Teaching English in Thailand/Vietnam - TEFL/TESOL Online Courses

I am planning to teach English in Thailand or Vietnam. A previous thread says TEFL/TESOL is not a requirement in Thailand, however, in Vietnam the TEFL/TESOL qualification could come handy. 

Any recommendations for a TEFL/TESOL online course please. Has to be a decent course with at least 120 hours of learning. 

Do you know if the school provides email/phone support if we have questions. How quickly do they respond.

There are so many online schools out there. Seems we are spoilt for choice.

1 hour ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

Here is one...Harvest Christian...120 hour online...http://www.hcsinternational.org/link/tesol.html/tesoltefl-enrollment-requirements  looks like about 200 usd..I saw another one that was closer to 100.  I'll post if I find it.

Thanks for the link. Please do post the other one also.

I suggest you take the cheapest and shortest online course you can find.  The certificate will not carry much weight in Thailand, but I think you will find the materials beneficial and it won't hurt to have on your CV.  You probably have forgotten what the passive voice is, or infinitives, participles, or what basic subject Verb Object sentence construction means.  I know when I went to Officer Training School, I was greatly helped by about a 20 page training document they gave me that quickly and succinctly went over 99% of all that stuff we ignored and hated in Junior High school! 

6 hours ago, remobb said:

Are you a native speaker of English? TEFL is not even looked at when we recruit.

You seem to be "advertising" with your constant "we offer better" and "we recruit" posts. Stop trolling. Just come out and say who you are and what you do. :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

Be careful. Save yourself, they got me. 

school I signed-up with lied through their teeth from the start. I asked them how long it would take for "assigned tutor" to mark the work and give feedback. The director replied "you will be given your tutors email" during the introduction of the course. Turns out "tutors email" is a generic email address shared between 5 tutors, it's named: tutors@[nameofschool].co.uk

Their website  said we can pay by Paypal or credit card. Just before enrolling I found only paypal payment was available. when I email the school and asked questions about this. There was no response. When I flagged this with the director, she said, she believed my email was an information email only. 

There were many more lies, and deceit. It seems honesty and basic decency are not necessary to start one of these schools. Their online learning platform is prone to numerous errors. My asignment didn't submit properly and my mysterous tutor didn't receive it. I had to continually chase after the director. It took her two days to figure out that none of the tutors received my assigment. In the end she put it down to a glitch in the system, and said it's never happened before. 

I spent a week doing the assignment, it took my mystery tutor 30 mins to mark it (yep!, timestamps provided with the feedback, so we can figure it out). Even then it was shoddily marked. She made wild guesses and had no idea what was actually taught on the online platform. One feedback comment asked where I've got the information from. It's obvious to anyone that I got it from their very own online learning platform.

I wasted 1 month on this course. Requested a full refund and disenrollement from the course. They've only refunded 65 GBP of the cost. 

Few tips (based on my experience):

1) Check the website fully. This website didn't have any spelling mistakes, but it lacked detail. That should ring alarm bells.
Their website did not have a FAQ section, but had a glossy brochure for download. buried deep in the brochure is a FAQ section.

2) Don't be fooled by "Our course is accredited by XXXXXXXXX". There is no internationally recognized TEFL accreditation. Although this school didnt say this, they did say "internationally recognized qualification" in the glossy borchure. They also say "The international criterion for TEFL jobs is at a TEFL Certificate of at least 120-hours.". That should set off alarm bells. 

They claim it's internationally recognized based on 1 criteria and 1 criteria only. The 120 hours of learning.  

3) Look for reviews, recommendations before enrolling - As I couldn't really get any recommendations through this post, I decided to enroll. I coudn't find any reviews about this school either. Now I'm thinking I shouldn't have enrolled without seeing either.

Check sites like: http://www.internationalteflacademy.com/blog/bid/47541/7-Key-Tips-to-Evaluating-a-TEFL-TESOL-Training-School

before enrolling.

4) Give them a call or visit school in person (not easy if the school is overseas) - I only called school after enrolling and soon found that the  receptionist was struggling. It seemed everyone calling was trying to speak to the director, but she was "in training".

5) check the refunds policy - the glossy brochure said:

" Is the course fee refundable?
No, once you have enrolled on a course then you will not be entitled to any refund. However, in
exceptional circumstances, you may be permitted to defer the course. Just talk to a member of our team."

This should set off alarm bells. The trader cannot make stuff up like this. Businesses have to abide by laws and regulations. The Consumer Contracts Regulations (use to be called distance selling regulations) gives you a 7 day cooling off period, if your service is to start 7 days after the date of purchase. This dosen't apply if the seller has misled you, in which case the day count start from the date the seller complies with the regulation. (there are some caveats to this so please check this link. e.g it dosent apply to sport events - although I doubt this allows the seller to give misleading information)

6) If the payment options advertised don't match reality don't enroll - This school said you can pay using paypal or credit card then only offered a paypal payment. Again, alarm bells should ring.

Regulation says seller has to display info about how customers can pay. 

Just PM me if you want the name of this school.

34 minutes ago, meltingpot2015 said:

Be careful. Save yourself, they got me. 

school I signed-up with lied through their teeth from the start. I asked them how long it would take for "assigned tutor" to mark the work and give feedback. The director replied "you will be given your tutors email" during the introduction of the course. Turns out "tutors email" is a generic email address shared between 5 tutors, it's named: tutors@[nameofschool].co.uk

Their website  said we can pay by Paypal or credit card. Just before enrolling I found only paypal payment was available. when I email the school and asked questions about this. There was no response. When I flagged this with the director, she said, she believed my email was an information email only. 

