Doctors at top Indian hospital charged in kidney harvesting racket

webfact

Doctors at Mumbai's Hiranandani charged in kidney harvesting racket

BY NITA BHALLA

NEW DELHI (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - The chief executive, medical director and three other doctors at a prestigious Indian hospital have been charged with offences related to illegal organ transplants after a kidney trafficking racket was uncovered, a police spokesman said.

Operating out of the private L.H. Hiranandani Hospital in Mumbai, the organ harvesting ring was busted by police in July following a tip-off that poor villagers were being paid to sell their kidneys to recipients via a network of agents.

Mumbai Deputy Police Commissioner Ashok Dudhe said the five doctors were arrested late on Tuesday after police had examined the findings of a government inquiry into the case.

Full story: http://in.reuters.com/article/india-trafficking-kidney-idINKCN10M09X

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2016-08-11

I dont know the particulars of this case but if informed consent is obtained, in theory, I don't see anything wrong with this practice. Relatives, friends, and strangers donate kidneys, and other "surplus" organs so why not allow a poor person to sell one? I see it as something akin to being a paid surrogate mother or egg donor. I even see some parrallels to being a sex-worker and an argument could be made that it's less damaging to the person emotionally and physically.