Late 19th/Early 20th Century Colonial Boutique Hotels In/Near Bangkok?

Caitrin

I'm planning a trip back to Bangkok, Thailand over this Northern Hemisphere winter break for medical reasons (which is one of the reasons I keep up with Thai Visa), and since I've already done the tourism stuff in Bangkok, I'm looking to spend the recovery time some place that is more cut off and harks back to, an admittedly most likely non-existent and completely in our minds, the late colonial era. Maybe 1890s-1920s. And yes, I know that Thailand was never a colony, but classic colonial outposts still existed for expats. I have no real desire to deal with the hustle and bustle of the city at all, but I also know I probably won't be able to travel very far outside of the city either.

All of the so-called "Heritage" Hotels seem to be too big, too modern, and frankly more expensive than what I would want to pay for what they offer. I've also looked at the Eugenia (but it seems like it has more the appropriate facade than the actual feel), the Ariyasomilla, and a couple of others. But I can't quite see what I'm looking for. I'm looking for fairly open rooms, muted colors, four poster beds with light airy material/mosquito nets, limited additional furniture (maybe a few rattan chairs and a desk), sweeping large style rotary fans, shutter windows, and large verandas/porches with a garden or rural view. A pool would be great, but isn't necessary. I may not even be able to swim in my condition. I do not want nor even require air conditioning (I grew up in a hot and humid climate during late spring to early fall, and rarely use it in most places, although I can't stand much beyond a very mild winter at all).

Even if I'm not out in the middle of nowhere, I'd like to at least pretend I am. A real vacation, disconnected, and not the "oh god, all the stuff I have to do and see!" of the first time around. If anyone can think of any lower profile places I may be missing, I'd appreciate the suggestions.