The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

I am at the kl embassy and was just informed that they are not giving out multiple entries to anyone. The guy offered me the standard single and advised me to goto the immigration office in Thailand and request that they give me a multiple entry. I asked him how they would do that if the sticker clearly states single. He said he didn't know and that's all he had to say about the matter. The Thai embassy website clearly states metv is available. The guy at the counter just kept saying he didn't know anything about that and all he could offer is a single entry. Feels like I wasted a trip to kl.

I am at the kl embassy and was just informed that they are not giving out multiple entries to anyone. The guy offered me the standard single and advised me to goto the immigration office in Thailand and request that they give me a multiple entry. I asked him how they would do that if the sticker clearly states single. He said he didn't know and that's all he had to say about the matter. The Thai embassy website clearly states metv is available. The guy at the counter just kept saying he didn't know anything about that and all he could offer is a single entry. Feels like I wasted a trip to kl.

The METV is only available if you are Malay or resident in Malaysia.

• If you want a METV you need to apply in your home country or a country you have residence.
  • You cannot get a multi entry from immigration in Thailand. All you can do is apply for a 30 day extension of stay.

insignificant amount of lost interest

I don't keep my money in a bank and get between 18-27% gain on my investment.

Someone earning 22.5% on their investments can afford to keep 8k in a low interest account for 6 months. If they choose not to then they can't have the METV. The majority of people are not as clever as you and don't make anywhere near that kind of return.

p.s. If they choose not to comply and buy the METV it will have zero impact on Thai tourism. Tourism being the purpose of tourist visas.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 2

Someone earning 22.5% on their investments can afford to keep 8k in a low interest account for 6 months. If they choose not to then they can't have the METV. The majority of people are not as clever as you and don't make anywhere near that kind of return.

p.s. If they choose not to comply and buy the METV it will have zero impact on Thai tourism. Tourism being the purpose of tourist visas.

I can see spending 100,000 baht per year for a flexible no-hassle TE visa.,Tying up money in a Thai bank account for a retirement extension where I could stay without ever leaving can make sense for some.,The idea of jumping through hoops and losing significant investment income for the sake of (maybe subject to consular official whim) receiving a tourist visa where I need to do border runs has little appeal.

I continue to be surprised that some members question the reasoning behind the METV when they have no information or statistics to justify the criticism. I am pretty sure the decision on the METV was not taken lightly, and that the people making the decision had all the relevant information to make an informed decision.

We have no evidence of exactly what they considered, but I envision competing groups / agendas, with a compromise result. This would explain the odd (nearly impossible to meet, for most) collection of restrictions. It is unlikely a coincidence, that at about the same time as the Doubles and Triples were eliminated for the METV, more earnest enforcement of the rule requiring reporting addresses began (TM-28 / TM-30).

And, no, I don't think "illegal workers" (English teachers, who could be eliminated in a day, with the real threat of jail-time to both the worker and the boss) had much to do with this - though it provides a convenient cover-story and rationale for IOs, at the enforcement-end of the chain of command.

At least two of the competing agendas would be the "maximize-tourism" group vs a "security / international-relations" group - the latter advancing a "Pivot to China" strategy, in light of the West providing direct material support to groups allied with separatists in both nations.

Rather than write country-specific rules that would ruffle feathers, they opted to make it harder for all those of "fighting age" to stay here as easily. This move stems the growth / training of a 5th column internally, and eschews participation in an active plot against her neighbour, China.

My own frustration with the rules, aside, I cannot fault Thailand's leaders, who have in impressive history of resisting grave threats to their sovereignty, and must deal with a larger geo-political picture.

I can see spending 100,000 baht per year for a flexible no-hassle TE visa.,Tying up money in a Thai bank account for a retirement extension where I could stay without ever leaving can make sense for some.,The idea of jumping through hoops and losing significant investment income for the sake of (maybe subject to consular official whim) receiving a tourist visa where I need to do border runs has little appeal.

I would anytime be willing to subject myself to the whims of an Embassy/Consular Official versus the whims of an Immigration Official ... and the appeal or not of border runs is a function of how close you live to the border.

