Starting to think I can offer advice....

I've obviously in between the 'been here too long' and 'haven't been here long enough' stages....

When I first came here it always made me (privately) laugh when expats said  "I'm just giving advice, I'm not like those other expats who think they know everything about living here"  :lol: Edit - plus "please tell me if I ever get like that".

Obviously I was too polite to point out the obvious!  But nowadays I find myself having the same attitude, which is v worrying :( .

Edited by dick dasterdly

13 minutes ago, JJGreen said:

If the advice is asked for, no problem

Unasked for advice...why would you?

When I first arrived here, all and sundry were giving me advice - followed by "For god's sake tell me if I ever become one of those expats that insist they know everything they know everything about living here"...

And yes, if I disagreed with what they were saying, their argument was -  "I've lived here far longer, and know what I'm talking about".....

I came to realise that they were often right, but not always - when it suited their own personal interests.  Which is why I'm wary about becoming the same.

Edited by dick dasterdly

20 minutes ago, JJGreen said:

what specific advice are u always wanting to give now.?

Thank you for making it clear I should never have posted this thread.

WAY too many posters that are determined not to recognise themselves in the description :(.

Edited by dick dasterdly

I don’t have a problem with people sharing their experiences but they seldom leave it at that.  There is a tendency to become evangelical, trying to convince others what they should be doing.  I am always suspicious of anyone who has a definitive answer for anything.  The answer to almost every Thailand question I encounter begins with, ‘it depends’. 

Go ahead and share your experiences and opinions if you wish but try to remember that what works for one person may not work for someone else.

(Note: This is coming from someone who has clearly been here way too long.)

I guess I'm overly guilty of sticking my nose where it doesn't need to be. As I have been here quite awhile.

I hate seeing people make the same stupid mistakes I made. So if I can give an opinion based on what I went through.  I do that.

Lately it seems many prefer to make mistakes.  When they do this. I don't take pleasure in it. I'm not usually there with a big fat I told you so dumbass grin on.

I personally try to give my experience to a particular problem or situation in a way that would be of help.

Countless times others here have done that for me.

However when it comes to certain instances. Factoring in happy hour.  I can't but help to try and throw some humor into it as sarcastic as it might me. 

An aquitance of mine. Been here long enough to know better recently had the brilliant idea of opening a late night Pattaya Walking Street bar. He wanted to cater to the African freelancers. A real cool hip hop place. He would be subletting the place from, in his words a real cool Nigerian. Well....I gave him my two cents and we no longer speek. His bs in many other areas became just to much to handle. 

When it comes to almost any type of advice when it comes to relationships with locals. I almost never ever get involved in anyway whatsoever. 

Edited by NickJ
None

18 hours ago, NickJ said:

I guess I'm overly guilty of sticking my nose where it doesn't need to be. As I have been here quite awhile.

I hate seeing people make the same stupid mistakes I made. So if I can give an opinion based on what I went through.  I do that.

Lately it seems many prefer to make mistakes.  When they do this. I don't take pleasure in it. I'm not usually there with a big fat I told you so dumbass grin on.

I personally try to give my experience to a particular problem or situation in a way that would be of help.

Countless times others here have done that for me.

However when it comes to certain instances. Factoring in happy hour.  I can't but help to try and throw some humor into it as sarcastic as it might me. 

An aquitance of mine. Been here long enough to know better recently had the brilliant idea of opening a late night Pattaya Walking Street bar. He wanted to cater to the African freelancers. A real cool hip hop place. He would be subletting the place from, in his words a real cool Nigerian. Well....I gave him my two cents and we no longer speek. His bs in many other areas became just to much to handle. 

When it comes to almost any type of advice when it comes to relationships with locals. I almost never ever get involved in anyway whatsoever. 

I HOPE I'm the same, and only offer advice if it is requested AND I have some knowledge.

If my advice is ignored - no problem.

But its a thin line (IMO) between giving advice and believing 'my advice is gospel' - something I've experienced way too often....  Which is why I worry that I've started offering my opinion too frequently.

Not that it matters I hope.  As long as we're aware that its v easy to fall into the trap of believing our Thailand advice is 'gospel' - hopefully its unlikely to happen.