstayed they were happy to continue to do so.

I have never heard of anyone being denied a visa from the Embassy or Consulates in the UK due to any amount of overstay so, with respect, I think anyone reading this thread should ignore you're claim until it's corroborated. Unless the applicant was banned from Thailand there is absolutely no reason why a visa would be denied. Especially to Brits who can turn up and enter using visa exempt entry even with an overstay. 

• Like 1