I would anytime be willing to subject myself to the whims of an Embassy/Consular Official versus the whims of an Immigration Official ... and the appeal or not of border runs is a function of how close you live to the border.

I understand your point and, as a US national, I doubt you would be refused an METV. For some other nationalities, tying up US$8,000 in a bank account earning minimal interest so six months later you can apply for a tourist visa (and maybe be refused) would not be attractive. Speaking personally, I would be happy to show cash in bank at the time of application, or proof of investments valued at over the amount stated. I would rarely know six months ahead of time that I would want to apply for a tourist visa, nor would tying up that kind of cash because I might be something that would occur to me.

You are comparing options available for long term stay to the METV which is not. It's a tourist visa meant for frequently visiting tourists. It isn't a good option for long staying tourists and probably part of the reason for change.

• Like 1

The UN World Tourism Organization (UNWTO), of which Thailand is a Member State, roughly defines a tourist (visitor) as someone who travels outside their home country (usual environment) for less than a year. To meet this definition is maybe why the METV application is most readily submitted in one's home country (country of passport issuance). Someone who never goes home by that definition home isn't a tourist.

• Like 2

Rubbish. I still pay all my taxes in AU. Have a residence there and several investment properties. Fact that I can afford to travel world untill coffin time makes me not a tourist? I'm in los on non O. Fact is I could of been doing this when I was maybe 40+. Why do I need to apply for METV in own country. I exit thailand every few weeks and return. The metv would have been good option if I was young. Except for STUPID requirements

• Like 2

According to the UN World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) a Traveller is someone " ... who moves between different geographic locations, for any purpose and any duration ...." while a Tourist (Visitor) is "... a traveller taking a trip to a main destination outside his/her usual environment, for less than a year ..."

So according to the UNWTO, of which Thailand is a Member State, a Tourist is a subset of Traveller but not all Travellers are Tourists. The METV is a Tourist visa.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 2

But, the introduction of this new METV is actually going to cause some existing long-term 'tourists' to re-locate to Cambodia, or make them stay at home and stay in Thailand less. How about this ? Yes, Thailand should boost the number of two-week tourists in Thailand, yes, welcome in those Chinese tour groups.

But Thailand should also allow long-term tourists or visitors to carry on staying here. These people are putting money into Thailand's economy, what harm are they doing ? Surely, zero harm. Why boot out some of the long-term visitors and bring in new genuine tourists, when you can have both long-term visitors and genuine tourists ?? It increases the total amount of money entering into Thailand, surely, this is good for Thailand.

• Like 2

But, the introduction of this new METV is actually going to cause some existing long-term 'tourists' to re-locate to Cambodia, or make them stay at home and stay in Thailand less. How about this ? Yes, Thailand should boost the number of two-week tourists in Thailand, yes, welcome in those Chinese tour groups.

But Thailand should also allow long-term tourists or visitors to carry on staying here. These people are putting money into Thailand's economy, what harm are they doing ? Surely, zero harm. Why boot out some of the long-term visitors and bring in new genuine tourists, when you can have both long-term visitors and genuine tourists ?? It increases the total amount of money entering into Thailand, surely, this is good for Thailand.

Some may relocate but the number will be insignificant. People stay in Thailand because it's Thailand and will usually find a way to stay when regulations change.

Neither you nor I know how much money these long-term tourists put in to the economy but once again IMO it is insignificant and wouldn't be missed. No doubt many do no harm, but Thailand's visa system doesn't cater for everyone for a reason. There are, however, many long term "tourists" working and up to no good. They are the ones ruining it for the genuine long term tourist, not Thailand.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

Applying in London in person ... How many days do the hotel bookings need to be for? I am a uk citizen but tax resident in Australia, so is my australian tax return from this year ok? I have well over the minimum £ in bank statements ... If I apply and am refused, will they just give a single, or nothing? Thanks all

Edited by Sydneycraig

Applying in London in person ... How many days do the hotel bookings need to be for? I am a uk citizen but tax resident in Australia, so is my australian tax return from this year ok? I have well over the minimum £ in bank statements ... If I apply and am refused, will they just give a single, or nothing? Thanks all

The London Thai Embassy usually issues visa on the next working day after application is made.

