Thailand Asked to Stop Abuse

geovalin

The abuse of Cambodians employed in Thailand’s fishing industry was raised yesterday in a letter from the government’s Cambodian Human Rights Committee (CHRC) to their Thai counterparts, calling for improved monitoring of the much criticized and troubled industry. CHRC head Keo Remy asked the National Human Rights Commission of Thailand to cooperate and ensure the human rights for those employed in the industry are respected.

“I would like to acknowledge both the Cambodian and Thai government’s efforts to support our people,” he wrote. “However, I recently received accurate information about human rights violations against Cambodian people who work as fishermen in the Kingdom of Thailand, including being forced to work and to use drugs to keep them working without a break.” To prevent such abuse, he asked the Thai commission to encourage its government to register migrants working in the fishing industry and to establish an effective mechanism to monitor human rights issues in the sector.

“For the common interests of the two nations, I am ready to fully cooperate with your commission by all possible means,” the letter said. Thailand is the world’s third largest exporter of seafood, but its fishing industry has long been marred by rights violations, especially against workers who are often trafficked from neighboring Myanmar and Cambodia.

read more http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/28271/thailand-asked-to-stop-abuse/

Oh, well since you asked nicely, okay then. They don't give a sh&t and the Government (if that's what you want to call who is running things now) know exactly who the guys are that are running the fishing slave ships. I watched a documentary where they showed the guys in charge and named them by name. (I wish I had the link right now) Thailand cares about the interest of it's neighbours about as much as they care about those two poor guys in Koa Tao that they are going to allow to be executed even though everyone knows they were innocent.

it should not be a question of race or religion. the employment conditions should be fair to the employee as well as the employer. but are those foreigner employed in the fishing industry on any  contractual agreement. how then do you monitor and enforce human rights, the definition of which  can be interpreted differently.