Thai driver saves the day for Thai tourism! Gives Russians a lift....

webfact

Thai driver saves the day for Thai tourism! Gives Russians a lift....

a2.jpg

Image: Daily News

BANGKOK: -- An online post on Facebook got the Thais oohing and aah-ing  about the kindness of a Thai driver who stopped to give two young Russians a lift.

The Russians had a heavy bag and were waiting in the baking hot sun on the road from Udon to Khon Kaen, reported Daily News.

At least they had a sign in Thai indicating where they were headed - namely Khon Kaen.

But what was most problematical was that the Russians did not speak English and the Thai driver was not a fluent speaker of either English or Russian.

What to do? This was a crisis and they had to think fast to avert disaster.

They all got out their phones and went to google translate and managed to find out exactly where they were going by actually pointing to an online map with their hands. 

Other sign language followed and the day was thankfully saved as international relations received a substantial boost.

Finally, the Russian couple gratefully reached their destination safe and sound.

The online Thais who saw the smiling pictures on Pheratheap Monthawatchrakul's Facebook page cooed about the impressive kindness of the driver showing what the Thai milk of human kindness was all about.

He told Daily News who found him later that he was happy to help.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-08-18

'The online Thais who saw the smiling pictures on Pheratheap Monthawatchrakul's Facebook page cooed about the impressive kindness of the driver showing what the Thai milk of human kindness was all about'.

Jesus wept....

Pathetic, absolutely pathetic that an item such as this is regarded as news. Guess things have sunk so slow that almost anything positive is a big deal. Next up "Russian Thai friendship cemented as Russian holds door open for Thai"

I have to say in all honesty and fairness that I have been enormously impressed over the years by the extreme helpfulness extended to me by numerous ordinary Thais (not the 'hi-so' variety!) in the course of my life here. Thais can really go out of their way to help you - at least, that has been my experience, and I am grateful to them for it.

But this big-news story about how amazingly kind and generous it was of this Thai driver to pick up a couple of hitchhikers - is ridiculous! This sort of thing happens all the time, all over the planet - it's nothing extraordinary or special. As others have remarked, things must be getting dire in Thailand if an act of hitchhiking assistance needs to be exalted to the skies as proof that everything here is just fine and dandy. If only that were the case!

This is just a rubbish story.

My guess the driver got 1500 Baht for taking a drive from Udon to Khon Kaen.

Two months ago I took the bus from Sakon Nakhon to Bangkok and 30km after Udon my client called me and said the meeting was postponed for 3 days later. I said to him <snip> I am now on a bus as all flights from Sakon Nakhon were fully booked and I am on the way and just outside 40km from Udon on the way to Khon Kaen.

I told the bus driver let me out here on the spot and he was laughing at me and I told him Khun Kap, utini noh.

Going out from the bus, the first thing I am doing is lighting up a smoke and call lady in Sakon Nakhon and tell her I am coming back home. Honey a bit worried that I am now between Udon and Sakon and tells me to wait and she wants to pick me up with our car. I told her no worry I will hitchhike back and stop a pickup to bring me back to Udon.

Wow I hit a jack-pot. A samlor stopped and I paid him 300 Baht to bring me back to Udon. Mrs went ape when she called me and I told her I am on a samlor and she laughed when she picked up the phone. That old men on the samlor laughed too and asked me for a smoke and after around 1 hour plus I finally reached the bus station in Udon.

When I paid the samlor driver the money he was still smiling and I gave him another cigi before I boarded the bus back to Sakon. 

I love Isaan

10 hours ago, ScotBkk said:

Hitching a lift

Had they got a lift off a couple of shady Tuk Tuk drivers I think the outcome would've been a lot less jovial :coffee1:

Not much tuk tuk's here in Isaan but the samlor's in general are very good and not much a rip-off