Clinton promises steady hand in dangerous world

webfact

Clinton promises steady hand in dangerous world
By JULIE PACE and ROBERT FURLOW

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Promising Americans a steady hand, Hillary Clinton cast herself Thursday night as a unifier for divided times, an experienced leader steeled for a volatile world. She aggressively challenged Republican Donald Trump's ability to do the same.

"Imagine him in the Oval Office facing a real crisis," Clinton said as she accepted the Democratic nomination for president. "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons."

Clinton took the stage to roaring applause from flag-waving delegates on the final night of the Democratic convention, relishing her nomination as the first woman to lead a major U.S. political party. But her real audience was the millions of voters watching at home, many of whom may welcome her experience as secretary of state senator and first lady, but question her character.

She acknowledged those concerns briefly, saying "I get it that some people just don't know what to make of me." But her primary focus was persuading Americans to not be seduced by Trump's vague promises to restore economic security and fend off threats from abroad.

Clinton's four-day convention began with efforts to shore up liberals who backed Bernie Sanders in the Democratic primary and it ended with an outstretched hand to Republicans and independents unnerved by Trump. A parade of military leaders, law enforcement officials and Republicans took the stage ahead of Clinton to endorse her in the general election contest with Trump.

"This is the moment, this is the opportunity for our future," said retired Marine Gen. John R. Allen, a former commander in Afghanistan. "We must seize this moment to elect Hillary Clinton as president of the United States of America."

American flags waved in the stands of the packed convention hall. There were persistent but scattered calls of "No more war," but the crowd drowned them out with chants of "Hill-a-ry" and "U-S-A!"

The Democratic nomination now officially hers, Clinton has just over three months to persuade Americans that Trump is unfit for the Oval Office and overcome the visceral connection he has with some voters in a way the Democratic nominee does not.

She embraced her reputation as a studious wonk, a politician more comfortable with policy proposals than rhetorical flourishes. "I sweat the details of policy," she said.

Clinton's proposals are an extension of President Barack Obama's two terms in office: tackling climate change, overhauling the nation's fractured immigration laws, and restricting access to guns. She disputed Trump's assertion that she wants to repeal the Second Amendment, saying "I'm not here to take away your guns. I just don't want you to be shot by someone who shouldn't have a gun in the first place."

Campaigning in Iowa Thursday, Trump said there were "a lot of lies being told" at Clinton's convention. In an earlier statement, he accused Democrats of living in a "fantasy world," ignoring economic and security troubles as well as Clinton's controversial email use at the State Department.

The FBI's investigation into Clinton's use of a private internet server didn't result in criminal charges, but it did appear to deepen voters' concerns with her honesty and trustworthiness. A separate pre-convention controversy over hacked Democratic Party emails showing favoritism for Clinton in the primary threatens to deepen the perception that Clinton prefers to play by her own rules.

Through four nights of polished convention pageantry, Democratic heavyweights told a different story about Clinton. The most powerful validation came Wednesday night from President Barack Obama, her victorious primary rival in 2008. Obama declared Clinton not only can defeat Trump's "deeply pessimistic vision" but also realize the "promise of this great nation."

Seeking to offset possible weariness with a politician who has been in the spotlight for decades, he said of Clinton: "She's been there for us, even if we haven't always noticed."

Clinton was introduced by her daughter, Chelsea, who spoke warmly of her mother as a woman "driven by compassion, by faith, by kindness, a fierce sense of justice, and a heart full of love."

A parade of speakers — gay and straight, young and old, white, black and Hispanic — cast Trump as out-of-touch with a diverse and fast-changing nation.

Khizr Khan, an American Muslim whose son was killed in military service, emotionally implored voters to stop Trump, who has called for a temporary ban on Muslim immigration.

"Donald Trump, you are asking Americans to trust you with their future," Khan said. "Let me ask you, have you even read the United States Constitution? I will gladly lend you my copy."

The program paid tribute to law enforcement officers killed on duty, including five who died in Dallas earlier this month in retaliation for officer-involved shootings in Minnesota and Louisiana.

"Violence is not the answer," Dallas Sheriff Lupe Valdez said. "Yelling, screaming and calling each other names is not going to do it."

