Embarassing Things Westerners Do

eldragon

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

We are a clique, not a click.

Thanks!

Thank you for the correction. It didn't look correct when I wrote it but some how I posted anyway. 

Cheers

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I missed something from my list of embarrassing clothing - those weird, cheap-looking, loose-fitted shirts with a opening that goes halfway down the front. Usually in a white or cream coloured fabric that's so thin its almost transparent. Beloved of chubby middle-aged expats for some reason. 

Oh, I missed something from my list of embarrassing clothing - those weird, cheap-looking, loose-fitted shirts with a opening that goes halfway down the front. Usually in a white or cream coloured fabric that's so thin its almost transparent. Beloved of chubby middle-aged expats for some reason. 

loose fitting hides the beer stomach
thin material reduces the heat
buttons allow chest hair exposure

Agreed, it is sometimes funny to see the nonsense people post here.

The reason I think its embarrassing, though, is because this site is one of the first places people interested in Thailand will come across when they search for information online. What must they think of us expats when they read some of the moronic trash that this forum is full of?

It's good they get an idea of many of the expats they are likely to meet here

11 hours ago, ukrules said:

You're making the assumption that the idiots who would not pass such a test are actually wanted in the country where they come from.

If I was in charge of a country I would encourage them to leave.

Fantastic idea, but they should be sent somewhere where nobody else wants to be, somewhere like.......mmmmmmm........how bout the UK! :P

9 hours ago, SoiBiker said:

I got a black version of one of those (not transparent) amazingly comfortable. It's casual wear, perfectly suited to the climate. A step up from a T-shirt I would say. Maybe T-shirts also embarrass you? Are you embarrassed for me? Should I put on a collared long sleeve shirt to relax at my house? 

10 hours ago, SoiBiker said:

Like this

cream-loomed-cotton-shirt-kung.jpg

I am really enjoying the SAS, CIA, Navy Seals, Special forces Tat's on the forearms along with the Military Chrono watch. HAHAHA. The guy only needs some cargo shorts and Crocs and he is ready for a casual daytime stroll in Pattaya. Later in the evening that attire is dumped for Chang wife beaters, same cargo shorts and some sandals and a stroll along walking street looking for a wife.... 

47 minutes ago, JAFO said:

I am really enjoying the SAS, CIA, Navy Seals, Special forces Tat's on the forearms along with the Military Chrono watch. HAHAHA. The guy only needs some cargo shorts and Crocs and he is ready for a casual daytime stroll in Pattaya. Later in the evening that attire is dumped for Chang wife beaters, same cargo shorts and some sandals and a stroll along walking street looking for a wife.... 

Looks like a divers watch to me, non-chrono.

9 hours ago, SoiBiker said:

That's not necessarily true, though. I've met loads of expats since I've lived here, and none of them are whiny, bigoted, miserable, sex-obsessed old men.

Perhaps because when talking to other people they largely have to hide their true feelings?

Being anonymous on a forum allows for easy venting of true feelings.

2 hours ago, JAFO said:

I really don't understand the dislike of cargo shorts amongst so many posters here :blink:.

They're practical and only possibly offensive to some peoples' ascetic sensibilities?

Everyone to their own, but I dislike tatoos/wife beaters/topless (unless seriously good looking) outside the beach etc. etc. - but don't see the need to go on and on about something so inconsequential.

You would be surprised (possibly) by the number that split their time between Thailand and their home country (other country).

When staying elsewhere like to keep in touch with whats happening in Thailand  and offer help to others.

5 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

No, really - they're nothing like the kind of people that dominate this place.

I think you're missing my point.

I've met a few people who only started venting their real feelings about various things once we knew each other fairly well.  Previously, it had (understandably) all been light and fluffy as we all 'felt each other' out - discovering whether we were trustworthy (if you get what I mean without automatically assuming a sexual dimension :rolleyes:).

4 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

You would be surprised (possibly) by the number that split their time between Thailand and their home country (other country).

When staying elsewhere like to keep in touch with whats happening in Thailand  and offer help to others.

No - I've done the same myself. I thought we were talking about people who didn't live here at all, though.

2 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I think you're missing my point.

I've met a few people who only started venting their real feelings about various things once we knew each other fairly well.  Previously, it had (understandably) all been light and fluffy as we all 'felt each other' out - discovering whether we were trustworthy (if you get what I mean without automatically assuming a sexual dimension :rolleyes:).

No, I get your point. But the people I know here mostly aren't like that at all.

Perhaps you think you know my friends better than I do, though?

On 8/2/2016 at 3:27 PM, manarak said:

agree about the cargo shorts.

also, I can't think of anything else giving me enough pockets as this type of shorts do.

I have three pairs of these.  I wear them on a rotating basis every day.  They last me 3 years each.  Old Navy.  400 baht for the ones with the label cut in half.

cargo.jpg

No, I get your point. But the people I know here mostly aren't like that at all.

Perhaps you think you know my friends better than I do, though?

Your wife has a good job and you are well travelled and living in bkk. You have a solid base to meet normal people. Nothing abnormal about that.

I've met plenty in bkk that are bitter and twisted
Quite a few that aren't too

8 minutes ago, JJGreen said:

Ponytails on over 50s. creepy stuff

Thanks for this post, as its made me realise that the reason why I'm so wary of publicly judging others on unimportant personal preferences - clothes/hair etc.

Basically, I had (have?) a relatively old stepmother who (to put it mildy!) dressed flamboyantly and so everyone laughed at her - which brought things into perspective and made me realise that these things are unimportant - even though I didn't like the woman.

Thanks for this post, as its made me realise that the reason why I'm so wary of publicly judging others on unimportant personal preferences - clothes/hair etc.

Basically, I had (have?) a relatively old stepmother who (to put it mildy!) dressed flamboyantly and so everyone laughed at her - which brought things into perspective and made me realise that these things are unimportant - even though I didn't like the woman.

Not important but you will be superficially judged on a ponytail,like it or not

46 minutes ago, Scotwight said:

I have three pairs of these.  I wear them on a rotating basis every day.  They last me 3 years each.  Old Navy.  400 baht for the ones with the label cut in half.

cargo.jpg

Yep they look like mine.I wear them almost anywhere as long as they are clean.

I live in a farming community and i am from a farming background,i feel at home!

2 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

I really don't understand the dislike of cargo shorts amongst so many posters here :blink:.

They're practical and only possibly offensive to some peoples' ascetic sensibilities?

Everyone to their own, but I dislike tatoos/wife beaters/topless (unless seriously good looking) outside the beach etc. etc. - but don't see the need to go on and on about something so inconsequential.

^ Actually DD, I am just bustin some chops here. I do not mind cargo pants. I have a few pairs that I wear very sparingly and usually only around the house. 99%% of my time I am always in Levi's. I have never found shorts of any kind to be cooler outside. 

But to your point, cheap or trendy Tats(especially new ones on old men)/wife beaters/shirtless/speedos are just in poor taste. And while not my choice I just look and chuckle as I see Thai's and others laughing and those folks dressed like that are utterly clueless. 

In fact around the property while trimming trees, mowing the lawn, digging holes and watering I dress like Bill Murray did in Caddyshack but I would never leave the property like that. 

carlspackler.jpg