when asked how I want to pay when using credit card

Bucko

in Thai baht or home currency ?? never bothered too much about this one before -as I did not use credit cards much--next time I will be--So whats your advice please --and a brief explanation for my old brain-- & wallet --thanks thumbsup.gif

It also depends on what fees your card company charge for foreign transactions, its not just about exchange rates.

All the cards I am aware of that charge a foreign transaction fee do it based on the location of the transaction/vendor not the currency. So paying in your home currency will still have a foreign txn fee.

Bucko: As said above, always choose Thai Baht here, not the option to pay in home currency.

It is called Dynamic Currency Conversion, DCC for short. We've found it worthwhile to be assertive with the cashier/clerk and tell them "Thai Baht" when handing over the card for payment, instead of saying nothing and taking the chance they choose the home currency option without asking. Then you have to faff about canceling the transaction and start over again.

If/when you use a Thai ATM with a foreign card, especially in tourist areas, you may also be prompted for DCC during the transaction. Choose Thai Baht.

On 30 July 2016 at 6:59 AM, bubba1 said:

All the cards I am aware of that charge a foreign transaction fee do it based on the location of the transaction/vendor not the currency. So paying in your home currency will still have a foreign txn fee.

That is not the case with my card from the UK hence my comment.