On the convention's closing night, Clinton sought to reach beyond the Democratic base, particularly to moderate Republicans unnerved by Trump.

Former Reagan administration official Doug Elmets announced he was casting his first vote for a Democrat in November, and urged other Republicans who "believe loyalty to our country is more important than loyalty to party" to do the same.

Following reports Russia hacked Democratic Party emails, Trump said he'd like to see Moscow find the thousands of emails Clinton deleted from the account she used as secretary of state. Hours later, Trump told Fox News he was being "sarcastic" although shortly after his remarks on Wednesday, he tweeted that Russia should share the emails with the FBI.

___

AP writers Catherine Lucey, Kathleen Hennessey and Lisa Lerer contributed to this report.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-07-29

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"This is the moment, this is the opportunity for our future," said retired Marine Gen. John R. Allen, a former commander in Afghanistan. "We must seize this moment to elect Hillary Clinton as president of the United States of America."

This guy is a nut. He screamed out his speech and promised to go to war with Russia, China, ISIS, and everywhere there is a "threat." He made George Bush sound like some Quaker in comparison. The Democrats have become the War Party.

Some people think nothing can stimulate slow business like a little, or even a big war. The '' little police actions'', scattered around, seem to try the patient of many who are looking to be on the wealthy list that are so desired.

This must be the most miserable sounding and looking 42 seconds in the history of "I'm so happy . . ." The woman literally snarls and her decrepit old husband stands there slack jawed looking like he already has one foot in the grave.

I think she NEEDED to give at least a C plus or B minus speech. What she gave was an A minus speech, definitely among the best speeches in her life and of course her most important by far. I don't think she's capable of ever giving an A plus speech so given that curve, it was an A plus for her.

So, she rather significantly EXCEEDED expectations, and that's great.

If she doesn't show a bump that shows up solidly in polling about a week from now, then it's time to panic. Based on the speech, I feel the bump coming.

On to the debates!

Edited by Jingthing

This must be the most miserable sounding and looking 42 seconds in the history of "I'm so happy . . ." The woman literally snarls and her decrepit old husband stands there slack jawed looking like he already has one foot in the grave.

I see.

How mean spirited.

Anyway, if good old Bill happens to die while Hillary Clinton is president, perhaps she can borrow from trump's playbook and get a mail order boy toy husband from Eastern Europe! Or perhaps come out as lesbian and marry Tiffany Trump! Historic changes coming!

Edited by Jingthing

She's a puppet and there are so many people with their hands on the strings that her face is is all bent out of shape.

Id rather see a straight shooter like Mr Trump who won't be out to antagonise russia and treat everything they do with suspicion…like hillary and her handlers do.

She's a puppet and there are so many people with their hands on the strings that her face is is all bent out of shape.

Id rather see a straight shooter like Mr Trump who won't be out to antagonise russia and treat everything they do with suspicion…like hillary and her handlers do.

Straight shooter, alright.

You KNOW he's gonna screw you.

Successful in business by cheating and scamming people.

No ambiguity there.

As Bloomberg said:

Throughout his career, Trump has left behind a well-documented record of bankruptcies and thousands of lawsuits and angry stockholders and contractors who feel cheated and disillusioned customers who feel they have been ripped off. Trump wants to run the nation like he’s run his business? God help us.

Edited by Jingthing

she is using bills popularity to get herself elected in much the same way yingluck used her brothers. bill was a popular guy despite his scallay-wag behavior.

Total rubbish.

Hillary Clinton is massively qualified.

She had been a U.S. senator from a major state for several years and of course one term as Secretary of State.

Yingluck came in with no political experience whatsoever, indeed very limited relevant work experience either.

Yingluck's rise was a typical third world type thing where women are sometimes used as stand ins or replacements for powerful male leaders.

This is nothing like the situation with Hillary Clinton.

It may be tempting to make simple minded equivalencies to Thailand, but in this case it doesn't even begin to wash.

Also, this is a world news topic. There is no need to relate it to Thailand at all and I judge your attempt to do so as a total fail.

Of course I will admit that some people have seen some similarities between Thaksin and trump, but I consider that way too unfairly insulting to Thaksin.

