Voice TV suspends two outspoken political commentators from talk programs

webfact

Voice TV suspends two outspoken political commentators from talk programs

Voice-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Voice TV, a digital TV channel owned by Panthongtae Shinawatra, the only son of ousted and fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra, has suspended two outspoken political commentators from their talk programs for 10 days.

The station’s action came after the National Broadcasting and Telecommunication Commission (NBTC) reached a resolution at the weekend to take action on the two commentators whose criticisms were considered detrimental to national security.

NBTC deputy secretary Phakdi Manavej said the suspension of the two commentators from talk programs was effective August 15-24.

He said Nattakorn, the son of former Deputy Prime Minister Pridiyathorn Devakul, wouldn’t appear on two programs, Wake Up News and Tonight Thailand, while Atukkit Sawangsuk, better known through his nom de plume of Bai Tong Haeng, also would be suspended from any program on the channel for 10 days from August 15-24.

He said this was the action that Voice TV has proposed after it was notified of the NBTC’s resolution.

According to Khaosod English, Voice TV offered to muzzle the two commentators to avoid harsher sanctions by the NBTC, a state regulator granted special powers last month to censor the media.

Voice TV news director Prateep Kongsib twittered later that “We have to reduce the degree [of intensity] in order to survive under these special circumstances,”

But a NBTC commissioner Supinya Klangnarong said the offer was extended by Voice TV on Monday morning to avoid a 50,000 baht fine and having two programs removed from the air for one week.

She said Voice TV didn’t violate any laws but that any criticism of the National Council for Peace and Order could therefore be construed as a violation of that.

Nattakorn replied to inquiries yesterday saying he didn’t want to comment in detail.

“I would rather stay quiet on it. Trying to cooperate with [the commission] to prevent further escalation of the conflicts,” he wrote to a reporter. “But to sum it short, they are unhappy with commentary on political/divisive issues of most kinds,” according to Khaosod English.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/voice-tv-suspends-two-outspoken-political-commentators-talk-programs/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-08-16

These 2 are just about the only people worth listening to on Thai TV.

Which might account for the angst of the junta... too much good sense not in their interests. A yawning chasm between the intellects and competences of father and son; the apple fell very far from the tree in this case.

Winnie

Edited by Winniedapu

I thought the they brought in this kid, two years ago; and told him to stay out of politics.

Never understand why people who have everything; cannot just enjoy the  money and their lives.

I guess it come down to pride and ego; from his old man.

5 hours ago, Winniedapu said:

Which might account for the angst of the junta... too much good sense not in their interests. A yawning chasm between the intellects and competences of father and son; the apple fell very far from the tree in this case.

Winnie

Program change. Read a bedtime story along with singing a lullaby. 

6 hours ago, The stuttering parrot said:

Another sad day where intimidation and fear silence any rhetoric that might even come close to any public criticism in the public arena.

Doesnt suprise me but to have Khun Nattakorn working for Pantongtae is the bigger surprise. 

6 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Doesnt suprise me but to have Khun Nattakorn working for Pantongtae is the bigger surprise. 

Following in his father's  footsteps as a Shinawatra lackey is surprising to you? What isn't surprising is that Winnie is a fan of Voice of Thaksin.

Did they do a report about Jnr evading B8million in tax, and those he bribed being jailed?

6 hours ago, Winniedapu said:

Winnie

The kid has proved himself a liar, cheat and tax evader, managing to rob the Thai people of another B8 million as well as his share of the KTB billion before he was 30. I'd say straight from the same heap of crap his father came from.

like it or not , you do have a Junta in Thailand , and unless this one has had a change of underwear,  they are the same as their predecessors before them, and they have made up a similar constitution of that era , except 06 ,  one thing a Junta cannot stand is criticism , that may undermine their authority , so draconian laws are introduced to stifle any semblance of free speech and they may include freedom of movement as well, now it is up to the people .

15 minutes ago, halloween said:

Following in his father's  footsteps as a Shinawatra lackey is surprising to you? What isn't surprising is that Winnie is a fan of Voice of Thaksin.

Did they do a report about Jnr evading B8million in tax, and those he bribed being jailed?

Apparently you have no idea what Winnie and I are talking about and have to inject something totally irrelevant just to be heard. Go bitch about the tax evasion as that is not my concern or subject. 

2 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Apparently you have no idea what Winnie and I are talking about and have to inject something totally irrelevant just to be heard. Go bitch about the tax evasion as that is not my concern or subject. 

Well I'm talking about the 2 stooges from the Shinawatra propaganda machine, and their criminal employers. I'm sorry if mentioning specific value of their crimes is uncomfortable for you, but it will happen.

I guess everyone will soon be going to the gulag , " The notorious prison is used by the military government to detain suspects of crimes against national security and political crimes.

http://prachatai.org/english/node/6478?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+prachataienglish+(Prachatai+in+English)

8 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

everybody knows exactly what you and your chum poo post about on here, one thing that I am certain of is that your presence here is sinister

and I might add that almost every post your altered ego poo posts on TVF is seldom about the topic of the thread but is almost always some sort of flame at another poster which as I understand is against forum rules and I have done it twice in a row but was simply responding - which is exactly why the rule exists 

1 hour ago, smedly said:

and I might add that almost every post your altered ego poo posts on TVF is seldom about the topic of the thread but is almost always some sort of flame at another poster which as I understand is against forum rules and I have done it twice in a row but was simply responding - which is exactly why the rule exists 

What a load of old nonsense.

Winnie

1 hour ago, smedly said:

everybody knows exactly what you and your chum poo post about on here, one thing that I am certain of is that your presence here is sinister

Easy there Smedly. I am only a critic of the junta. Junta doesn't like critics and there are plenty around for so many failures and their abandon of reconciliation and now beginning to look more sinister. Sinister has taken a bad turn with the latest putsch of arrest and military courts. In fact, I see you are beginning to think like the junta and becoming more sinister in your posts. Seem you have abandon a lot of universal values.