Want to move to Phangan

I love Phangan and would like to move there at some stage with my wife. I don't remember seeing much local accomodation at the beaches, so would I need to live in the town to be able to find cheap long term accomodation?

My wife would need to work, so does anyone know if there is still demand for English speaking hotel/ resort staff? If it is like Pattaya with the diminishing tourism I imagine it would be hard to find anything, but that is why I am asking. ( Obviously I wouldn't be employed so we wouldn't get hotel staff accomodation ).

Thanks for any relevant advice.

Morning, take a look on Facebook groups. There are some for houses for rent here (Phangan) and also jobs available too. There are lots of the former, and now being low season the best time to look, and less of the latter. 

Good luck!

Even a small Villa would be in your range...during low season.  You would need to lock on a long lease to get the best price.  On the beach is going to be more expensive....and you may want to try the north shore, just off the beach. The prices you see advertised are mostly going through an agency/broker.  You need to go to Phangan, rent a scooter, and look for deals yourself.  I let my wife do all that. Circumventing advertisements and agencies...and dealing directly with the owner (cash in hand) is the best way.

I just moved to Samui and a basic 2 bedroom unit, fully furnished with aircon in both bedrooms...is just 12,000 (extended lease).   Our house is walking distance to the beach. We have been looking at Koh Phangan, for a move next year (too much traffic and some drainage odors in Samui).  Actually came up with several 2 bedroom homes available for slightly more.  If there was a pool nearby, and some small eateries, watering holes, I would not even use the car that much.  That saves 2000 a month.   A good breezy location saves on aircon, as well.  We don't use the aircon as much as I did in Udon (during the hotter months).

If you really need the extra income (wife needs to work), I would look at large resorts...possible near (but not in), the Haad Rin area.  Especially before the Full Moon.  It is not our type of area, but she might get a foothold on a the need for extra staff just before the Full Moon Raging starts.   I recommend you stay far from that, if possible.  Just thinking about employment.

Edited by slipperylobster

Look from srithanu up the coast to chaloklum. Plenty of new and old houses for long term. Now is the time to lock it in, high season everyone wants the quick buck. Make sure your lease is ironclad.

9 hours ago, slipperylobster said:

Even a small Villa would be in your range...during low season.  You would need to lock on a long lease to get the best price.  On the beach is going to be more expensive....and you may want to try the north shore, just off the beach. The prices you see advertised are mostly going through an agency/broker.  You need to go to Phangan, rent a scooter, and look for deals yourself.  I let my wife do all that. Circumventing advertisements and agencies...and dealing directly with the owner (cash in hand) is the best way.

I just moved to Samui and a basic 2 bedroom unit, fully furnished with aircon in both bedrooms...is just 12,000 (extended lease).   Our house is walking distance to the beach. We have been looking at Koh Phangan, for a move next year (too much traffic and some drainage odors in Samui).  Actually came up with several 2 bedroom homes available for slightly more.  If there was a pool nearby, and some small eateries, watering holes, I would not even use the car that much.  That saves 2000 a month.   A good breezy location saves on aircon, as well.  We don't use the aircon as much as I did in Udon (during the hotter months).

If you really need the extra income (wife needs to work), I would look at large resorts...possible near (but not in), the Haad Rin area.  Especially before the Full Moon.  It is not our type of area, but she might get a foothold on a the need for extra staff just before the Full Moon Raging starts.   I recommend you stay far from that, if possible.  Just thinking about employment.

Thanks for the info.

I was thinking more along the lines of the large room that I rented in Pattaya for 5,000 a month. Don't need a house.

Perhaps I should have mentioned that, but I guess one man's "cheap" is my "expensive".

I forgot about Chaloklum. I like the beach there, and plenty of resorts around there or not far.

I don't need the extra income, but I don't pay my wife to live with me and she has to earn her own money.

Thanks to all that replied

Edited by thaibeachlovers

19 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Thanks for the info.

I was thinking more along the lines of the large room that I rented in Pattaya for 5,000 a month. Don't need a house.

Perhaps I should have mentioned that, but I guess one man's "cheap" is my "expensive".

I forgot about Chaloklum. I like the beach there, and plenty of resorts around there or not far.

I imagine you will want to look at a Thai Apartelle.  Particularly around a college (do they have one in Phangan?). You could probably get a fairly decent room with aircon for 5000 a month...long lease.  I used to stay in these instead of hotels.  They are usually new and clean....but don't advertise in English.  A good sized town should have a few on the back streets.  They look like little apartment buildings (usually new).   Best have your wife call and do all the arrangements.

I did see a hotel, with two rooms, for 5000 a month (aircon)....in Bang Por, Samui. I am certain you could find similar in the more secluded areas of Phangan.

Edited by slipperylobster