Edited by Jingthing

she is using bills popularity to get herself elected in much the same way yingluck used her brothers. bill was a popular guy despite his scallay-wag behavior.

Total rubbish.

She had been a U.S. senator from a major state for several years and of course one term as Secretary of State.

Yingluck came in with no political experience whatsoever, indeed very limited relevant work experience either.

Yingluck's rise was a typical third world type thing where women are sometimes used as stand ins or replacements for powerful male leaders.

It may be tempting to make simple minded equivalencies to Thailand, but in this case it doesn't even begin to wash.

Also, this is a world news topic. There is no need to relate it to Thailand at all and I judge your attempt to do so as a total fail.

Of course I will admit that some people have seen some similarities between Thaksin and trump, but I consider that way too unfairly insulting to Thaksin.

would hillary be where she is today is she was not married to bill? no way, and ying luck would never have been voted in if she wast thaksins brother. sounds pretty similar to me.

just saw your profile pic, ha ha, very nice. thaksin similar to trump? never heard anyone say that. heard plenty of people compare hillary to a criminal.

Edited by williamgeorgeallen

Total rubbish.

would hillary be where she is today is she was not married to bill? no way, and ying luck would never have been voted in if she wast thaksins brother. sounds pretty similar to me.

just saw your profile pic, ha ha, very nice. thaksin similar to trump? never heard anyone say that. heard plenty of people compare hillary to a criminal.

Again Hillary earned where she is now. Yingluck hadn't.

Many people have seen similarities between trump and Thaksin. Even Thaksin. Duh. Use your noodle.

https://next.ft.com/content/59d81f90-e5e7-11e5-a09b-1f8b0d268c39

Edited by Jingthing

Total rubbish.

Again Hillary earned where she is now. Yingluck hadn't.

Many people have seen similarities between trump and Thaksin. Even Thaksin. Duh. Use your noodle.

https://next.ft.com/content/59d81f90-e5e7-11e5-a09b-1f8b0d268c39

hillary earned where she is now by putting up with the public shame her husband caused her by screwing around on her. honest question, would hillary be where she is today if she was not married to bill?

"Clinton promises steady hand in dangerous world"

The only steady hand I envision is that of Clinton's in my pocket reaching for my wallet.

Agreed. Sadly, there is a problem. A good percentage of American people pay little or no taxes via the tax structure, to include Earned Income Credit. These people LOVE the idea of government reaching for YOUR wallet, as theirs will remain unscathed.

Like she has the balls to make a decision about nation security. Check the photo attached, OMG hey she's safe with secret service for life, what about the rest of us who don't live with a given silver spoon in her mouth. At least Trump did it on his own.post-202610-0-16050900-1469795103_thumb.

That's the dirty little secret. Hillary got something like 20% less votes than she did in 2008 when she LOST to that upstart whippersnapper from Chicago. The Bernie faction remains strong. Millennials don't trust her. I suspect she will continue to have a turnout problem. Once again, it appears there is trouble with the coronation.

We can allow more of the privilege people to run President from the same family but can't allow retired Lt. Gen. Micheal Flynn become Secretary of defense for 8 years after retirement from the military who's experience clearly outweighs Clinton empty time in Washington. But OBAMA made her Secretary of State? ISIL will vote for her in NOV. I'm sure.

Trump has never been elected to anything and likely never will be. Sure Hillary benefitted from name recognition and connections to win her first senate race. But after that it was up to her whether voters rejected her or not. Obama likely picked her to keep his enemies close but they appear to have bonded. It's sexist and offensive to suggest Hillary isn't qualified to be president and is only nearly there from connections. She's massively qualified.

Like she has the balls to make a decision about nation security. Check the photo attached, OMG hey she's safe with secret service for life, what about the rest of us who don't live with a given silver spoon in her mouth. At least Trump did it on his own.attachicon.gifosama-promo_homepage_lede.jpg

I agree with your reply. I would also like to touch on a related issue. I find it a bit perverted that politicians surrounded by men with a variety of weapons, including "assault weapons", find the world dangerous enough that they deserve to be protected by such weapons but want to deny that same right to us peasants.

Actually, it's disgusting.