how to watch the Rio olympics

ghworker2010

27 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

Yes, me too. Just watched that Phelps bloke win a race, but it's a bit jerky and buffers occasionally - certainly not acceptable if I was paying for it.

OK, so what VPN do you use and how do you get the "proper sources"?

By proper sources I mean direct from the broadcaster. Plenty of decent VPNs out there, as long as you don't expect to get one for free.

ZEM.tv has a bunch of BeIn channels with Olympics (sports, pi sports)
USTVNow plus (addon) works fine, but just the main (single) NBC feed. Credential is free.
I've been using the NBC android app, a VPN, my Xfinity/Comcast credentials to stream to my Chromecast. 

Filed under the better late category...

Evidently AIS is the "Official" mobile broadcaster of the Rio Olympics so...

you'll need an AIS number

the AIS Play app (1.0.7) - I couldn't get it in the Play Store for some geo-lock reason, so side-loaded the apk which is widely available

install the app, log in using your AIS number (any AIS number works)

be on a WiFi network (otherwise you'll use up a lot of mobile data)

launch the app, which is a channel guide, it has all the AIS channels, scroll down where you'l find the 12-13 Rio channels

I'm casting my screen to my Chromecast attached to my TV

quality is quite good, I had to let the stream settle for 15 seconds, and it gets very sharp and clear, no way to see the stream stats (Chromecast always indicates 1080p), but estimate SD.

Screenshot_20160816-065407.png

Edited by mtls2005

Once activated with an AIS SIM, the SIM can be removed, and the original device retains its functionality. I do not know if one SIM can activate another device? No way to test it, but my guess would be "no". You can get a SIM for 49 baht.

Edited by mtls2005

I've had to use a VPN, along with my Xfinity credential, to access the NBC app. Even then it is painfully complex to get set up, and they seem to have geo-locked me as of today?

I see no VPN indication, or cable provider credential on your screenshot; you have that working here?

The AIS Play option costs 50 baht for a SIM, is simple, legal, easy, awesome.

Screenshot_20160817-100846.png

Accidentally saw what Thai TVs are going to air tonight (17/8) - so took a couple of photos of my telly.

Beware - the times may be inaccurate (eg Athletics are also aired 7am to 9am).

The feed is not very high quality (SD) but at least there is English commentary available (TrueVisions cable Gold).

P_20160817_072537.jpgP_20160817_072612.jpg

Dentsu owns the exclusive traditional TV rights for the Olympics in Thailand (and elsewhere in Asia), 

From a news article a few months ago...

Dentsu Inc, the holder of Olympic broadcast rights in Thailand, has reaffirmed that it will not allow non-TV Pool member channels to broadcast the 2016 Summer Olympics.

Sarnchatt Chansrakao, managing director of Dentsu Media Thailand, said the parent advertising agency in Japan made clear its stance that only TV Pool would be allowed to broadcast the Rio Olympics in Thailand.
The TV Pool network includes Channel 3, Channel 5, Channel 7, Channel 9 (MCOT HD), NBT and Thai PBS.

From the pictures above; top, Channel 9, bottom, NBT.

Edited by mtls2005