Scuba Diving in LOS

brennanstimpy

Hi everyone, Four years ago I lived in Chiang Mai for six years and never had much experience with going to islands and beaches. Now I am coming back the first week of August and am scuba certified and want to experience the best in Thailand. Can anyone give me tips and/or advice about diving? I was told the best places to go are koh tao, koh lipe, and the similan islands. Thanks everybody, great to be back!

Hi everyone, Four years ago I lived in Chiang Mai for six years and never had much experience with going to islands and beaches. Now I am coming back the first week of August and am scuba certified and want to experience the best in Thailand. Can anyone give me tips and/or advice about diving? I was told the best places to go are koh tao, koh lipe, and the similan islands. Thanks everybody, great to be back!

Koh tao is excellent to get certified, just make sure you get a quality course, but for a certified diver like you the Andaman coast. There you'll find the best diving Thailand has to offer.

Phuket is the base for the best Thai diving, many islands and famous dive locations. The area around Chalong seems to be almost wall-to-wall dive shops. Liveaboards is probably the best way to go, get in three to five dives a day.

Yes, live aboard to Similan/Burma from Phuket would be best but season will open in mid-November. August still monsoon, your choice is beach dive in Phuket, Phi-Phi, Koh Tao, Samui, Kor Larn (Pattaya), Koh Chang (in Trat province). Google it.

Phuket is the base for the best Thai diving, many islands and famous dive locations. The area around Chalong seems to be almost wall-to-wall dive shops. Liveaboards is probably the best way to go, get in three to five dives a day.

Liveaboards are not an option in august. Many daytrip options though from phuket but also the other Andaman places. Khao Lak though offers no diving this time of year.

Liveaboards are not an option in august. Many daytrip options though from phuket but also the other Andaman places. Khao Lak though offers no diving this time of year.

I booked a liveaboard actually. It is called the Junk, it is a 2-day, one night dive trip. I think I am going to go to Krabi after that and book a trip with an outfit called Kon-Tiki.

On 7/29/2016 at 3:57 AM, brennanstimpy said:

I booked a liveaboard actually. It is called the Junk, it is a 2-day, one night dive trip. I think I am going to go to Krabi after that and book a trip with an outfit called Kon-Tiki.

I would call that an overnight trip, not a liveaboard. But yes, there is The Junk and also Scuba Adventure and Giamani offering similar trips.

Personally this time of year I recommend not to book these trips in advance. With unpredictable weather until 1-2 days before departure, I'd always wait and see.

On 8/4/2016 at 5:25 PM, Blackheart1916 said:

Do a bit of research on the weather,  different parts of the country are good at different times.  Samui/ koh tao is usually the go this time of year 

Disagree with you there, for diving the Andaman side is the best option for diving year round. The diving is simply much better.

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Disagree with you there, for diving the Andaman side is the best option for diving year round. The diving is simply much better.

Have only been Andaman side for a quick visit,i will obviously have to go there for more in depth study. Thanks for the tip 

Archived