How to get a new canadian pasport in thailand?

So I've been in Chiang Mai since october of last year and have done 3 visa runs to laos since then. My next visa run would have to be around september 15 but my passport expires in january 2017 and I was told that they won't issue you a visa if your passport expires within 6 months. So I was wondering how I can get a new passport? What are the procedures, how much does it cost and how long does it take?

look forward to answers. thanks

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the replys, so if I want to get a new passport then I would be looking at the "Adult General Passport Application for Canadians 16 years of age or over"?

So this can be done in chiang mai? or do I have to go to bangkok? And when should I apply for this if I want my passport before september 15th?

Im going to get a one month extension on my setv on the 15th of august so if I apply for my new passport around the 20th would I recieve it by sep 15?

sorry for the annoying questions Im just terrible with this type of stuff lol

Renewed mine in Bangkok. They give you a ticket to pick up passport in 21 days. Make sure you tick the box to have your old passport returned. Once you get your new passport you should go to immigration in your region to get your stamps (any valid Thai visa) transfered to your new passport. 

9 minutes ago, RBOP said:

Renewed mine in Bangkok. They give you a ticket to pick up passport in 21 days. Make sure you tick the box to have your old passport returned. Once you get your new passport you should go to immigration in your region to get your stamps (any valid Thai visa) transfered to your new passport. 

" Once you get your new passport you should go to immigration in your region to get your stamps (any valid Thai visa) transfered to your new passport.  "

They don't normally transfer stamps for short-term permissions to stay. Usually only for annual extensions of stay, re-entry permits. They never transfer visas, although in the case of long term extensions of stay they will make a notation regarding the visa used to enter when they transfer the extension & re-entry permit stamps. 

Since the O/P will be on a 30 day extension of a tourist visa when he gets his new passport, he would simply present both his old and new passport when exiting the country when he does the visa run. He would be stamped out on the new passport and he would use that passport when apply for a new visa and returning to Thailand.

If he has a Thai bank account, he should inform the bank that he has a new passport.

5 hours ago, P4K said:

thanks for the replys, so if I want to get a new passport then I would be looking at the "Adult General Passport Application for Canadians 16 years of age or over"?

So this can be done in chiang mai? or do I have to go to bangkok? And when should I apply for this if I want my passport before september 15th?

Im going to get a one month extension on my setv on the 15th of august so if I apply for my new passport around the 20th would I recieve it by sep 15?

sorry for the annoying questions Im just terrible with this type of stuff lol

" Im going to get a one month extension on my setv on the 15th of august so if I apply for my new passport around the 20th would I recieve it by sep 15? "

A couple of people have posted that it took them 2 weeks to get the new passport and one suggested 21 days, so you do the calculation.

Make photocopies of the relevant pages in the old passport and, if possible, ask the embassy to allow you to keep the old passport while the new one is being processed. If you don't get the new passport in time for your visa run, you could apply for another extension of stay. The application would be denied, but they would give you another 7 days to leave the country.

2-3 years back I brought my old passport to the Canadian Consulate in Chiang Mai, (with completed forms, ID etc) - they sent it to Bangkok and contacted me a couple weeks later to pick up my new passport. And yes, make sure you check off that you want your old passport back - then take both to Airport Immigration to transfer stamps over to new passport. Info below

Consulate of Canada in Chiang Mai

The Consulate of Canada in Chiang Mai offers consular services to Canadians living and travelling in the north of Thailand.

151 Super Highway,
Tambon Tahsala
Amphur Muang,
Chiang Mai 50000

Telephone: +66 (0) 5385-0147 or +66 (0) 5324-2292
Fax: +66 (0) 5385-0332

Kindly note that we are frequently experiencing difficulties with phone and fax communications with our Consulate in Chiang Mai. We are encouraging Canadian citizen to reach us by e-mail.  We regret any inconvenience this may cause you.

Email: [email protected]

Building Photo

Hours of Operation

Walk-in service is available for general inquiries, citizenship applications, passport applications and notary services:

Monday to Friday 09:00 to 12:00.

For appointments outside these hours, please call +66 (0) 2646-4300, or send an email to [email protected]

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/thailand-thailande/consular_services_consulaires/consul_thailand-thailande.aspx?lang=eng#ChiangMai

3 hours ago, muskoka said:

2-3 years back I brought my old passport to the Canadian Consulate in Chiang Mai, (with completed forms, ID etc) - they sent it to Bangkok and contacted me a couple weeks later to pick up my new passport. And yes, make sure you check off that you want your old passport back - then take both to Airport Immigration to transfer stamps over to new passport. Info below

Consulate of Canada in Chiang Mai

The Consulate of Canada in Chiang Mai offers consular services to Canadians living and travelling in the north of Thailand.

151 Super Highway,
Tambon Tahsala
Amphur Muang,
Chiang Mai 50000

Telephone: +66 (0) 5385-0147 or +66 (0) 5324-2292
Fax: +66 (0) 5385-0332

Kindly note that we are frequently experiencing difficulties with phone and fax communications with our Consulate in Chiang Mai. We are encouraging Canadian citizen to reach us by e-mail.  We regret any inconvenience this may cause you.

Email: [email protected]

Building Photo

Hours of Operation

Walk-in service is available for general inquiries, citizenship applications, passport applications and notary services:

Monday to Friday 09:00 to 12:00.

For appointments outside these hours, please call +66 (0) 2646-4300, or send an email to [email protected]

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/thailand-thailande/consular_services_consulaires/consul_thailand-thailande.aspx?lang=eng#ChiangMai

If you are still in Chiangmai., just go to the Canadian consulate. The staff is  very helpful , there is no crowd there and they have the forms available. They will tell you what you need. You can also choose a 5 years passport or a 10 years passport at different price.  If you can wait in Chiangmai,,  they can send your application in Bangkok after they check everything is correct.You can choose to receive the new  passport by EMS courier at your address or pick-up at at the consulate.  Yoiu have to tell them.

Like they say , do not forget to indicate that you want you old passport back.

I did mine in Bangkok about a year ago, only because it was closer to me, but I am sure you with have no problems where you live.

As everyone has mentioned it is pretty easy going and mine took about 12 days to get, but they advice 3 weeks. All the forms and information you need is on the embassy site but if you are unsure you are close enough to pop down and get it their.

I do recall the form was "Adult General Passport Application for Canadians 16 years of age or over" but also for you it is a renewal. I also seem to recall there is a form when filing from overseas, like you will be doing, or from Canada, but I could be mistaken.

The good news is that now you can get a 10 Year Passport and not only the 5 Year, and like before. The bad news is that they will only issue 24 pages, so if you travel a lot, or work Overseas, there is no way it will last that long. Probably better off with the old 5 Year Passport, with 48 pages. 

The price rally went up a lot also. More than triple I believe. You will see that new price in shock and horror when you apply.     

On 8/12/2016 at 10:06 PM, Cletus said:

"So I've been in Chiang Mai since october of last year and have done 3 visa runs to laos since then. My next visa run ..."

3 consecutive visa run to maybe Vientiane? And planning for a 4th? 

With a new passport wouldnt this be a fresh start?