Teacher required in Surin, Isan

Position:

Lecturer in English.

RMUTI University, Surin campus, Isan.

Essential requirements:

- Native speaking teacher from a Western country.

- Bachelor degree (minimum) - English / Linguistics major preferred.

- Age below 60 years.

Description of the position:

- 28,780 baht per month

- 15 to 18 hours of classes per week maximum.

- 8.30am to 430pm working hours.

- Friendly, supportive and non-competitive working environment.

- All classes are held in modern, air con rooms with up to date technology.

- The successful applicant will manage his/her own classes (i.e. work alone) for the majority of the weekly schedule. However, it will be necessary to work in collaboration with other teachers in a research class (3 hours per week). You will also be required to act as an ‘advisor’ to a subset of students who will require your guidance on their respective research projects.

- The content for your allocated classes will be provided in most cases. However, you might have to occasionally design new content / material.

- The successful applicant will sometimes be required to partake in extra curricular activities.

- Yearly contract / W.P with annual leave, sick leave and government health insurance.

The teacher we are looking for will possess the following attributes:

- Friendly and flexible team player.

- Diligent and have a desire to stay at work during office hours.

- Motivated to ensure that students achieve their daily learning objectives.

- Interested in undertaking practice based inquiry (classroom based ‘Action Research’) at our university- either as a lead author or co-author with other lecturers. This is a requirement for the annual review process at RMUTI.

- Tech’ savvy and interested in conducing ICT classes in our computer language centre once a semester for one of your classes.

- Overall, we want a teacher who will strive to do their best for the students and who has a positive attitude towards both students and staff.

Please send a PM to me with your Resume and photo. Short listed applicants will be contacted within 24 - 48 hours.

Many thanks.

Edited by surinteacher2016

1 hour ago, surinteacher2016 said:

- 28,780 baht per month

- 15 to 18 hours of classes per week maximum.

- 8.30am to 430pm working hours.

Standard (very low) Rajabhat University payment. 20,780 THB wage and 8,000 THB housing allowance.

1 hour ago, surinteacher2016 said:

- Yearly contract / W.P with annual leave, sick leave and government health insurance.

You forgot to mention that there are no paid holidays for university lecturers opposed to teachers in basic education government schools who have paid holidays in March/ April and October.

Good luck in finding a good candidate.

Edited by aidenai

It says 15-18 hours of classes per week.

If you know anything about this type of job. It means 'teaching' 6 classes of two hours. The other 6 hours is for 'practice'. Which means homework. Which students do while you're off wherever doing what ever.

I know what it means when the boss tells me to be in the office M-F 40 hours a week. It's all work. On duty or off.

If you like the conditions, you should apply. Can't imagine there being much in the way of competition.

Edited by Rob13

14 hours ago, Snackbar said:

You don't know anything about working at Rajabhat if you think there aren't any paid holidays.

2 terms of 16 weeks 'working' 18 hours a week, the remainder of the year is ostensibly paid holiday.

Wow! 20 weeks of paid holidays.  That's almost 5 months. Wow, if this were true.

On 8/3/2016 at 4:05 PM, aidenai said:

Standard (very low) Rajabhat University payment. 20,780 THB wage and 8,000 THB housing allowance.

You forgot to mention that there are no paid holidays for university lecturers opposed to teachers in basic education government schools who have paid holidays in March/ April and October.

Good luck in finding a good candidate.

Plus, he forgot to mention that plenty of hours are on weekends. 

11 hours ago, lostinisaan said:

Plus, he forgot to mention that plenty of hours are on weekends. 

If it is the same as my university, all the weekend hours are paid extra, (some, depending on level, very handsomely), and are optional.

At my Australian University Lecturers were on campus usually from 8.30am to about 6.30pm most days.  They had a maximum of 10 hrs lectures a week.  The rest of the time was spent in lecture preparation, student consultations and research and of course staff meetings.  The policy was in general that staff should be accessible for students as much as possible.  Most had the policy that if their door was open they were available and the door was open most of the time.

1 hour ago, muzmurray said:

If it is the same as my university, all the weekend hours are paid extra, (some, depending on level, very handsomely), and are optional.

Well, that's fair, but still raises the question why a university lecturer has a lower income than a Baan Nok English teacher at a government school?  I think it's fair to the students and colleagues to be available when on duty.

Teachers and lectures in "more civilized countries" don't just show up for their lessons. 

2 minutes ago, aidenai said:

20,780 THB is the salary and 8,000 THB is the housing allowance!

Wow! 
Just wondering...
The last three numbers of the salary (THB20,780)

THB780 seems to be a little odd. 
Why not just round it up to 21,000 or down to 20,000?

• 3 weeks later...