Advice for driving exam? No idea what I have to do..

SS1

8 minutes ago, Saradoc1972 said:

Not gonna work if cannot see the alternative colour,. And those people just cannot; it's just shades of gray to them.

i can tell the difference between reds and greens to a degree , it is once they are dark reds or greens I cant be exact.

I have no problem with traffic lights from 300m away or 10 feet away. But this doesn't matter here !! :lol:

19 minutes ago, manfredtillmann said:

no, it's not. i am one of those people!

most non - colour vision impaired people have no clue what it is like to be not. the closest they'll ever come to it is to turn down the brightness of their television in a dark room to the point where they can only just make out the picture - and than try to distinguish colours.

do you remember this one: 'at night, all cats are grey' ?

i have the best colour vision in bright sunlight but i am totally useless after dark.

6 minutes ago, ronaldo0 said:

i can tell the difference between reds and greens to a degree , it is once they are dark reds or greens I cant be exact.

I have no problem with traffic lights from 300m away or 10 feet away. But this doesn't matter here !! :lol:

Absolutely agree, and I am not trying to judge on anyone.

There is a one-in-seven chance for all males to not be able to differentiate red and green, it actually seems to "jump" a generation.

My own father is colour-blind, he told me how he found out about this when getting his own driving-license for cars in the 1960ies, aged 18 or something.

I can recall from my "professional" experience (i.e being a mere civil servant) how people react when told of their own shortcomings the first time.

Like being told the first time the light on top of that traffic light was not being called "green" or "red", or in one more extreme case of a 7-y-o myopic boy there apparently were leaves on some branches.

That really happened.

Despite of all of this, nothing should keep you from being a perfectly eligible member of public traffic.

3 minutes ago, Saradoc1972 said:

Absolutely agree, and I am not trying to judge on anyone.

There is a one-in-seven chance for all males to not be able to differentiate red and green, it actually seems to "jump" a generation.

My own father is colour-blind, he told me how he found out about this when getting his own driving-license for cars in the 1960ies, aged 18 or something.

I can recall from my "professional" experience (i.e being a mere civil servant) how people react when told of their own shortcomings the first time.

Like being told the first time the light on top of that traffic light was not being called "green" or "red", or in one more extreme case of a 7-y-o myopic boy there apparently were leaves on some branches.

That really happened.

Despite of all of this, nothing should keep you from being a perfectly eligible member of public traffic.

the thai government appears to have a different opinion.

From my own recent experience in trying to get a Thai drivers license to drive a car in Buriram. I already had a  motorbike license from Bangkok.  I went to the Land Transportation office in Buriram.  I took the visual , distance and color test along with the computer sign test. I passed everything.

Now I had to take the driving test in a car . As the previous writer had mentioned I did not know what was required because I don't  speak Thai.

Round up I failed the driving test because I did not understand how far away from the curb I was suppose to park. 

1 week later I went back and passed the driving test, easy once you know what they want.

7 hours ago, Saradoc1972 said:

Nope. Maybe a translation of your original license into Thai. May be unnecessary for originally English stuff, as they are supposed to be able to read that (sigh).

I was told I needed an International Driving Permit but I didn't as they were only interested in my real UK licence.

I just took the driving test for the car also and was confused and failed the second test.  Let me explain the three tests.

1)  Drive forward through the sensors until your rear of your car passes the last sensor.  Stop, wait 3 seconds and reverse through the sensors until the front of your car passes the last sensor.  Wait until the light tells you if you passed or not.  I passed this one.

2) Parking on the left curb.  You can do this very slowly.  Get close to the curb, 25 cm I think was the rule.  Drive past the sensors and stop BEFORE the stop sign. You have one meter before the sign that you can stop and still pass and you can only stop once.  Unfortunetly, I went past the stop sign by about 4 inches, the tip of my bumper passes the sensor and I failed that test.   Remember, you have one meter before that you can stop and still pass.

3) Parallel parking, very tight space and if you are not used to driving with the steering wheel on the left it can be difficult.  Use your mirrors and don't back up to far as it is difficult to judge your rear by using the mirrors.  You can pull up and back up to 7 times to get in the correct position.  There was something in the movie about pulling up close to the box at the front, not sure if you need to be parallel with the box or what but that is what I did, I pulled into the front portion of the space and stopped.  Do most of your turning when moving forward, then back up straight and turn a little as the last minute.  I passed that one also.

Next week I go back to take the one test that I failed again.  Now I know to stop before the sign.  They gave me instructions in English, I probably still have them but they are not that good or I would have passed no problems.  If you need help reading the failed papaer, scan and send to me and my friends can help.  There should be pictures also of the failure.  I saw one person fail the second test because he didn't pull far enought forward and you could see a sensor line at 1 meter on the pictures.

I hope this helps,

Regards,

Jeff 

15 hours ago, jtrump said:

I just took the driving test for the car also and was confused and failed the second test.  Let me explain the three tests.

I hope this helps,

Regards,

Jeff 

Thanks! This was exactly what I was after. 

Hi everyone,have been following Thaivisa for couple of years now,and have finally joined.Actually got my Thai drivers lic.a week ago.Went to Udon Immigration to extend TV.and my MIL showed the house book as guarantor for me.Letter from Immigration ,cost 500 baht.Then had to get dr certificate.FIL guarantor for me,cost 50 baht( never actually seen dr).Copy of passport,copy of IDL , copy of Aussie DL.,Had color test( no prob)reflex test,didn't understand what that was about till the 3 rd try.305 baht ,downstairs for photo,10 mins later walked out with Thai drivers lic valid for 2 yrs.

