Showing soles of feet

Thian

13 hours ago, bazza40 said:

Nonsense. My Thai GF does it all the time, and she has never reproached me for so doing.

The basic concept of pointing at someone with your foot is the implication you are treading on their face. Inanimate objects, with the exception of currency, which bears the face of royalty, don't qualify.

the fact is the feet thing, touching the head thing, like the term "farang" can be offensive or not dependent on the situation or context

its not as clean cut as the resident "experts" try to make out 

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Thian said:

I've seen them putting feet on chairs and aiming soles at me several times...also in good restaurants like i mentioned in this thread.

I don't eat in the Siam-area all the time like you do, i live in the subs and never hang around with farang.

This weekend i was in a resort with 15 Thai, the young lads liked to cheers drinks with me but they make VERY sure to have their glass lower than mine. 

Not all of them do that by the way, maybe some of them don't respect me as much as the ones who do? Or they just don't care at all for the higher/lower thing?

Another thing is who refills the glasses when they run out of whisky. They never ever let me refill my glass myself, seems to be against their etiquette. There's always one of the young guys who becomes the "barkeeper" and they take that job very serious.

The only contributions from you to this forum is about dining in restaurants around Sukhumvit, if that's your Thailand than good for you but outside Sukhumvit is another world, maybe you should check it out one day.

oh dear lord another farang with a perceived high  opinion of himself, "very sure to keep their glasses lower than mine" what load of tosh 

On Friday, August 19, 2016 at 3:10 PM, dick dasterdly said:

Where did underarms come into it?? 

Showing soles of feet is fine, as long as you're not deliberately showing them at someone else.

Whereas showing a falang the soles of your feet..via a kick in the head whilest on the ground Is ok!!

25 minutes ago, Witblitz said:

Poor baby how do you cope living among such heathen natives ? maybe you should get some counselling to get you over these traumatic events   

Maybe you should learn how to respect other peoples opinions or questions?  

People like you make me stay away from other farang in Thailand, no matter in what situation they might be. You act like a complete prick dude.

52 minutes ago, Thian said:

I've seen them putting feet on chairs and aiming soles at me several times...also in good restaurants like i mentioned in this thread.

I don't eat in the Siam-area all the time like you do, i live in the subs and never hang around with farang.

This weekend i was in a resort with 15 Thai, the young lads liked to cheers drinks with me but they make VERY sure to have their glass lower than mine. 

Not all of them do that by the way, maybe some of them don't respect me as much as the ones who do? Or they just don't care at all for the higher/lower thing?

Another thing is who refills the glasses when they run out of whisky. They never ever let me refill my glass myself, seems to be against their etiquette. There's always one of the young guys who becomes the "barkeeper" and they take that job very serious.

The only contributions from you to this forum is about dining in restaurants around Sukhumvit, if that's your Thailand than good for you but outside Sukhumvit is another world, maybe you should check it out one day.

Classic comment....perhaps I'll do a few reviews of my local places at the far end of Pattanakarn one of these days. :clap2:

16 minutes ago, smokie36 said:

Classic comment....perhaps I'll do a few reviews of my local places at the far end of Pattanakarn one of these days. :clap2:

I thought the remark of  "being in a resort with 15 young Thai lads" rather amusing as well 

38 minutes ago, Thian said:

Maybe you should learn how to respect other peoples opinions or questions?  

People like you make me stay away from other farang in Thailand, no matter in what situation they might be. You act like a complete prick dude.

oh dear, one suspects you stay away from other farang's because they hold their glasses higher than yours and will not pour your drink for you, thus you will not feel superior to the natives ?

1 minute ago, Witblitz said:

oh dear, one suspects you stay away from other farang's because they hold their glasses higher than yours and will not pour your drink for you, thus you will not feel superior to the natives ?

Or "More Thai than the Thais" syndrome. There are a lot of fresh diseases a poor foreigner can pick up here.

2 minutes ago, Witblitz said:

I'm waiting for the day the webmasters relieve us from your idiotic comments...you're nothing more than a TROLL dude. 

There is one Thai custom that I cannot get used to, and I've been in Thailand for many, many years, and that is the practice of ducking or bobbing their body slightly when they pass by you.I'm an older citizen and I know that it's their way of acknowledging your seniority but I wish they wouldn't do it. I certainly don't get offended and will always return the gesture with a smile, it is however IMO a subservient gesture.

On the other hand is it any different to a salute, bow or curtsey? Not really I suppose.

40 minutes ago, Toknarok said:

There is one Thai custom that I cannot get used to, and I've been in Thailand for many, many years, and that is the practice of ducking or bobbing their body slightly when they pass by you.I'm an older citizen and I know that it's their way of acknowledging your seniority but I wish they wouldn't do it. I certainly don't get offended and will always return the gesture with a smile, it is however IMO a subservient gesture.

On the other hand is it any different to a salute, bow or curtsey? Not really I suppose.

I agree, for me they also don't have to do that.

