iPhone 6SE (iPhone 7)

Aussie69

Whats all this talk/rumour of Apple bringing out a 6SE version this year pushing the 7 until next year? If they are skipping a full number increase that must mean they have something exciting planned for the 7 that needs an extra year to develop.

Will i finally get my 3D holographic display, unlimited biomolecule energy source??? Or did they simply decide to backtrack on the no headphone jack idea for this yeae and dont have time to retool - so same case?

My lad has an iphone 6 that over 2 year contract has cost £1000 plus. i have a £50 Chinese Smartphone and he is the first to agree that apart from the Camera quality they do exactly the same. Its just keep up with the jones to ludicrous extremes

I'm no Apple fan but there's no universe in which this statement is true.

Unless you only use your phone to make calls (in which case even your Chinese 50GBP is unnecessarily expensive), there are oh so many things your Chinese 'smartphone' will never be able to do.

Everything will be excruciatingly slow. Apps are designed to run on relatively recent software. For the price you mention, you get the equivalent of an iPhone from 5 years ago. Lot of apps will probably not even work properly. To reach that price, they have to cut a lot of corners. Battery life will be a fraction of what you'd get on a good phone, hardware will most likely die prematurely, screen resolution and brightness will be sub-par.

I agree that getting the latest flagship iPhone or other is usually overkill though, and buying it subsidized makes the cost even worse.

There's a sweet spot where price, performance and usefulness meet, which is much below the 28,000+ THB you'd pay for the latest iPhone. But it's not 2,000THB. At that level even though you're wasting less money, you're still wasting it. A good range is around 10,000-14,000THB for a smartphone. If you do a bit of research, you'll get one that will last you as long as a flagship and provide 90% of the features for half the price.

You can get a subsidized iPhone SE now for THB12,000 (16GB) or THB16,000 from True, AIS or DTAC. My understanding is that it's basically an iPhone 5S with updated iPhone 6S components.

The one-year voice/data plan you're locked into isn't all that bad: I just bought one from AIS and have a THB488/month plan with 100 minutes of calls (plus a cache of free daytime calls to other AIS users), 12GB 3G/4G data, and free AIS WIFi. I never would have bought the phone at full price, but with approximately a THB5,000 discount, it made the iPhone SE a reasonable choice.