Buying a used bike. What to do.....

DLang

I’m looking at getting a used bike, 30k km, it’s been almost a decade since I bought a used bike and I always enjoyed getting my hands on them and giving them a decent service. I was just going over/making my list of what I do:

Change oil and oil filter.

Order an aftermarket airfilter.

Check the spark plugs.

New front and rear brake pads. Measure the rotors.

Check valve clearances.

New fork oil and seals.

New tyres if needed (obviously)

Think I’m not forgetting anything.

It’s a bit like foreplay really, unbuttoning and taking off their clothes, before moving in to fully enjoy.

I have often check, clean, flush and refill the cooling system with a fresh cooling-liquid I know works good and has anti-corrosional properties.

Another thing is checking the chain and sprockets, a bad chain can easily zap 30% of the performance away...

To the OP,

What kind of bike are you talking about?

A fair bit of difference in buying a used Honda wave vs. a used Honda CBR1000RR.

I like your list though, if you are going to the extent of doing fork seals and the like maybe things like wheel bearings, steering head bearings etc... but really depends on what type of bike you are looking at and what maintenance has been done to that bike.

4 hours ago, Richard-BKK said:

I have often check, clean, flush and refill the cooling system with a fresh cooling-liquid I know works good and has anti-corrosional properties.

Yup.

Don't just stop at the oil, change all the fluids. Brake fluid, coolant, steering fluid, blinker fluid.

Lube and adjust the clutch and throttle cables.

Glue stick and glitter on a racing stripe.

15 minutes ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Yup.

Don't just stop at the oil, change all the fluids. Brake fluid, coolant, steering fluid, blinker fluid.

Lube and adjust the clutch and throttle cables.

Glue stick and glitter on a racing stripe.

Is it recommended to use a synthetic variety of blinker fluid here?

I have to back home but that is because it gets below 0*F quiteoften in the winter.

Thanks

Yes, updated:

Change oil and oil filter.

Change brake fluid and all other fluids.

Order an aftermarket airfilter.

Check the spark plugs.

New front and rear brake pads. Measure the rotors.

Check valve clearances.

New fork oil and seals.

New tyres if needed (obviously)

Lube and adjust clutch and throttle cables.

check, clean and adjust chain (and sprockets.)

Don't forget to get the sales/transfer form (in Thai without any English) from the Land Transport Office.  They required their own specific sales/transfer form when I registered my used bike last year.  It has to be signed by the seller twice if I remember correctly.  Make sure the LTO shows you where to have the seller sign.

You need two copies of the original owners ID.  If he is a foreigner it is two copies of the photo/ID page of his passport and two copies of his visa.  You will need copies of your passport and visa as well and a Certificate of Residence from Immigration.

Don't forget to get the blue book from the previous owner.

And I thought I was doing well just topping up my old jeloppy with oil when it is almost dry. Funny thing. it's still going strong after me getting it 8 years ago (Phantom).

One Paddy was buying a van off another over the phone...."What type of van is it"?...qsked the buyer...."A blue one"...came the reply...."Does she burn oil"...."I dunno" ...came the reply..."I suppose she would if she got some"

On 19 August 2016 at 5:31 AM, DLang said:

The list is non-bike specific, but more of a general guide for people buying a used bike.

^ You're 750cc or so short. :lol:

OPPS .Well , at least it seems i got the make correct.  ZX 10  -  good bike.

I haven't had much experience with the Kawasaki workshops here - but given the complexity of a ZX10, would't it be worth having Kawasaki go over the bike and do what you have already mentioned as well as anything else as per the normal service manual?

Be an awesome bike :D