On the other hand i would appreciate it when personell in restaurants gives way to me while i walk to my table or the buffet. If they have their hands full of plates i do the same to them but if they just walk around empty handed  they should stop for a paying customer, that's how we do it in Europe anyway.

9 hours ago, Thian said:

And you better go home! Seems to me you have never heard about thai etiquette.

Is that all you say... mmm seems very limited intelligence. Soles are seen everywhere, even, as I said, at temples. It is the deliberate pointing that offends. Do this, go to a temple, sit at the rear, and see if you see if don't see soles, go to a thai house, at meal times, and I guarantee you will see soles. 

AS for your "go home" comment... childish.... VERY childish

Edited by Rorri

12 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Like leaving food out all day and then having it for supper, like chopping up a chicken on a cutting board and then using the same board yet unwashed to cut up fruit.

It's not that long ago that western countries did the same thing, and guess what, we survived, our gut culture, hope you understand biology, was much better. How many thais suffer from food poisoning, out of 65million people, not many.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2016 at 4:43 PM, Peterw42 said:

Its nothing to do with the soles of your feet, its pointing with your feet. I am always getting in trouble for it.

Bare feet on a chair etc, is not so bad, its pointing with your foot.

Another one you will notice is underwear is always hung lower than clothes on the washing line.

How about playing with your dirty feet! I see Thai's do it all the time sitting and rubbing their dirty feet and even seen food stall people playing with their dirty feet....I find that disgusting!

3 hours ago, 6thST said:

How about playing with your dirty feet! I see Thai's do it all the time sitting and rubbing their dirty feet and even seen food stall people playing with their dirty feet....I find that disgusting!

I agree, for me everything with bare feet is disgusting..they don't belong on chairs and sure not public chairs. Touching them is also not done, but i even see loads of thai squeeze pimples infront of the mirror in a shop/restaurant and serve customers after that.

Yes the underwear is always hanged low but i thought that's to hide it. Who wants to show their stuffed bra's? Or nickers with a 1960 model? 

In general i think the Thai don't give much about any rule at all, maybe pointing with feet is the only thing i've been told not to do here. I still do it though especially when a vendor didn't price his goods and i want to know how much it costs.

But it's mainly the uneducated streetpeople who do all those bad mannered things. University educated Thai have much better manners.

When i hear people sneeze i also like to see what they do with their hand after sneezing in it. Almost all of them wipe it on their pants.

On August 22, 2016 at 6:53 PM, Morakot said:

I sometimes see people sitting like this on chairs in restaurants.

I presume people who sit like this normally sit on the floor while eating.

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/young-woman-sitting-crosslegged-on-chair-portrait-picture-id200186438-002?s=170667a

I love when my wife sits like this.

I could not get into that pose in 100 years of trying.

At  the base it comes from the idea that the head is higher and therefore better than the feet, which are considered lower in status than the head is.

Therefore pointing your feet at someone is showing disrespect for them.

Common in Asia, not only Thailand.

On 18/08/2016 at 8:03 PM, Toknarok said:

Sorry can't agree with you on this. I'm tall 6'3" and have great difficulty sitting on the ground whether it be crossed legged or with my legs sideways. On numerous occasions my hosts have realised that I'm not comfortable in that position, and a chair or stool has been brought out for me to sit on. No big deal at all.

Your height has no bearing on your inability to sit comfortably on the ground.

29 minutes ago, starky said:

Your height has no bearing on your inability to sit comfortably on the ground.

It depends of the room the floor is in. In a small condo there's no space to put long legs on the floor and when they are folded the blood can't get to the feet easy.

20 hours ago, Thian said:

It depends of the room the floor is in. In a small condo there's no space to put long legs on the floor and when they are folded the blood can't get to the feet easy.

Fycks sake must be a real small condo, feel sorry for you if there's not enough room to even lie down on the floor little lone sit. Also the length of your leg would have no bearing on your blood circulation could happen to a short leg as well. It's about flexibility and what your used to, much like most falangs inability to use a squat dunny as they have <deleted> all flexibility through their calves and hammies. 

On 8/18/2016 at 4:43 PM, Peterw42 said:

Its nothing to do with the soles of your feet, its pointing with your feet. I am always getting in trouble for it.

Bare feet on a chair etc, is not so bad, its pointing with your foot.

Thais point with their feet all the time.

The problem is foreigners doing it. The same with foreigners touching the heads of children, buying Buddhist stuff, and so on. Thais do that crap all day long, and it's OK.

Most of these so called rules are for us, not them. 

1 hour ago, dcnx said:

Thais point with their feet all the time.

The problem is foreigners doing it. The same with foreigners touching the heads of children, buying Buddhist stuff, and so on. Thais do that crap all day long, and it's OK.

Most of these so called rules are for us, not them. 

I find completely the opposite is true. As a foreigner, Thai's tend to assume I don't know the rules and don't expect me to comply to them in the same way they do.