Street Vendors Protest on Beach Road

webfact

Street Vendors Protest on Beach Road

Story by Albert Jack

pat1.jpg

PATTAYA: -- Ten days ago city officials moved street food vendors away from Beach Road and warned them not to return.

Two-hundred of them returned yesterday to protest. But not about the new regulations set to control street food vendors in the city.

Instead, they were protesting that the fine of 2000 baht was too high.

Mr. Samorn Songsri, the leader of the protesters, made three demands.

1. Relocate them all back to the same area.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/229267/street-vendors-protest-beach-road/

pattaya-one_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya One 2016-08-03

These folk have not read the memo, there is a new sheriff in town and he is not intimidated by a bunch of whining cart pushers. The removal of the beach vendors in Phuket should act as a warning.

They made demands of the administrators who are quaking in their boots lest the new sheriff starts to look at past dealings hoping to change things.

1. Relocate them all back to the same area.

2. Reduce the fines to Bht. 200-300 per vendor

3. Prevent illegal or foreign vendor

In exchange they will pay their taxes!  :cheesy: :cheesy:   

If they don't get their way ;

He gave the city officials seven days to agree to his demands or promised they would be back.

Tell them they are dreaming.  

The army has some equipment that can pick up their vendor carts and put them in a compactor without raising a sweat. Then they can come back and wave their demands to city hall.

what sort of 'taxes' are they offering; official or unofficial?! :) So the city officials refuse the demands, and the vendors return to the streets only to be fined another 2000 Baht. i guess these guys really haven't thought it through. Oh, BTW vendors, if you are supposed to be paying official taxes, then you should be paying them anyway. :rolleyes:

On 8/3/2016 at 5:52 AM, LazySlipper said:

Keep the sidewalks safe... I am tired of risking life and limb walking in the streets.

Risk life and limb? Nonsense you exaggerate -  I love the food vendors in Asia especially in Thailand.

11 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

The human right to squat and obstruct access by others is deeply enshrined in the ... wait ... uh, ok, I don't know where but it just IS!  Just ask the Chinese.

Since when do we take moral guidance from the chinese?