Old Women's Prison

Loaded

Yesterday I drove past the old women's prison in the heart of the old city. There were builders inside and the main front door was wide open. I parked and walked back to the entrance to see if I could get in for an independent tour. A couple of Somchais looked and smiled as I walked past them barely pausing their hammer blows to the fabric of the building. I had a 20 minute stroll around the prison walking in and out of whichever rooms interested me. I though I'd share some of my photos.

20160814_162444.jpg

20160814_162219.jpg

20160814_162330.jpg

citylife did a good tour of it just after it closed, which must be nearly 10 years ago. The ladies used to give massages that you could go to, part of their prison training and earning them some baht.

the citylife article is worth locating, for those interested.

1 hour ago, cmsally said:

If they're going to turn it into a boutique hotel they might have to upgrade the toilets.

Turning it into a big go-go complex isn't a bad idea. Like those prison themed ones in Pattaya etc. Possible staffed with some of the past prisoners. Have a couple of cells with male err, comforters, for the lady clientele.

16 hours ago, Rancid said:

Interesting photos. But where do they put the old women these days?

The Chiang Mai Women Correctional Institute is now located at 142 Chotana Road (Highway 107) 5.2km from the moat, opposite City Hall.

Apparently they are still doing massages as part of the Vocational Training Program with excellent reviews.

Blimey, that "Visiting Room", what an insight.

So it turns out eating areas in Thai schools really are like prisons.

But what's with having a sign in English for 'Vision' and 'Mission' if it then goes on to give information only in Thai? It seems even in private, amongst themselves, Thais make themselves look stupid.

Thanks for sharing these amazing pictures!

2 hours ago, Squeegee said:

Blimey, that "Visiting Room", what an insight.

So it turns out eating areas in Thai schools really are like prisons.

But what's with having a sign in English for 'Vision' and 'Mission' if it then goes on to give information only in Thai? It seems even in private, amongst themselves, Thais make themselves look stupid.

Thanks for sharing these amazing pictures!

I had a walk through there yesterday and not surprisingly they didn't allow the possibility of physical contact between inmates and visitors. That area in the photo must have been like a waiting room for visitors while  they were waiting for inmates to be brought into a much bigger room ( although you can't see it in the picture- but it's through the gate at the far end where the visiting room sign is) and there the visitors would sit on  one side of a partition with mesh and iron bars and inmates would sit on the other side on numbered stools and they would have to communicate through that.

Edited by midas

There was a time in the  old Thai male / Farrang prison that Farrang were anchored by a steel ball and chain which they carried in their  T shirts for ease of mobility. This was apparently due to a long legged Dutch man who jumped up and scaled the Thai sized wall to escape. It was more cost effective to anchor the Farrang than spend money to increase the wall. Makes sense.