There were many more lies, and deceit. It seems honesty and basic decency are not necessary to start one of these schools. Their online learning platform is prone to numerous errors. My asignment didn't submit properly and my mysterious tutor didn't receive it. I had to continually chase after the director. It took her two days to figure out that none of the tutors received my assigment. In the end she put it down to a glitch in the system, and said it's never happened before. 

I spent a week doing the assignment, it took my mystery tutor 30 mins to mark it (yep!, timestamps provided with the feedback, so we can figure it out). Even then it was shoddily marked. She made wild guesses and had no idea what was actually taught on the online platform. One feedback comment asked where I've got the information from. It's obvious to anyone that I got it from their very own online learning platform.

I wasted 1 month on this course. Requested a full refund and disenrollement from the course. They've only refunded 65 GBP of the cost. 

Few tips (based on my experience):

1) Check the website fully. This website didn't have any spelling mistakes, but it lacked detail. That should ring alarm bells.
Their website did not have a FAQ section, but had a glossy brochure for download. buried deep in the brochure is a FAQ section.

2) Don't be fooled by "Our course is accredited by XXXXXXXXX". There is no internationally recognized TEFL accreditation. Although this school didnt say this, they did say "internationally recognized qualification" in the glossy borchure. They also say "The international criterion for TEFL jobs is at a TEFL Certificate of at least 120-hours.". That should set off alarm bells. 

They claim it's internationally recognized based on 1 criteria and 1 criteria only. The 120 hours of learning.  

3) Look for reviews, recommendations before enrolling - As I couldn't really get any recommendations through this post, I decided to enroll. I coudn't find any reviews about this school either. Now I'm thinking I shouldn't have enrolled without seeing either.

Check sites like: http://www.internationalteflacademy.com/blog/bid/47541/7-Key-Tips-to-Evaluating-a-TEFL-TESOL-Training-School

before enrolling.

4) Give them a call or visit school in person (not easy if the school is overseas) - I only called school after enrolling and soon found that the  receptionist was struggling. It seemed everyone calling was trying to speak to the director, but she was "in training".

5) check the refunds policy - the glossy brochure said:

This should set off alarm bells. The trader cannot make stuff up like this. Businesses have to abide by laws and regulations. The Consumer Contracts Regulations (use to be called distance selling regulations) gives you a 7 day cooling off period, if your service is to start 7 days after the date of purchase. This dosen't apply if the seller has misled you, in which case the day count start from the date the seller complies with the regulation. (there are some caveats to this so please check this link. e.g it dosent apply to sport events - although I doubt this allows the seller to give misleading information)

6) If the payment options advertised don't match reality don't enroll - This school said you can pay using paypal or credit card then only offered a paypal payment. Again, alarm bells should ring.

Regulation says seller has to display info about how customers can pay. 

Just PM me if you want the name of this school.

From post 2:

" Few reputable employers accept online TEFL courses. "

5 hours ago, Loaded said:

That's correct - none to recommend. I tried to help but you do seem a little angry. Good luck with life in Thailand.

Wait until he/she tries to drive in Bangkok or Pattaya. Anyone stupid enough to send money for an online TEFL "course" gets what they deserve, which is nothing. I put them with those who pay to volunteer in Thai schools. 

6 hours ago, Loaded said:

That's correct - none to recommend. I tried to help but you do seem a little angry. Good luck with life in Thailand.

Everyone can see your post #2. Little point in repeating yourself. No luck needed.

Edited by meltingpot2015
addition

25 minutes ago, BruceMangosteen said:

Wait until he/she tries to drive in Bangkok or Pattaya. Anyone stupid enough to send money for an online TEFL "course" gets what they deserve, which is nothing. I put them with those who pay to volunteer in Thai schools. 

never tried. never will. You should try the BTS (skytrain).

try reading the post, the school has already refunded 65 pounds. 

I believe in the laws of the land. 

13 minutes ago, meltingpot2015 said:

never tried. never will. You should try the BTS (skytrain).

try reading the post, the school has already refunded 65 pounds. 

I believe in the laws of the land. 

No refunds in Thailand is another lesson you will learn the hard way. It's all to mind boggling for me. Like has been said, if you are naive enough to think you can learn how to control and teach a room full of Thai kids online, have at it. Adults, well I don't have much experience but it's got to be boring. CELTA , TEFL, etc., all a game mate. Either you have it or you don't. Won't be taught to you. Any grammar you need you can find online or in some decent grammar books. You are there to teach people how to communicate and have conversations in English. Go get em and O O and God Bless You and your Wala cock. 

I don't think the four hours of practice teaching in a controlled environment with the 120 hour classroom course will make much of a difference, especially for the two months pay it will cost you.  Seems like the classroom courses have mostly become pay to work schemes for non nes.  No matter what your qualifications are, it will still be sink or swim when class starts.

4 hours ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

.  No matter what your qualifications are, it will still be sink or swim when class starts.

Very well said. I've seen well educated and qualified people run for the gate at lunchtime on their first day in a Thai school. There is no discipline or respect of foreigner teachers be they NES's or Filipinos. Paying to volunteer has to be an even bigger scam than TEFL/CELTA courses if there is such a thing as "bigger" in the scam world. The school pays the Thai who set up the volunteer and the volunteer pays the same Thai to set it up. Double payday for doing very little. It's a small world! God Bless.