Matching Destination With Expectation

BAKABAS

Hi everyone,

I'm a 43 yo Aussie who wants to have a good break ( first in 11 years ). I have researched a bit and Pattaya seems too night lifey for me, Chiang Mai is looking ok , but i was wondering about the towns or cities in other parts of Thailand. Can anyone give me some feedback?

I need to reeelaxxx. I don't need touts ( as little as possible). I ain't looking for the heavy bar scene.

I would like to spend on 2-3 star accom. I don't fancy gettin fried on the beach. I would like to meet "normal " Thai ladies to hopefully strike up a friendship, for the next visit which will be in June. ( I made a pact to have a 2 week break every 4-6 months from now on ).

In the "other places" ie: away from the obvious ones such as i mentioned, how many Farangs would i expect to see. Like, i don't want to end up where no-one can speak english ( well at least enough to get the basics )

Or does anyone know of a thread that has a brief description of left of field places ,info for tourists.

Cheers,

WAZZA

Sydney

Oh: also not into bush walking or stuff that sounds too healthy. :o

Personally, I don't think there is one place you could spend in Thailand for four weeks without going crazy, unless you were married to a Thai girl.

That being said, Chiangmai is laid back, it has a night life, but it isn't like Bangkok, Phuket or Pattaya. This can be avoided easily. You are surrounded by places to further avoid the rush of tourists if you so desire. When I want to just get away and lay back, I take the family up to Chaeng Saen, which is a town on the Mekhong River with a view of Myanmar and Laos. Just sit there drink beer while the family devours food cooked on the river walk.

Consider traveling........ train is a great option. Travel up to Nong Kai, cross the Mekong and go to Vientiane Laos.

In Issan, there is an abundance of places to go that are off the beaten tourist path. Any of the major cities will offer great hotels at great prices. This is where you can see the real Thailand that the tourist never sees! Nakorn Rathasima and Buriram have some incredible Khmer ruins from the Angkor Watt era. Khon Kaen is a hopping town as is Ubon Ratchatani.

Islands that are still nice to visit are getting less and less, but one that comes to mind is Koh Samet or Turatow.

What I am trying to say, is don't plant roots, travel around....... you might find that girl, you might not. If you take the train (More conducive to sightseeing than air or bus) go 2nd or 3rd class. 1st is more comfortable but secluded. The bus system (Have a map to show the ticket agents since they normally speak no English) in Thailand is extensive so there is pretty much nowhere you can't get......

Have fun!

Some good advice given by the previous posting.

If you get off the beaten track - Isan, northern loop, etc - you'll have a great time but could be a bit lonely; not too many tourists around those kind of places.

Kanchanaburi is always a great place for a while, close to countryside but also BKK for when you need it.

You've set an almost impossible question to answer though. Maybe BKK, Ko Samet, Pattaya, Ko Chang, BKK - comforts in BKK and Pattaya, and nice places and fellow travellers in the Ko's. Remember tho' 4 weeks will fly by.

Don't forget to post where you actually went, na khrap.