The Glorious 12th

Today is the start of the Grouse shooting season in the UK. I have great memories as 14 year old beater making what at the time was for me a small fortune. I suspect nowadays then Health and Safety brigade have have put a stop to school kids being used as beaters.

Grouse shooting: 12 facts about The Glorious 12th 

Like it or loathe it, the Glorious 12th is upon us - the official start of Britain's 121-day-long grouse shooting season.

The sport has been an integral part of the countryside calendar for decades, although having once been an aristocratic hobby, it's increasingly at the centre of rows over animal cruelty and class.

For all you urbanites, here's 12 facts about the so-called Glorious 12th

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/11/grouse-shooting-12-facts-about-the-glorious-12th/

Calm down, no need to start with the preemtive strike against an argument nobody has yet made. 

I'm a keen game shooter, and in my adult life one of those hated urbanites. 

But I've never seen the need to give up slipping home for a bit of shooting when I need a break from the joys and rewards of city life. 

All a rich tapestry to be enjoyed. 

I'm all for Grouse shooting and Fox hunting too, despite never having participated in either. I always preferred Rabbit, Pigeon, Mallard or the odd Pheasant, Partridge, Woodcock or Plover passing close enough for a Royal salute.

My ferrets danced like Ricky Gervais :)

Edited by evadgib
4 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Nothing "glorious" about it (apart from it being a friend's birthday!).

Depressingly, some people enjoy taking others' lives :(.

Likewise there's a culture that want nothing more than to ban something simply because they don't like other people doing it despite never doing it themselves AND thinking nothing of purchasing free range eggs, meat etc reared & slaughtered for their consumption.

Hypocrites!

On 8/15/2016 at 4:29 PM, evadgib said:

Likewise there's a culture that want nothing more than to ban something simply because they don't like other people doing it despite never doing it themselves AND thinking nothing of purchasing free range eggs, meat etc reared & slaughtered for their consumption.

Hypocrites!

You're right of course, in that most prefer to ignore the horrendous way their own food (meat) is raised and slaughtered.  Not sure what this has to do with free range eggs though?

My point was that some people enjoy killing animals (Edit - hence the 'glorious 12th'....).  Something many of us will never understand.

Edited by dick dasterdly

Let's be honest, some people enjoy killing animals.  Others extend this to enjoying killing people.

Those who enjoy killing are beyond my understanding.

But not to worry, they've always ready to transfer their love of killing animals, to those who have no interest in killing - but eat meat.