I have no idea as to whether the Australian financial data will prove acceptable. The only means of finding out would be to ask at the Embassy.

Hello All.

Our group of three all received our 6METV this morning. We all applied in person at the Embassy in London on Tuesday morning. It was all pretty straight forward and painless. I'll explain our personal situation.

Summery - Visa applied in person in London. Arrived about 8:45am and a que had already formed. We were numbers 18,19,20 and it took us about 45mins to be seen. Requirements were met and all paperwork was presented clearly with important info highlighted. I had official bank statements sent to me for 5 months and 1 months printed out in branch (HSBC don't stamp statements)

We are moving to Thailand on 31st Dec. We'll be based on Koh Samui and will travel from there around SE Asia during The 6/9 months.

Requirements. We met all the requirements stipulated by the embassy......kind of!

Letters of employment - These were obtained (even though I and one other have now both left our employment and don't have jobs to return too)......but hey at time of getting the letter we did.

Tickets - We booked open tickets that are valid for a year. Yes we have return flights booked within 6months, but we can change these for £150

Accommodation - We have rented an apartment each and had contract/email conformation.

Money in the bank - This is the interesting one. The others both have had the required funds in the bank for 6months......No problem. I however have had fluctuating funds in my account (some months had over 5k others had significantly less)......At time of application I had just over 5k. When I applied the lady took all my bank statements and went and spoke to a college in another room.......she returned and just asked for my money. So who knows what was said. Maybe I got it coz I made the job easier by highlighting important info on all paperwork & statements, put them in order and smiled sweetly.

Were people refused METV? YES! But hey, these idiots turned up without all the paperwork and funds in account. They were just offered SETV.

Is the 6METV for you? YES if you are gonna be a tourist for the duration of the visa, use Thailand as a base and pop in and out every few weeks....If you are 'retired' or a long-stayer and just want to continue finding a way to stay in Thailand, and bitch and moan on forums that you can no longer get a visa easily.....then NO! Your time is hopefully coming to an end.........just enjoy what you have while it lasts.

• Like 2

So, per the above post from London, as long as you apply in your home country, have whatever documentation is required at the particular embassy/consulate as to finances, and show or otherwise plan on returning to your home country shortly after the 9 months stay in Thailand that can readily be obtained on the METV, things can be copacetic no matter who you are.

whistling.gif If you are talking about the new METV go to the website for the Thai embassy in Washington D.C. and read there the long description of what they require a U.S. citizen to prove or have in order to get an METV visa from them.

By comparison, Portland Oregon is one of the best and easiest for that visa.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

whistling.gif If you are talking about the new METV go to the website for the Thai embassy in Washington D.C. and read there the long description of what they require a U.S. citizen to prove or have in order to get an METV visa from them.

By comparison, Portland Oregon is one of the best and easiest for that visa.

Except for the processing times entailed, I would not have any problem with either.

I apologize for not having read the entire thread. I recently read the requirements for METV according to Thai Embassy Stockholm Sweden homepage.

I am retired and can therefore not produce an Employment Certificate. So I guess I just can't get the METV?

I am 50+ and have a bank account in Sweden with the equivalent of over B.800 K.

My only possibility to get more than an ordinary 2+1 months tourist visa at the Embassy in Sweden, lies in getting a retirement visa. Is that correct?

I am in Thailand since a year now, on repeated TV, I will soon go back to Sweden and hopefully return to Thailand again, soon after that.

I have no fixed address in Thailand. I just stay in guesthouses. This is a considerable limitation for me when I apply for visa. But if I apply for a Non-O visa in Sweden I think I can renew this for one year in Thailand by making visa runs every 90 days. I will NOT have to report a permanent address in Thailand every 90 days. Is that correct?

Thanks for any guidance.

