Smartphone, handbag returned after police nab Phuket brother thieves who robbed foreigners

rooster59

Smartphone, handbag returned after police nab Phuket brother thieves who robbed foreigners

Darawan Naknakhon

1470537326_1.jpg

PHUKET: City Municipality Police last night (August 6) arrested two suspects who on Friday robbed two foreigners making away with a handbag containing cash, identity documents and a smartphone.

According to the initial report, Mr Vedat Dogan of Australia and Ms Domonkoso Vaniko of Slovakia, both 28, were robbed by two Thai men on a motorbike in front of Phuket’s Downtown fresh market.

At 10pm last night, police apprehended the first suspect after tracing him using CCTV footage to a house on Soi 3 of Surin Rd in Phuket Town’s Talad Yai sub district.

The suspect, named as 29-year-old Somchai Buraphut of Phuket, fit the description of the driver, and his green Kawasaki KSR motorbike also fit the description of the vehicle used in the robbery, police said.  

After confronting the suspect and showing him their CCTV evidence, police said the suspect confessed to committing the robbery with his younger brother, named as 20-year-old Mr Sompong.

Somchai led police to his younger brother at a house on Soi Saen Suk 2, also in Talad Yai, where he was arrested and also confessed to the crime.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/smartphone-handbag-returned-after-police-nab-phuket-brother-thieves-who-robbed-foreigners-58587.php#9bBVcS8ehF5wSM28.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-08-07

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, SOTIRIOS said:

...would like to hear what sentences they will face...if any.....

...this 'confession & apology ' bs is out of hand......

The usually few hundred baht fine, and couple of thousand at most under the table. All a joke, no wonder most of the 'suspects' are laughing at the photo shoot.

1 hour ago, SOTIRIOS said:

...would like to hear what sentences they will face...if any.....

...this 'confession & apology ' bs is out of hand......

It is time you pay a visit to a Thai jail, where you see people like thic locked away for many, many years.

You and others claiming nonsense that the sentences for these kind of offenders are light really have no clue what they're talking about.

47 minutes ago, stevenl said:

It is time you pay a visit to a Thai jail, where you see people like thic locked away for many, many years.

You and others claiming nonsense that the sentences for these kind of offenders are light really have no clue what they're talking about.

Sir, did you read post #5? That is exactly how it is in a country with no rule of law. You, me or anyone here can be beaten, robbed, raped and murdered with little or no real justice applied. If “people like this blah blah blah…”; then why are there never any follow up statements as to what actually happens?

6 minutes ago, billythehat said:

Sir, did you read post #5? That is exactly how it is in a country with no rule of law. You, me or anyone here can be beaten, robbed, raped and murdered with little or no real justice applied. If “people like this blah blah blah…”; then why are there never any follow up statements as to what actually happens?

#5 is BS like yours.

People get heavy sentences for offences like this. 

2 hours ago, Chapelroad said:

I think you will find that theft is a very serious offence here, and they will receive a custodial sentence, if found guilty.

police are in the business of making money. you can buy your way out of pretty much any petty crime, and even some major ones. you  can even pay a jail out to get released. cops want the cash payout and to not have to bother wil anything else. the people who get long sentences are those who have no money to pay thheir way out.

hope the cops didnt switch the phone and hand bag out with fake ones like they did with those royal jewls.

Just now, williamgeorgeallen said:

police are in the business of making money. you can buy your way out of pretty much any petty crime, and even some major ones. you  can even pay a jail out to get released. cops want the cash payout and to not have to bother wil anything else. the people who get long sentences are those who have no money to pay thheir way out.

hope the cops didnt switch the phone and hand bag out with fake ones like they did with those royal jewls.

You cannot pay to get out of jail.

Once it is that far into the system, it is well out of the hands of the police, they are out of the equation.

29 minutes ago, Chapelroad said:

You cannot pay to get out of jail.

Once it is that far into the system, it is well out of the hands of the police, they are out of the equation.

i know of at least 2 cases of thai people asking friends of mine to cover their fee to get out of jail. the last one was a friend of mine who was dating a girl who got caught selling yabba. it is quite common for many bargirls to sell it  on the side. she got 10 years as she did not have the money to pay off the cops when she got caught. she recently asked my friend martin for 200 000thb to bribe her way out of the jail. he said no.  jails run seperatly from the cops so once in jail the bribe goes to the staff of the jail, not to the police.  i would not be surprised if the jail keeps getting paid for the prisoner they have been paid a kick back to release early. must be one hell of an earner.

