How to check if i am allowed to enter thailand? (blacklist)

Long story short last year my ex gf cheated,  mistakes were made, and I had a fight with the other guy. Just a few punches each, I thought that was the end of it, but he went to the police and I was arrested and charged. 

The cheapest and safest option was to plead guilty, and thank god the judge gave me a 1 year suspended sentence. 

Now, I was expecting immigration police to immediately detain and deport me, but the judge let me leave court freely. I came back a month later to collect my passport + bail money and again nobody bothered me, apart from the clerk reminding me I had 2 months left on my work visa. Once my visa expired in December I quit my job and returned home to see family.

I'm now wondering if I'm allowed to visit thailand or not? I thought common practice was if youre found guilty, you're deported and blacklisted. I wasn't deported and in theory could have stayed and renewed my visa, so perhaps I am lucky and can visit again? How can I check this? The thai consulate ignored my email. I doubt there are many people here with convictions, but perhaps any overstayers know about the blacklist?

1 hour ago, Ulysses G. said:

Maybe trying applying for a tourist visa from your home country and see what happens? I'm guessing that the Thai Embassy would refuse you if you are blacklisted.

That is not the case.  There have been cases where people who where previously imprisoned in a Thai prison went to an embassy and got a valid visa.... and then arrived and were refused entry because of their record.   The news story at the time mentioned embassies do not have access to that information at they fingers.   I would have expected though that someone banned from entering would have been deported immediately.

Edited by bkkcanuck8

OP you are not blacklisted, if you were you would have a stamp in your passport saying that.

I was in prison here, in court pled guilty so i would not have to sit around for months waiting.

Returned 9 months later on a single entry non-imm O visa, no problems at all at the airport.

• Like 1

Thanks for the answers, I'm surprised, I googled around and it seemed common opinion that any jail sentence meant automatic blacklisting. It's nice that maybe i can come visit, UK is terrible boring. What is the worst that could happen if i did come back and was blacklisted? 

1 hour ago, the donger said:

Thanks for the answers, I'm surprised, I googled around and it seemed common opinion that any jail sentence meant automatic blacklisting. It's nice that maybe i can come visit, UK is terrible boring. What is the worst that could happen if i did come back and was blacklisted? 

You would be refused entry and returned to where you came from, but I doubt that will be the case. Normally you would have a stamp in your passport if you were blacklisted. Good luck and stay out of trouble. :)

• 1 year later...

I am presently in the same situation as thedonger, except that I am on a suspended sentence for 4 years.

I've to leave the country in few weeks in order to renew my visa. 

I've just learned that:

Suspended Sentences and Probation 
"Apparently, Suspended Sentences and Probation leads to black list in Thailand..."

How would it be possible to check it? The immigration should be able to provide this information, right?

Also, I've read heard that if you are Blacklisted, you should be deported after the judge has pronounced your sentence.

I also heard that if you are blacklisted, you should a stamp on your passport, if not, you are not blacklisted...

How could I be blacklisted for 5 years or more if I am on a probation for 4 years. It does not seem to make any sense.

I am waiting for a letter from the Court to go on Appeal (it has already been registered by the court, I am just waiting for the date).

I am about to go to KL and renew my Visa for a non-immigrant B, my work permit has just been renewed for a year and all my company documents are in order.

3 hours ago, PalThailand said:

I am presently in the same situation as thedonger, except that I am on a suspended sentence for 4 years.

I've to leave the country in few weeks in order to renew my visa. 

I've just learned that:

Suspended Sentences and Probation 
"Apparently, Suspended Sentences and Probation leads to black list in Thailand..."

How would it be possible to check it? The immigration should be able to provide this information, right?

Also, I've read heard that if you are Blacklisted, you should be deported after the judge has pronounced your sentence.

I also heard that if you are blacklisted, you should a stamp on your passport, if not, you are not blacklisted...

How could I be blacklisted for 5 years or more if I am on a probation for 4 years. It does not seem to make any sense.

I am waiting for a letter from the Court to go on Appeal (it has already been registered by the court, I am just waiting for the date).

I am about to go to KL and renew my Visa for a non-immigrant B, my work permit has just been renewed for a year and all my company documents are in order.

Being deported, blacklisted/banned isn't automatic. You will know if it happens from stamps in your passport and having it in writing.

It is possible to get a 90 day extension from immigration if involved in a court case.