1 hour ago, Bighel said:

Hi everyone,have been following Thaivisa for couple of years now,and have finally joined.Actually got my Thai drivers lic.a week ago.Went to Udon Immigration to extend TV.and my MIL showed the house book as guarantor for me.Letter from Immigration ,cost 500 baht.Then had to get dr certificate.FIL guarantor for me,cost 50 baht( never actually seen dr).Copy of passport,copy of IDL , copy of Aussie DL.,Had color test( no prob)reflex test,didn't understand what that was about till the 3 rd try.305 baht ,downstairs for photo,10 mins later walked out with Thai drivers lic valid for 2 yrs.

just another good example on how NOTHING is uniform in thailand.

happy for you, Bighel, it could have been a lot more difficult. and a lot more expensive!

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to do my Thai driving licence test early next year, with what I am reading on this thread it seems possibly to be a waste of time because I am Red/Green colour blind, mine sounds very similar to Ronaldo0.  

I have a full UK Car and Bike licence

So are we saying it will be a waste of time me trying?  

Does anyone know of ways round it?

26 minutes ago, Caps said:

I was going to do my Thai driving licence test early next year, with what I am reading on this thread it seems possibly to be a waste of time because I am Red/Green colour blind, mine sounds very similar to Ronaldo0.  

I have a full UK Car and Bike licence

So are we saying it will be a waste of time me trying?  

Does anyone know of ways round it?

I have read somewhere that they ask the colours in a certain order and it is possible to remember the order.

If this is true im not sure.

Also a pair of red tinted glasses have been said to help tell the difference between red and green. This i haven't tried either.

I suppose in some places it would be possible to buy your license without the test , but they swapped all the staff over in samui to stop this seemingly.

I have been asked once for my license once in 9 years so until i get the expensive specs to try sitting the test again then i am going to just carry on driving ( very carefully ) and show my out off date Thai and current UK license if asked for it.

6 minutes ago, ronaldo0 said:

I have read somewhere that they ask the colours in a certain order and it is possible to remember the order.

If this is true im not sure.

Also a pair of red tinted glasses have been said to help tell the difference between red and green. This i haven't tried either.

I suppose in some places it would be possible to buy your license without the test , but they swapped all the staff over in samui to stop this seemingly.

I have been asked once for my license once in 9 years so until i get the expensive specs to try sitting the test again then i am going to just carry on driving ( very carefully ) and show my out off date Thai and current UK license if asked for it.

Thanks, might have to just drive on IDL, the problem will be renewing it every year.

I find it strange that they take into consideration a colourblind test when places like Europe, USA, Aus etc don't bother (or it doesn't effect your licence) especially when their driving standard is rubbish 

OP, if you can get your girlfriend in the room with you (translator), you could have a system, one cough for red, no cough for green etc.

There is always the driving school option, some of them have a "fee" and you dont even have to set foot in the DLT.

Edited by Peterw42

18 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, if you can get your girlfriend in the room with you (translator), you could have a system, one cough for red, no cough for green etc.

There is always the driving school option, some of them have a "fee" and you dont even have to set foot in the DLT.

Alas i though off this after i had done the test. My wife was standing beside the guy who was asking what colour while another held the board. Many choices of ways.Touch nose for red , no touch then its a green. etc.:D

Guy said to us come back tomorrow !! Yeah like my eyes will fix themselves while i sleep.

I suppose I will have to wait and see what kind of test it is when I go do it!   I am intending to do it in the Chum Phae area.  Fingers crossed its easy, or at least I get a come back tomorrow then I can take my partner :thumbsup:

On August 16, 2016 at 1:05 PM, Saradoc1972 said:

Where would I find such a driving school? I mean, the theoretical test is definitely doable, just the rest of the formalities would be such a hassle, mostly having to go top that forlorn place miles north of Pattaya. Anybody's got a clue how much a taxi from north Patty to the Land Transport Authority thingy is?

I have enrolled with an apparently "not licensed" driving school in Naklua for learning to drive a motorbike (no, it's not rocket science, it's just I never rode a bike in Germany and they are driving on the wrong side of the road over here, and I did not want to get practice in Pattaya of all things), sweet chap, 10 hours, doing his best. Just they were asking 18k Baht for a license and that sounded a bit rich and very much illegal, and I needed some practice anyway.

I got my car driving license in Udon Thani at such a school.

14 hours of practical lessons, then a computer test (you have to have 45 correct out of 55) and s practical test around a conciurse.

Passed the first time. I think its a misunderstanding that such schools do not require a test. They are licensed though to provide a certificate. With this you collect your license at the DMV.

I paid around 7,000 for the course and 1,000 to get an immigration paper.

Edited by sniffdog

On August 16, 2016 at 1:02 PM, bark said:

I had the same problem with the color test. I am not color blind, but the lights were so dim it was difficult to tell

difference all the time. The Thai guy made a big deal of it. Farang see etc. There were 2-3 other people had same problem;

and we were made to stand in the ( stupid, blind line ) for 20 minutes, while everyone finished the test.

We then got the second chance. There were only the stupid , color blind people left in the room.

The Thai Tester asked for 100 baht each.

" Hey I am not stupid and color blind anymore "

TIT, but i got the 5 year lic.

Same here, the lights were so dim I could barely see them. Luckily he just waved me threw.  5 more years.... :)