28 minutes ago, billythehat said:

Yeah I guess 500 Baht is a lot of cash for  some folk…:coffee1:

I personally know someone doing 8 years for shoplifting.

No violence involved, just repeat shoplifting.

She had contacts who had access to money, however, although some solicitors will tell you that for a large sum, they can get you a lighter sentence, or even freedom, they cannot.

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

C'mon Steven ... you have been here for years. Sure some get locked up, but those are ones who cannot pay.

It's well known that those with money walk ...

Edited by LivinginKata

3 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

i know of at least 2 cases of thai people asking friends of mine to cover their fee to get out of jail. the last one was a friend of mine who was dating a girl who got caught selling yabba. it is quite common for many bargirls to sell it  on the side. she got 10 years as she did not have the money to pay off the cops when she got caught. she recently asked my friend martin for 200 000thb to bribe her way out of the jail. he said no.  jails run seperatly from the cops so once in jail the bribe goes to the staff of the jail, not to the police.  i would not be surprised if the jail keeps getting paid for the prisoner they have been paid a kick back to release early. must be one hell of an earner.

Why do the rich and wealthy allegedly abscond to Singapore, Dubai, or wherever, when, as you assume, they can walk into the jail, pay a large amount of cash, and have their freedom back ?

4 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

C'mon Steven ... you have been here for years. Sure some get locked up, but those are ones who cannot pay.

Did Mr T walk ?

No, he flew to Dubai and still has the 2 years awaiting, despite his wealth. 

11 minutes ago, Chapelroad said:

Why do the rich and wealthy allegedly abscond to Singapore, Dubai, or wherever, when, as you assume, they can walk into the jail, pay a large amount of cash, and have their freedom back ?

not sure if this is a serious question but i will answer it anyway. when one political party comes into power they try to put members of the previous political party in jail and keep them there at any cost.   you must be pretty green to thailand to not know this.

1 minute ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

not sure if this is a serious question but i will answer it anyway. when one political party comes into power they try to put members of the previous political party in jail and keep them there at any cost.   you must be pretty green to thailand to not know this.

If 25 years is green, then I am green.

I pointed out one incident, many more about if you care to search the internet. 

25 years here? how many coup cycles have you been through? i am only on the second but i understand how when a new political party gets in they try to punish the members of the last political party? almost every politician screws up or puts their hands in the cookie jar at  some stage and the next government will make a political show over it and the general public will get upset. is harder to get out of punishment from high profile cases, hence many high flyers will pay a very large  bail and do a runner. is a bit of a win win situation as people like thaksin (he is the only one i know of but i am sure there are more) basically is admitting his guilt by fleeing and then the current government does not have to deal with them as they are in excile. 25 years and i am very surprised that you dont know about these things. do you follow the local news?

5 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

25 years here? how many coup cycles have you been through? i am only on the second but i understand how when a new political party gets in they try to punish the members of the last political party? almost every politician screws up or puts their hands in the cookie jar at  some stage and the next government will make a political show over it and the general public will get upset. is harder to get out of punishment from high profile cases, hence many high flyers will pay a very large  bail and do a runner. is a bit of a win win situation as people like thaksin (he is the only one i know of but i am sure there are more) basically is admitting his guilt by fleeing and then the current government does not have to deal with them as they are in excile. 25 years and i am very surprised that you dont know about these things. do you follow the local news?

Not even worth discussing anything with you, never mind arguing.

You just stay in your little bubble, where you believe only poor people go to jail, and that most people get a 500 baht fine, and walk free.

I know otherwise, but I am not going to spoil your beliefs.

2 hours ago, billythehat said:

Sure I have read that post. So what?

It remains nonsense. Just as your post shows a complete lack of knowledge of the subject.

Oh, and you want me to explain the lack of quality reporting here?

Edited by stevenl

1 hour ago, LivinginKata said:

'It's well known' is one of the worst things people can say, only used when they can't come up with a real consideration.

Many fugitives from Thailand with some real money behind them. They were all not able to easily buy their way out.

