Culture Ministry to hold Thai Language Day

webfact

Culture Ministry to hold Thai Language Day

BANGKOK, 26 July 2016 (NNT) – The Ministry of Culture will be holding the Thai Language Day event on 29 July 2016, promoting conservation and proper use of the Thai language, which is a crucial national identity.

Minister of Culture Vira Rojpojchanarat has revealed that the Ministry will be holding an event called Thai Language Day on 29 July 2016 at Thailand Cultural Center, Bangkok, to celebrate His Majesty the King and His Majesty's intention to deepen the understanding of the Thai language among the general public, and to promote the Thai language which is a national identity.

25 awards will also be granted to individuals who had used the language remarkably and to those who had contributed to the Thai language, including excellent use of the formal and local dialects, and excellent use in composition and singing.

An expert on Thai language and ancient language Kongkaew Weeraprachak has said on this occasion that she is delighted that the government sees the importance in ancient Thai language which is now fading from modern society and only exists in ancient documents, such as ancient texts for astronomy, astrology, medicine, and elephant studies.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-07-26 footer_n.gif

With so many differences in thai language based on regions and even more people who can not speak or read and write the Thai language they should be making this day to educate the people on proper Thai instead. So many times through the years I have seen my wife or gf misunderstand what other Thais were telling her and misunderstand signs written. There is a lot of room for improvement. The languages basics aremail basic and outdated.

With so many differences in thai language based on regions and even more people who can not speak or read and write the Thai language they should be making this day to educate the people on proper Thai instead. So many times through the years I have seen my wife or gf misunderstand what other Thais were telling her and misunderstand signs written. There is a lot of room for improvement. The languages basics aremail basic and outdated.

Indeed. My missus quite often simply won't ask certain people questions because she knows it's a waste of time. She will translate what the person said and it really is a load of gobbledygook. Something lost in translation? "No" she says. "I've translated that into English as I've interpreted it in Thai"

But, hey 'It's crucial to maintain the language to maintain national identity!'. We wouldn't want the language to develop. People might feel less Thai and concentrate on more important things like speaking more articulately and freely. That would then lead to discussing issues and developing as a society. There'd be more intellectual thinkers who'd question the oligarchy and...........well, you get my point.

Many people in Thailand like others around the world are very proud of their own language and heritage. The Malay, Lao, Northern and Hill Tribes that were conquered by the center have to learn the official language at school and most have no problem communicating in it. If they want to speak their mother tongues at home and with friend / neighbors or even preserve their traditions and customs good on them.

I all honesty i have come to the conclusion Thais for the most part dont understand or at least have problems understanding each other

My Mrs is from Bangkok so not the far North or East where dialects could be a problem, but each conversation here in Phrachuap is or has to be repeated several times before SOME sort of understanding is met.

I don't think you really know what you are talking about. Central Thai is the only official language throughout the country and literacy is reportedly around 94% (based on figures from a few years ago, should be even higher now). There are indeed regional variations in terms of accent and dialect (such as Kam Muang or northern Thai and Isarn-Lao etc.) but none of these dialects hold any official status in Thailand. The majority of the population throughout the country can speak the central Thai dialect perfectly well because that's what the school system teaches. I have also met many people in Isarn and northern Thailand, particularly of the younger generation who is no longer able to speak their dialect, or very well. They only speak central Thai.

I don't want to pass judgment on your wife or gf, but if she has trouble deciphering signs it sounds to me like she probably didn't go to school. Almost every Thai is capable of understanding written Thai. Even myself, who is fluent though not a native speaker has absolutely no trouble understanding written Thai. In the unlikely event I don't understand a word it's because I'm not a native speaker - in which case I look up the meaning of the word in English in a dictionary. This however applies to newspapers and documents not simple everyday signs.

From my experience, they do not understand each other clearly. My wife graduated from a great university, is an actress, MC and TV producer. She speaks 3 Thai dialects. Just to find out any basic information here, it takes a 5 minute conversation, that in other places, might be 5 words. It's not their fault, it's the education. Thai's read about 1 page of a book per year. That doesn't help.

I don't think you really know what you are talking about. Central Thai is the only official language throughout the country and literacy is reportedly around 94% (based on figures from a few years ago, should be even higher now). There are indeed regional variations in terms of accent and dialect (such as Kam Muang or northern Thai and Isarn-Lao etc.) but none of these dialects hold any official status in Thailand. The majority of the population throughout the country can speak the central Thai dialect perfectly well because that's what the school system teaches. I have also met many people in Isarn and northern Thailand, particularly of the younger generation who is no longer able to speak their dialect, or very well. They only speak central Thai.

I don't want to pass judgment on your wife or gf, but if she has trouble deciphering signs it sounds to me like she probably didn't go to school. Almost every Thai is capable of understanding written Thai. Even myself, who is fluent though not a native speaker has absolutely no trouble understanding written Thai. In the unlikely event I don't understand a word it's because I'm not a native speaker - in which case I look up the meaning of the word in English in a dictionary. This however applies to newspapers and documents not simple everyday signsNot to be rude, but most people on this site,

Not to be rude, but most people on this site have knowledge about the Thai language, even if they can't speak it. If people are trying to have a conversation above grade level 8, it seems to get complicated~many times resulting in talking in circles, and both people attempting to have more knowledge than they really do~toss in a few fabrications, and the result is murky. This doesn't apply so much to friends and family, but you will probably agree.

Edited by Redline