Non-O (Marriage) Extension of Stay

My first year of married bliss is drawing to an end, and all the topics I read tend to discuss getting a new visa + extension. Do I need to leave Thailand and get a brand new visa, or can I just submit a fresh set of evidence to ensure my wife gets to drive me nuts for another 12 months?

Edited by timbothaivisa

You certainly do not need to go out for a new visa. Just apply for another extension of stay based upon marriage by showing the required financial proof and supporting documents.

Just did my 9th one and have not left the country.

• Like 1

Maybe I should post another topic (please say if so), but I'd like to switch to the "400k in the bank" method of financial proof, but the funds have only just become available, and my current extension is only until end of this month. Is there any way to "extend" my current status until the "2 months in the bank" requirement is done?

14 minutes ago, timbothaivisa said:

Maybe I should post another topic (please say if so), but I'd like to switch to the "400k in the bank" method of financial proof, but the funds have only just become available, and my current extension is only until end of this month. Is there any way to "extend" my current status until the "2 months in the bank" requirement is done?

You could apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife to get the extra time needed unless you have applied for one already since you last visa entry.

You could apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife to get the extra time needed unless you have applied for one already since you last visa entry.

Sounds promising! 

So would that extension bridge the gap using my existing Non-O visa? Basically I'm really trying to avoid going for a new visa when I come to get my new extension for marriage.

All you have now is an extension of the 90 day permit to stay you got from a non-o visa that expired long ago. The 60 day extension will be for the extension of stay you have now.

3 minutes ago, timbothaivisa said:

Last question (honest!)

While looking up answers to this, I found a number of discussions where the figure of 800k is being mentioned, along with others quoting the usual 400k. Why the difference, and is 400k correct for my purposes?

The 800k baht is for retirement extensions.For marriage it is 400k baht for 2 months. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, cloudos said:

Hi Ubonjoe, does this 400k need to be in Thai Baht or are foreign currencies ok?

Cheers!

Some offices will accept foreign currency accounts. You will need to check with your local office to find out their policy,

• 4 weeks later...

So the week is finally upon me, and predictably there are questions, questions, questions...

For the 60 day extension, do I need to do any more than fill in the standard form with photo and pay the 1,900?

I read in another thread that getting an extension for permission to stay based on family requires the child to be in attendance? Does my wife need to be with me?

Edited by timbothaivisa

11 hours ago, timbothaivisa said:

So the week is finally upon me, and predictably there are questions, questions, questions...

For the 60 day extension, do I need to do any more than fill in the standard form with photo and pay the 1,900?

I read in another thread that getting an extension for permission to stay based on family requires the child to be in attendance? Does my wife need to be with me?

Wife needs to be with you.

Marriage certificate plus a copy, copies your wife's house book registry and ID card. Proof of residence.

Copies of your passport photo page, visa, entry/permit to stay stamp and TM6 departure card.

• Like 1

Thanks gents, last night I gathered most of the requirements as above from another thread, as I left home at 6:30am.

If you plan to go early like we did, know that there was already a queue at 7:05am when we arrived, with doors not opening until 8:30am, by which time the queue had encircled the seating area in the main building lobby twice!

Signed copies of all the below were brought along with originals, but we were not asked to produce the originals:

• Marriage Certificate
  • Kror 2 (returned without inspection)
  • Wife's Tabien Baan
  • Wife's ID card
  • Passport main page
  • Passport last entry stamp + TM6 departure card
  • Passport expired 'annual extension of stay for marriage' stamp
  • Condo lease agreement

Extras worth noting: 

• the officer also required a copy of the original (expired) Non-O visa, which was on another page. Luckily she gave me time to go and get the copy made downstairs in a shop towards the back of the complex. 
  • meanwhile the wife needed to fill in written statements confirming our married status and acknowledgement of the penalties of overstay
  • since the reason for extension was for the 400k in my account to mature for the required 2 months, the officer asked to see my bank book which I had luckily brought along. the book was not updated to show the funds present, but she was satisfied to see that the account had been in use with some decent-sized sums deposited in the past
  • since we presented the condo contract as proof of residence, she also requested a copy of the landlord's ID card and Tabien Baan, neither of which we had. luckily my wife is a charmer and the officer let us off on this occasion!

Thanks again to the experts, and hope this experience proves useful to others.