Man wrecks pickup at slippery 'deadly curve', left foot severed from ankle

webfact

Eakkapop Thongtub

1470566116_1.jpg

PHUKET: -- Doctors have yet to confirm whether or not they will be able to salvage a man's left foot, which was severed from his ankle in a freak accident this morning along Thepkrasatri Rd north of Phuket Town.

Police and rescue workers were notified of the accident at about 9 a.m. this morning and reported to the scene, at a roadside ditch along the infamous Kuan Din Daeng curve, a few kilometers north of Super Cheap.

There, rolled over on its side in the ditch off the southbound lane was a totaled bronze-colored pickup truck with Bangkok license plates. Inside the cab of the truck there was a man screaming frantically that his foot had been cut off. Rescue workers quickly assessed the situation, noting that a steel guardrail from the road had penetrated the insude of vehicle causing the man's left foot to be severed from his ankle.

Rescue workers quickly collected the man's severed foot, which was caught in the seat, and had it rushed to the hospital morgue freezer in hopes of preventing any further cell decay. 

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/man-wrecks-pickup-at-slippery-deadly-curve-left-foot-severed-from-ankle-58591.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-08-08

Knowing how poorly Thais drive, disregarding the safety of others, there is a big part of me that takes satisfaction whenever the driver is injured.  Maybe others will take the hint to slow down, but I doubt it.

the guard rails are usually quite sturdy, given they are supposed to stop vehicles coming off the road.
Wonder how a loose end could come off and penetrate the side of the vehicle. 

2 hours ago, hdkane said:

Knowing how poorly Thais drive, disregarding the safety of others, there is a big part of me that takes satisfaction whenever the driver is injured.  Maybe others will take the hint to slow down, but I doubt it.

Even though I find your comment disgusting (finding satisfaction in the misfortune of others) I have to admit i share your feelings. 

This guy did not spin out of control doing 40-60 km/h and I am happy he only injured himself and not a load of other people at the same time.

1 minute ago, toofarnorth said:

...freak accident.   Another accident by the usual freaking drivers more like.

Exactly correct, yet another poor driver.  But the driver is paying a very heavy penalty of a possible lost foot. No need for previous posters to speak so bad about him. 

Hey ho, another pointless traffic incident. :coffee1:

Luckily Stumpy didn't take anybody else out with him and can spend the rest of his life limping around trying to figure out what happened and the world will continue to turn and nothing will be done to fix the situation that causes under educated drivers to speed on ill-built roads with insignificant oversight.

Going through my scrapbook just the other day, I have to admit that I figured out that none of my loved ones (or anybody else, myself included) have gone through life without an occasional screwup.

So I find it pretty revolting that people revel in harm to their fellow human beings for- well, for being human and therefore fallible.

There, but for the grace of God (or the luck of the draw for all you atheists) go I.  Or any one of my loved ones.  Or any of the jewels posting here.

Edited by impulse