No Apology from Australian Politician

geovalin

Australian state politician Hong Lim yesterday defended the controversial comments he made in a radio interview on August 4, in which he called the Cambodian government a “beast,” telling a group of Cambodian-Australians that his comments hadn’t been directed at the king, or the nation as a whole. His comments to Radio Free Asia were condemned by the Senate, National Assembly and government officials and caused a small protest outside the Australian embassy in Phnom Penh, with all demanding Mr. Lim publically apologize for what he said.

“It’s my right to talk. I talked about the issue in my country,” he told the audience in Khmer. “Chinese and Europeans who come here, they still talk about their old countries. They have the freedom to do so,” he added. He also stressed that he would one day return to Cambodia, despite a statement from the Foreign Ministry last week saying he was no longer welcome in the country.

Council of Ministers spokesman Phay Siphan, who has been vocal of his opposition to Mr. Lim’s comments, told Khmer Times that Mr. Lim’s comments did not constitute an expression of opinion, but rather an attack against the country. “Although the culture of Cambodia and Australia is different, the values and the dignity of the two nations are to respect and honor, not insult or look down on the ideals of democracy,” he said.

read more http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/28522/no-apology-from-australian-politician/