Photo of baby hammerhead shark served on Koh Lanta menu goes viral

Jonathan Fairfield

Photo of baby hammerhead shark served on Koh Lanta menu goes viral

coco.jpg

PHUKET:— A restaurant on the island of Koh Lanta, south of Phuket, has been serving baby hammerhead shark, and noted marine activist Dr. Thon Thamrongnawasawat is calling for the sharks to be added to the endangered species list in order to make the sad practice stop.

The call from Dr. Thon followed a viral photo of a small hammerhead shark being served on a dish at Try Me Restaurant in Koh Lanta.

The photo was posted on Friday on the Facebook page of Sunshine Sketcher, who promotes wildlife conservation.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/08/08/photo-baby-hammerhead-shark-served-koh-lanta-menu-goes-viral

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2016-08-08

1 hour ago, anotheruser said:

Added to the endangered list to make the practice stop? They are either endangered or they aren't you can't just add an animal to an endangered list because harvesting it is personally distasteful to yourself. 

From Wikipedia:

In March 2013, three endangered commercially valuable sharks, the hammerheads, the oceanic whitetip, and porbeagle were added to Appendix II of CITES, bringing shark fishing and commerce of these species under licensing and regulation

2 hours ago, anotheruser said:

Added to the endangered list to make the practice stop? They are either endangered or they aren't you can't just add an animal to an endangered list because harvesting it is personally distasteful to yourself. 

All people (forget the endangered list) of good conscience should be abhorred by this practice. Must there be an endangered list to make our common sense kick in and tell us this is wrong. If so well I guess we as humans are unfit to share this planet with any and all other creatures. I sure would like to see the owner of this restaurant on the plate with an apple stuck in his mouth.  

7 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

All people (forget the endangered list) of good conscience should be abhorred by this practice. Must there be an endangered list to make our common sense kick in and tell us this is wrong. If so well I guess we as humans are unfit to share this planet with any and all other creatures. I sure would like to see the owner of this restaurant on the plate with an apple stuck in his mouth.  

Who gets to make the morals? Should we not eat beef, pork, horse, dogs, cats, whales, etc. the list goes on. My only point is if there is abundance it should be eaten.  

1 hour ago, exalll said:

From Wikipedia:

In March 2013, three endangered commercially valuable sharks, the hammerheads, the oceanic whitetip, and porbeagle were added to Appendix II of CITES, bringing shark fishing and commerce of these species under licensing and regulation

Then the activist is mistaken for wanting it to be added to the list.  My point about him wanting it added (whether it is on it already or not) just to stop a restaurant from serving it is misguided. 

I don't eat anything from the sea except some chips with seaweed. I love sharks and the hammerhead are fantastic to see on Discovery Channel but here in Isaan I have seen many baby sharks for eat at the market but I am used to it.

The Japanese kill thousands of Dolphins every year so if someone eats a hammerhead, shit happens.

I certainly will not eat and prefer maybe to eat a puppy dog if I have to chose between something from the sea or something that is barking around in my neighborhood. 

1 hour ago, cockatoowho said:

They have been selling  Shark meat (as flake) in fish and chips shops in Oz since Jesus played fullback for Jerusalem.

Flake in Australia is from gummy and snapper shark, it is also a regulated industry and had been closed down when numbers dropped many years ago when they first started netting them, long lining was sustainable, netting wasnt but they have catch limits on them now. Its a big difference from the "sell what ever you can" syndrome we have here

5 hours ago, cockatoowho said:

They have been selling  Shark meat (as flake) in fish and chips shops in Oz since Jesus played fullback for Jerusalem.

What they probably sell as "shark meat" is actually dogfish. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogfish

Or maybe they sell hake? http://www.sustainableseafood.org.au/fish.php/1/49/hake

BTW was Jesus playing full back at Beitar or Hapoel?  default_post-4641-1156694083.gif              

10 hours ago, anotheruser said:

This shark is heavily fished for its large fins, which are extremely valuable on the Asian market as the main ingredient of shark fin soup. As a result, great hammerhead populations are declining substantially worldwide, and it has been assessed as Endangered by the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_hammerhead

3 hours ago, anotheruser said:

So these baby hammerheads are sought after for there fins and served whole? I also thought the same thing but because of the ammonia in shark meat it smells like piss normally. So nobody would buy a whole shark if they just wanted the fins.

Once on Goa India i ordered a sharksteak in a restaurant on the beach, it was terrible because of the ammonia-taste. I thought they gave me a rotten piece, so that's how all sharks taste?

Well in Oz they sold me nice shark-flakes at MacD., no ammonia in that.

12 hours ago, anotheruser said:

So these baby hammerheads are sought after for there fins and served whole? I also thought the same thing but because of the ammonia in shark meat it smells like piss normally. So nobody would buy a whole shark if they just wanted the fins.

shark needs to be filleted out then wrapped  in glad wrap(clear kitchen wrap) and put in the fridge over a night(or two) so the ammonia taste dissipates before it can be eaten. You can also freeze it for short periods after this(no more than 6 weeks), it has a very mild flavour and each variety of shark does taste slightly different, I found mako(pink meat) was a rather nice one to eat.

Edited by seajae

shark needs to be filleted out then wrapped  in glad wrap(clear kitchen wrap) and put in the fridge over a night(or two) so the ammonia taste dissipates before it can be eaten. You can also freeze it for short periods after this(no more than 6 weeks), it has a very mild flavour and each variety of shark does taste slightly different, I found mako(pink meat) was a rather nice one to eat.

Swordfish fisherman prefer shark,and that's a fact!