Turkish Air, excellent service

sirineou

Sorry for the length of this post, I will try to make this long story as short as possible.

I am often quick to complain about some of the airlines we fly with, so I thought I would also offer praise where praise is due.

We fly from the US

This is the second time we fly with Turkish Air. The first time last year the service was was good and we enjoyed flying eastward with two about 9 hrs segments braking up the long 18 hr trip, so when my wife decided to come to Thailand this year (unfortunately I could not make it this year) we decided to give them an other try. We were a little apprehensive due to the recent terrorist attack at the airport at Istanbul , but we thought that it would probably be even safer now with the increased security.

Last Sunday was my wife's departure day  , She arrived at JFK  airport early, checked in with Turkish air, went through security and went to her gate to await boarding. and I left the airport to go back home.

While driving back and taking to my wife on the phone, I heard screaming in the background, then my wife started screaming that she thought there was a terrorist attack and that everyone was running, she pleaded for me to come back and get her, and then the phone went dead. 

I want to keep this story short, and I wont go through everything, but you all can imagine what went through my head.

I made it back at the airport racing ahead of the emergency respond as I knew they would close everything down when they got there, and made it there just in time . The airport was evacuated and everything was a mess.

I was able to re-establish contact with my wife ,and to my relief she was ok, but in the confusion, she had lost her expensive designer handbag, with all her paperwork, including passport.and had hurt her leg a little. When the flight was rescheduled a few hrs later she was unable to fly because she had lost her passport, but also she was in no state of mind to fly. 

As It turned out, I was a false alarm, but I was grateful  she was Ok,and  I did not care about her loss or flight and we went home.

Now to Turkish air.

Next day we went back to the airport to recover her luggage, and see if we could find her handbag, documents and passport. We were told that TSA had collected all items lost in the confusion, and directed to a place where they were kept, we went through the pile of things, found her jacket, but no bag and documents. TSA was not very helpful , we were told that that was all there was, and to call the airport police and file a report.

So we went back to the Turkish air kiosk, They told as that her luggage had got in the plane and was on its way to BKK , and asked my wife if she wanted to get to an other flight and her luggage would wait for her in BKK.

My wife was still upset over the whole thing and said she no longer wanted to go. They said they understood, they would get her luggage back to her promptly, and that they would hold her ticket for one month if she changed her mind. All the Turkish employees were caring, very professional, and all they wanted to do was help.

When a very nice Turkish girl heard about my wife's  handbag and passport and about TSA's response, she said that it was not true and that there was a whole bunch of lost  item inside behind security,  she came out from behind her counter, went inside transit, and 15 min later came back with my wife's hand bag and passport.

My wife was very happy!!

A day later my wife's luggage was delivered to our home. and a couple of days later when my wife had calmed down, we called Turkish air. They reschedule her flight at no charge to as, and later today my fife is to fly to BKK.

This comes  from a Greek American!  5 stars to Turkish air, what a bunch of real nice people, they did not have to do any of the things they did, non of what happen was their fault.:clap2:

Edited by sirineou
typo

1 hour ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

Now if you guys could just settle the Cypress issue we'd be getting somewhere  :lol:

Cypress issue already settled. We will not climb theirs if they don't climb ours. 

Not very good climbing trees anyway:P 

4 hours ago, sirineou said:

Cypress issue already settled. We will not climb theirs if they don't climb ours. 

Not very good climbing trees anyway:P 

But makes very good roof beams, and smells wonderful when you cut it. :) Also very pretty in the landscape!

Never flown with Turkish. Last time I went to Istanbul, I went with Aegean. Only a short flight from Athens, anyway. But I have read good reports about Turkish Airlines.