Edit

I also understand that the Non-O visa will be multi entry. If I wish to make trips to other countries (in addition to the visa runs) that will be OK. Is that correct?

Edited by thailandsgreat

I apologize for not having read the entire thread. I recently read the requirements for METV according to Thai Embassy Stockholm Sweden homepage.

I am retired and can therefore not produce an Employment Certificate. So I guess I just can't get the METV?

I am 50+ and have a bank account in Sweden with the equivalent of over B.800 K.

My only possibility to get more than an ordinary 2+1 months tourist visa at the Embassy in Sweden, lies in getting a retirement visa. Is that correct?

I am in Thailand since a year now, on repeated TV, I will soon go back to Sweden and hopefully return to Thailand again, soon after that.

I have no fixed address in Thailand. I just stay in guesthouses. This is a considerable limitation for me when I apply for visa. But if I apply for a Non-O visa in Sweden I think I can renew this for one year in Thailand by making visa runs every 90 days. I will NOT have to report a permanent address in Thailand every 90 days. Is that correct?

Thanks for any guidance.

Edit

I also understand that the Non-O visa will be multi entry. If I wish to make trips to other countries (in addition to the visa runs) that will be OK. Is that correct?

As you have reached the "magic" age of 50 (and are not British, where the "magic" age is arbitrarily higher), an O-A Long Stay visa from your home country would provide a good Multi-Entry solution, during its year of validity. An entry just before the end of the 1st year gains you a 2nd year of "permitted stay" - but during that 2nd year, you would need to purchase re-entry permits to keep that stay valid, as the "visa" itself, will have expired (as specified by its "enter by" date printed thereon).

More detail is here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/659730-non-immigrant-visa-o-a-long-stay/#entry6701999

I can think of few advantages of the METV for those over 50, unless the particular set of requirements, as enforced in the consulate in your home-country (varies wildly), fit your circumstances. According to current reports, Sweeden is not friendly with METVs, so you were born in the wrong country to get one easily. A few kilometers West, in Norway - no problem. But these are all early reports, and conditions can change without notice at any consulate.

• Like 1

Hello All.

Our group of three all received our 6METV this morning. We all applied in person at the Embassy in London on Tuesday morning. It was all pretty straight forward and painless. I'll explain our personal situation.

Summery - Visa applied in person in London. Arrived about 8:45am and a que had already formed. We were numbers 18,19,20 and it took us about 45mins to be seen. Requirements were met and all paperwork was presented clearly with important info highlighted. I had official bank statements sent to me for 5 months and 1 months printed out in branch (HSBC don't stamp statements)

We are moving to Thailand on 31st Dec. We'll be based on Koh Samui and will travel from there around SE Asia during The 6/9 months.

Requirements. We met all the requirements stipulated by the embassy......kind of!

Letters of employment - These were obtained (even though I and one other have now both left our employment and don't have jobs to return too)......but hey at time of getting the letter we did.

Tickets - We booked open tickets that are valid for a year. Yes we have return flights booked within 6months, but we can change these for £150

Accommodation - We have rented an apartment each and had contract/email conformation.

Money in the bank - This is the interesting one. The others both have had the required funds in the bank for 6months......No problem. I however have had fluctuating funds in my account (some months had over 5k others had significantly less)......At time of application I had just over 5k. When I applied the lady took all my bank statements and went and spoke to a college in another room.......she returned and just asked for my money. So who knows what was said. Maybe I got it coz I made the job easier by highlighting important info on all paperwork & statements, put them in order and smiled sweetly.

Were people refused METV? YES! But hey, these idiots turned up without all the paperwork and funds in account. They were just offered SETV.

Is the 6METV for you? YES if you are gonna be a tourist for the duration of the visa, use Thailand as a base and pop in and out every few weeks....If you are 'retired' or a long-stayer and just want to continue finding a way to stay in Thailand, and bitch and moan on forums that you can no longer get a visa easily.....then NO! Your time is hopefully coming to an end.........just enjoy what you have while it lasts.

Hi Deflores, can i ask where you booked the open tickets and how much they were please?