In a small town in Northern Thailand, there's a lake ...

smo

In a small town in Northern Thailand, there's a lake with a string of hotels bordering one side of the lake (the other side is another town supposedly equally pittoresque).The lakefront promenade is the main draw of the region, one review even described it as having a western vibe - which makes me think of a mini version of Lake Leman or Como.

There is one hotel that commands the best view of the lake. One single price for all the rooms however, so if you're lucky there will be a front room (looking out to the lake) available, if not they will put you in one of the rooms in the back, where you'll spend your entire stay seething with envy against those lucky ones staying in the front rooms. Advanced booking is therefore highly recommended.

I was surfing on booking.com looking around from Chiang Rai to Phrae - and I was too sleepy to make note of this particular hotel when I stumbled upon it. I looked high and low again tonight but simply couldn't re-discover it.

Does anyone has a clue? I looked hard in Phayao (which has a lake) but I didn't find it there. whistling.gif

It's been quite a while, a couple of months I think. I should have bookmarked the page, but it was late at night, usually the time my right brain gone to sleep and the left brain taking over.

If no one could suggest of another lakeside setup, then I guess I just have to focus on Phayao and make the most of it. I don't see any other lake of any considerable size in that part of the country.

btw, villagefarang - love your pics of dams and reservoirs.thumbsup.gif

It sounds like Phayao lake. We went there for an overnight stay last year, and loved it. Very nice vibe along the waterfront, lots of restaurants and bars, lots of families exercising and taking in the breeze. I couldn't say which hotel, though.

"In a small town in Northern Thailand, there's a lake with a string of hotels bordering one side of the lake (the other side is another town supposedly equally pittoresque)"

I do not think it is Phayao. There are only 2 hotels on the lake road. These are on the other side of the road to the lake. On the other side of the lake there are only farming villages. and a mountain range.

"In a small town in Northern Thailand, there's a lake with a string of hotels bordering one side of the lake (the other side is another town supposedly equally pittoresque)"

I do not think it is Phayao. There are only 2 hotels on the lake road. These are on the other side of the road to the lake. On the other side of the lake there are only farming villages. and a mountain range.

Agree. Phayao is quite large away from the lakefront, more like a city. The lake has a small shrine on an island in the middle. There are no hotels on the other side.

Possibly the Thaton area?

part memory/part dream state... sounds like Phayao w/some REM influences...

you're absolutely right, ken (clack, clack that's the sound of my left brain nodding!)
okay, folks, tada it's Phayao!
My genie Google found it for me on travelfish.org (not booking.com):
"...This is as close to the Cote D’Azur as it gets in north Thailand and looking out over the lake, with hazy, blue mountains in the background and traditional wooden fishing boats in the fore, there’s also something of a mini-Inle Lake look to it too."
ripstanley was right, there is no pittoresque town on the other side. My dream state - as astutely observed by kenk24 - was roaming the swiss side of lac ouchy looking over to the french town vichy on the other side...
And the same-rate hotel is:
Kwan Phayao Jumjai Homestay
btw travelfish.org is an excellent site I found regarding SEA travel. Go take a look!
And thanks all for your weighing in - that was great fun!clap2.gif

As you stated it is a homestay .I can vouch that it is not a hotel. The balconies you see in the photo are actually facing north and the lake is west. It is about 200 metres off the lake. The photo you see is from the road that runs around the lake.

It is very central and easy walking to restaurants and bars.

I hope you enjoy your stay.

I live on the opposite side of the lake in a farming village.

Ok - glad you found it - - I do not know of any other lake that would provoke that much interest... and the giveaway was all the restaurants...

I have passed through there a few times but do not recall any hotels. Always stop for lunch.

Enjoy your travels.