Embarassing Things Westerners Do

eldragon

15 hours ago, eldragon said:

It really bugs me when I go out to eat Thai food with other foreigners, we all order a bunch of dishes to share, and then one of them takes the dish he ordered and drops it right in front of himself like it's his alone.

In some ways I'm guilty of this....There are some things I don't eat - chicken/some fish, etc.....I will order to add to the sharing, but, I'll also order a dish that I want for myself.....

Also, I've eaten seen people that are uncouth enough to use their eating forks to re-serve themselves - or worse go from the middle plates directly to their mouth.....

We don't eat that way at home & won't participate in that when out.... If others are doing that I shut down & eat off my own plate....

Good manners are always appreciated....

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In some ways I'm guilty of this....There are some things I don't eat - chicken/some fish, etc.....I will order to add to the sharing, but, I'll also order a dish that I want for myself.....

Also, I've eaten seen people that are uncouth enough to use their eating forks to re-serve themselves - or worse go from the middle plates directly to their mouth.....

We don't eat that way at home & won't participate in that when out.... If others are doing that I shut down & eat off my own plate....

Good manners are always appreciated....

You ever seen a foreigner do the exact opposite? Go out for western food and then start passing their plate around the table so everyone can have a nibble of their pasta or a corner of their sandwich? That's going way native.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

On 26/01/2017 at 2:08 PM, eldragon said:

You ever seen a foreigner do the exact opposite? Go out for western food and then start passing their plate around the table so everyone can have a nibble of their pasta or a corner of their sandwich? That's going way native.

Yep. My wife and I do that all the time.

On 26/01/2017 at 7:08 AM, eldragon said:

When at our FILS we do that eating together stuff. Was hard to begin but I am over it and it feels pretty normal when we are there. Seeing my mrs's sister and her brother eat pizza for the first time was horrific. They poured more ketchup on the pizza than there was pizza.

6 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

When at our FILS we do that eating together stuff. Was hard to begin but I am over it and it feels pretty normal when we are there. Seeing my mrs's sister and her brother eat pizza for the first time was horrific. They poured more ketchup on the pizza than there was pizza.

Taking them - my Thai family, out for their first pizza was a nightmare too.....

Ordered a big beautiful 1300B pizza -  they promptly stripped all the toppings & cheese off (putting it into a discard pile) to put catsup/seasonings on to eat the dough part only....Leaving a ruined pizza "carcass" of what once a beautiful big pizza.....Not even worth bringing home.....

• 1 month later...