Bicycle lanes in Bangkok - good idea or dead in the water?

webfact

Can't believe we got this far in the thread and no one has yet mentioned the supposed 54 million baht that has been spent on maintenance. What maintenance?

The maintenance that has kept the unwanted lanes in such good condition so far, of course. Have you seen any of them in disrepair?

Can't believe we got this far in the thread and no one has yet mentioned the supposed 54 million baht that has been spent on maintenance. What maintenance?

The maintenance that has kept the unwanted lanes in such good condition so far, of course. Have you seen any of them in disrepair?

Well I imagine that they aren't in disrepair as nobody uses them and in fact many don't know they exist apparently . Also labour costs being what they are in Thailand I find it hard to believe it costs @ 2 1/4 million baht a month to maintain something that no one uses. Bit of skimming off the top would be my guess.

I can never understand the mindset of people who Cycle in Bangkok; the climate and pollution alone must surely be a major, possibly life threatening problem.

That said I certainly condemn the BMA and others who cordon off what could be useful road space in an already crowded traffic environment to accommodate these people.

What on earth are you trying to demonstrate?

A more "energy efficient" way to get to work?

Great in principle - until you arrive at the Office sweating and stinking of traffic fumes then, I guess, expect your Company to provide shower and changing facilities to accommodate your strange fetish before you start work.

Just as an example. a couple of years ago I contracted with a Math teacher - a Farang - to tutor my son after school; he, the prospective teacher, lived in Lad Prao, we live in Asoke. The first day the fool arrived he had obviously decided to Cycle from his home to mine. He stank to high heaven and I refused him access to my home.and cancelled the agreement.

What are these people thinking of if they imagine turning up for work in this state is in any way acceptable, and why do they imagine that whole sections of roads in Bangkok should be given over to their minority hobby??

\

Patrick

There are a hundred reasons why cycling and cycle lanes are good......none of which would ever make sense to you

A hundred reasons ................ really?

So give me just 10 reasons here, seriously and in detail, and I - and others I am sure - will try to "make sense" of why a majority in Bangkok, paying stipulated Road Tax, Licencing, Vehicle Inspection Fees etc. etc., should make way for a VERY small minority who pay nothing for the established (and the projected) infrastructure but somehow claim the right to appropriate important road space, inconveniencing thousands every day, without contributing anything towards Government coffers to pay for it.

Details please, I can barely wait..

Patrick

For p_brownstone. TEN GOOD REASONS WHY CYCLING AND CYCLE LANES ARE GOOD.

CYCLING:

1. A healthy form of exercise.

2. An efficient means of commuting.

3. An ideal method of touring.

4. A proven way of monitoring boat races and marathons.

5. Many cyclists also drive, and when they are cycling they are not contributing to:

a)traffic congestion

B) noise pollution

c) air pollution

d) environmental degradation

6.A very good way, for students and faculty, of getting from place to place in a university town or on a university campus

CYCLE LANES

7. (On a main road) Separate cyclists from other road uses.

8. (In a park) Separate cyclists from runners, walkers, strollers, and cruisers.

9.(On a dedicated cycling path) Provide a convenient and safe way of getting from A to B. Please refer to 1, 2 and 3 above.

10. In the UK the National Cycle Way provides a country-wide network of minor sign-posted roads for the touring cyclist.

Cycling can be an excellent hobby or sport. It is an individual activity that, conversely, provides wonderful comradeship and fellowship.

For p_brownstone. TEN GOOD REASONS WHY CYCLING AND CYCLE LANES ARE GOOD.

CYCLING:

1. A healthy form of exercise.

2. An efficient means of commuting.

3. An ideal method of touring.

4. A proven way of monitoring boat races and marathons.

5. Many cyclists also drive, and when they are cycling they are not contributing to:

a)traffic congestion

cool.png noise pollution

c) air pollution

d) environmental degradation

6.A very good way, for students and faculty, of getting from place to place in a university town or on a university campus

CYCLE LANES

7. (On a main road) Separate cyclists from other road uses.

8. (In a park) Separate cyclists from runners, walkers, strollers, and cruisers.

9.(On a dedicated cycling path) Provide a convenient and safe way of getting from A to B. Please refer to 1, 2 and 3 above.

10. In the UK the National Cycle Way provides a country-wide network of minor sign-posted roads for the touring cyclist.

Cycling can be an excellent hobby or sport. It is an individual activity that, conversely, provides wonderful comradeship and fellowship.

I am from SoCal. Possibly one of the places in the world where bike lanes started. I agree with your comments and they work well there. But, have you been to Bangkok? Unfortunately, several items on your list will not work here. Lack of planning, too many cars, too many motorbikes, not enough parking spaces, too many people. Bike lanes may work in Chaing Mai, or another smaller city/province.