Living In Maesai

I've been living in Maesai since 1998, and have been making border runs each month since 2002. My passport, made in Chiangmai in 2004, has nothing but Maesai - Tachileik stamps in it. It was easy to do, and was no problem until now.

I'm living with a Burmese who is in Thailand with a legal work permit and have two kids with her.

The two kids were born in the Maesai Hospital in 2000, and 2002.

Now I'm reading the Police Order 606-2006, section 7.17, and am thinking I can get an extension to support the two kids. (I am over 50 years old.)

But no. Thai immigration took one look at their birth certificates issued by the amphur, and said they are not eligible because they are not Thai.

This is difficult to believe that I will have to leave the country, and the kids, behind.

I thought anyone born in America is automatically American. But not so in Thailand.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this.

As you are over age 50 you have the option of using 800k in a bank deposit or income/pension of 65k per months to stay in retirement if that is your desire. If you would like to remove yourself and family to the US you should probably post in the other forum for more advise. Advise if you would like this post moved there.

As you are over age 50 you have the option of using 800k in a bank deposit or income/pension of 65k per months to stay in retirement if that is your desire. If you would like to remove yourself and family to the US you should probably post in the other forum for more advise. Advise if you would like this post moved there.

Not right now.

I thought anyone born in America is automatically American. But not so in Thailand.

Surprise, surprise: everywhere is not the USA.

Thailand, like many other countries, including most European countries, does not apply “jus soli”, which confers the nationality of the county where the child is born. Thailand uses “jus sanguinis”, whereby a child receives Thai nationality at birth if one of its parents is a Thai national, regardless of the country in which the child is born.

---------------

Maestro

No bashing, but you stay here since year on VOA or on tourist visa. So many temple to visit in Mae Sai?

You get a partner (no married? Disrespect of the thai culture about rship?) that is non thai (Burmese, kinda the most beloved historical ennemies of Thailand) who work in thailand (and by so take job from a thai person) and had 2 kids with her (2 kids who are costing money to the social system in thailand).

I repeat no bashing, but some people will think like that and by so certainly decide you are not a bona fide tourist. So the ways to go are :

1) stop to be a fake tourist

or

2) get a support visa (as lopburi said, put money in a bank, get a retirement visa or marry a thai lady, as long as you buy shoesfor her buffalo she will not mind if you have a mia noi)

or

3) As I , you still have the option to move in a country where you will be considered as a human person and have some rights (well here we do have rights, such as the rights to stay silent, the rights to say all is wonderful and sabai sabai, and the incredible right to support the thai economy by injected daily our hard earning money in the thai system .... make me remenber today is the 'tea money' day , have to go to ATM soon).

The fact you have childrens here is not relevant, thought you can have children with a thai lady and be not qualified to get a proper visa (if you are an english teacher you will not earn enought to meet the requirement), so if you leave and let your familly (sic) here will not make the immigration cry a river I am affraid.

Another day in Paradize

To those who will say I am not good in this post, please let me know why you have to assume the OP have 400K or 800K since 3 month in the bank or 45 K of monthly earning?How many english teachers do you know who work here legally and earn 45 k a month? I do know the OP is not an english teacher, but that is an easy exemple to show the iniquity of that law, and the fooliness of some answers who are not in tune with the reality of the main stream of the expats. If Rockfeller decide to live in Thailand, I am sure it will be no problem, but John Smith will have (and mostly we are more John Smith than Rockfeller).

No bashing, but you stay here since year on VOA or on tourist visa. So many temple to visit in Mae Sai?

To those who will say I am not good in this post, please let me know why you have to assume the OP have 400K or 800K since 3 month in the bank or 45 K of monthly earning?...

Sting, regarding the first part above, Immigration may soon be wondering the same.

The OP lives in Mae Sai since 1998. That is eight years, of which the last four to five on visa-exempt border runs and tourist visas; we don’t know what his visa status was before that. Don’t you think, Sting, that if someone can afford to live as a tourist, i.e. without income from employment, for such a long time he must have a fortune stashed away somewhere and therefore he should find it easy to meet the financial requirements for retirement status? He mentions that his foreign lady friend has a work permit, which suggests that she is gainfully employed, but I would not want to speculate that he has been living off her all these years.

The OP’s story puzzles me, that’s all I can say.

---------------

Maestro

The 800k in bank with a record of 3 months or pension/income of 65k per month or a combination to meet that amount would allow immigration to change your visa status and provide a one year extension of stay inside Thailand. Normally you would have to have a valid tourist visa with at least 21 days remaining but exceptions have been normal recently.