This would be a very good subject from some in-depth reporting, checking up on what happened to the perpetrators of many of these 'petty' crimes. Through family I know some of them, and I also know where they end up: in jail with heavy sentences, something like this can easily warrant 5-10 years.

1 hour ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

Now read your own post again and see how this proves or even is any indication that it is possible or common practice.

1 hour ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

jails run seperatly (sic) from the cops so once in jail the bribe goes to the staff of the jail, not to the police.  i would not be surprised if the jail keeps getting paid for the prisoner they have been paid a kick back to release early. must be one hell of an earner.

The staff of the jail are there to supervise the inmates, and their weekly reports about inmates behaviour etc. go to a judiciary panel.

Apart from writing glowing reports about inmates, jail staff have no say whatsoever on the length of sentence to be served by any prisoner.

1 hour ago, Chapelroad said:

The staff of the jail are there to supervise the inmates, and their weekly reports about inmates behaviour etc. go to a judiciary panel.

Apart from writing glowing reports about inmates, jail staff have no say whatsoever on the length of sentence to be served by any prisoner.

who ever manages the jails must be getting the bribes to let the prisoners out early. that money must be going somewhere. maybe the head warden collects it and part of it gets handed up the line like cops collecting their fines off the street. dosent really matter who get the money, the fact is you can buy your way out of jail.

3 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

who ever manages the jails must be getting the bribes to let the prisoners out early. that money must be going somewhere. maybe the head warden collects it and part of it gets handed up the line like cops collecting their fines off the street. dosent really matter who get the money, the fact is you can buy your way out of jail.

i know a very good lawyer, who is also a retired Member of Parliament. 

He has told me, in a personal conversation, that corruption up to an actual trial is rife, as most of us are aware.

He also told me that once it goes to trial, it is a different ball game altogether, and buying yourself out of jail does not happen.

Now, unless you can provide proof of your assumption, which I very much doubt you can, I will tend to carry on believing him rather than your BS.

Not even worth discussing anything with you, never mind arguing.

You just stay in your little bubble, where you believe only poor people go to jail, and that most people get a 500 baht fine, and walk free.

I know otherwise, but I am not going to spoil your beliefs.

well i am always up for a good discussion, especially since i retired. think you will find that most minor crimes are settled with what we would conside small fines and the jails are filled with poor people who can not afford these fines. trying to say the rich get jail sentences because taksin got a 2 year sentence is very weak. he was singled out by an aposing political party when he was put out of office.

well you havent spoilt my beliefs because you havent shown me a convincing evidence to the contrary. you gave up pretty easy by the way.

1 minute ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

well i am always up for a good discussion, especially since i retired. think you will find that most minor crimes are settled with what we would conside small fines and the jails are filled with poor people who can not afford these fines. trying to say the rich get jail sentences because taksin got a 2 year sentence is very weak. he was singled out by an aposing political party when he was put out of office.

well you havent spoilt my beliefs because you havent shown me a convincing evidence to the contrary. you gave up pretty easy by the way.

I think you missed my post about the girl that got 8 years for serial shoplifting, with no violence involved.

At the time, her then Western boyfriend was inundated outside the jail at visiting time by lawyers, promising him they could get her early release, each time he had to pay a 50,000 baht non refundable bond to the lawyers.

He was not short of money, and was prepared to pay whatever it took to get her out.

Each lawyer eventually came back with the 'cannot' reply, with each bond down the pan.

It was only after consulting a lawyer higher up the ladder that he was told he had wasted his money, as it was NOT, repeat NOT possible.

I think you missed my post about the girl that got 8 years for serial shoplifting, with no violence involved.

At the time, her then Western boyfriend was inundated outside the jail at visiting time by lawyers, promising him they could get her early release, each time he had to pay a 50,000 baht non refundable bond to the lawyers.

He was not short of money, and was prepared to pay whatever it took to get her out.

Each lawyer eventually came back with the 'cannot' reply, with each bond down the pan.

It was only after consulting a lawyer higher up the ladder that he was told he had wasted his money, as it was NOT, repeat NOT possible.

so you think judges cant be bribed because of this one case? everything in thailand is corrupt to some extent. i have friends who have gone through the courts with land issues and custody battles. there were plenty of brown envelopes going around.