Bangkok Rock Festival 2007 Cancelled Due To Alcohol Ban

george

hmm. let's advertise and tax Yaa Baa, let the drug dealers sponsor them! That is good for the revenue department, good for the advertisment industry and good for the drugs dealer. not so good for the young people. Or let's advertise the flash trade. It is all very simple tip of the iceberg or not, people should not always go for the money. It was a good proposal from the Thaksin government which is rightly pursued by the junta.

The application of this new law is entirely appropriate. The solution is simple. They don't have to cancel the event, just trash the calendars or find a different sponsor.

These 'bans' have been in effect in the USA for decades and somehow we still have music festivals, tennis matches and the wide variety of other activities that were formerly supported by liquor, wine and beer promotions.

Get used to it, if you're going to make laws that have already been successfully tested in other countries, then you have to obey them.

Pjallittle please remove your head from your A--e and smell the Coffee!!!!

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A very good news indeed !

Let's wait a few more month, to have other cancelations. And then, maybe, the government will start to understand that they should review their ridiculous face-based decision...

Sponsorship is only the tip of the iceberg... Actually, it's a big economic blow to the advertising and printing industries. That's the main issue.

Less activities, less revenues, less VAT, less taxes, etc.

Face has a price. They will pay it. At no discount.

I strongly suspect you derive your income from the advertising, printing or alcohol related industries. Remember, alcohol is a drug of addiction, just like tobacco, ya baa, heroin and the like.

"But ohh" I hear you cry, "what about the economic factors...and ###### the few and their families that can't handle their drugs".

Do you think Thailand should legalise gambling? roll back the anti smoking campain? go easy on drug dealers?

I believe these laws are long over due, people that sell and promote drugs IN ANY FORM should not be suported.

Prohibition doesn't work but massive drug promotion campaigns should be stoped immediatly.

So... let me get this straight. You want to give your money to the alcohol companies who then decide where to put it to twist your mind?

When alcohol advertising is banned, producers' costs to keep/increase the market share are going down. Thus the prices of alcohol should go down. It means savings for the consumer, who can then spend this money on what they like - for example tickets to rock concerts.

I don't care about advertising as long as the product is available.

now that's the stupidest post i've read here yet, advertising has nothing to do with drink driving, perhaps a sponsored campain and some advertising from the drink companies about drinking and driving might be the way to go, I don't think any manufacturing ccompany in the world would support driving while drunk, seperate issues, you think everyone will stop drinking because there are no adds......are you for real.

So you believe that alcohol promotion doesn't work? that the billions spent on alcohol promotions globally has no effect on how much a particular product is consumed?

My friend...are YOU for real?

Oh no. no, no, no, no no!

america got f<iretr>ucked up by this kind of stuff.

to many old women with dry vaginas making policy about things they dont' really know about. good in a few cases on low levels, but overwhelmingly bad economically.

What... you mean like going to war? I thought the redneck, shoot-your-mate-in-the face, I-don't-do-diplomacy, I'm-the-decider men made those decisions. But now we're off topic.

I have never seen anyone going to Washington DC to protest to start a war but there have been many old women with dry vaginas protesting and/or signing petitions against smoking and drinking. Along with many other so called moral issues.

If its so important to save just 1 life on the Thai roads why not ban motor cars and bike, what a wally.

When the fag companies were banned out of sports in the UK the negative effects to the sporting events and related industries (advertising, printing etc) were short lived.

The cost to Thailand if a few advertising companies go under and they miss out on a few rock concerts would be a small price to pay IF the ban saves even one life. Around 14,000 people die on Thai roads annually. 80%+ of these deaths are drink related. And that represents only one of the negative effects alcohol has on society.

Less drinking, less puking, less hangovers, less hospital visits, lower insurance, safer roads etc.

Let's wait a few more month, to have other cancelations. And then, maybe, the government will start to understand that they should review their ridiculous face-based decision...

Sponsorship is only the tip of the iceberg... Actually, it's a big economic blow to the advertising and printing industries. That's the main issue.

Personally, I think the biggest draw to start drinking alchohol is peer pressure and I don't necessarily see a ban on advertising having an effect there.

I used to be a real heavy drinker, a p1ss artiste extraordinaire in fact, but I've changed now and got the demon under control. I absolutely do not, no matter what pressure I am under, drink more than four pints for breakfast. Then I move on to brunch. :o:D:D

Plus, the advertisements make drink look socially positive. Something that I don't believe it is! Poverty, poor education, lack of work, frustration with life are all problems that are exacerbated by alcoholism. And selling of sex would be harder for many were it not for alcohol.

good points , tobacco and alcohol promotion work subliminally.

i believe the ban to be correct.

i also believe that alcohol sales should not be restricted by hours.

as far as the rock festival goes , the organisers have known for a few months about this ban and should have worked harder to find other sponsors. the cancellation because of the ban sounds like an excuse.

I think you misunderstand how the promotion of a rock concert works. I used to promote concerts in a small town i the USA. It works like this. I approached every beer and soda pop distributor in our town. The beer company that gave me the best deal got to be the only company to provide the beer for the event. The best deal was a combination of money, free advertising, free cups, free tables, free chairs, providing a refrigerated truck to keep the kegs cold, having kegs on hand without my having to pay for them in advance, workers to serve the beer and the best part was only paying for whatever beer got sold. The same with the soda pop company. Either Pepsi or Coke not both.

Not only did the beverage company get advertising from sponsoring the event they also got their money back in sales at the event. How much of that can be replaced by another sponsor ? In other words what other sponsor will benefit to the same degree as the beer companies does therefor would be willing to put up as much money ?

I strongly suspect you derive your income from the advertising, printing or alcohol related industries. Remember, alcohol is a drug of addiction, just like tobacco, ya baa, heroin and the like.

"But ohh" I hear you cry, "what about the economic factors...and ###### the few and their families that can't handle their drugs".

Do you think Thailand should legalise gambling? roll back the anti smoking campain? go easy on drug dealers?

I believe these laws are long over due, people that sell and promote drugs IN ANY FORM should not be suported.

Prohibition doesn't work but massive drug promotion campaigns should be stoped immediatly.

God save us from po-faced health fascists like you more like.... Hope you don't fall off your high horse anyway.

Yes, Thailand should legalise gambling. Its rampant enough as it is, and the two-faced hypocrisy about any "social evils" present here serve only to line the pockets of the vested interest crooks at the top of the ladder. Anyone who lives here and ventures out of their ivory tower now and again might understand this...

Any "new law" here is always some knee-jerk authoritarian OTT reaction to some preceived slight or criticism from overseas. Its usually un-enforceable or totally self-defeating.

I personally have never seen an ad for beer and then got up to go get one. I have never been driving down the road and saw a billboard for a beer that made me stop and buy one at the time. I agree that an ad might encourage me to try that brand if I have never tried it before but if I don't like it I won't drink it. I hate chang beer and will not drink it even when it is offered for free. No amount of advertising will change that. I drink when I want. The only things that encourages me to drink are when my wife starts complaining or if friends come over with beer. So based on my experience they should make a law that ones wife can not complain or nag. That will decrease the amount of alcholism in any country.

I agree that a ban on alcohol advertising will have an overall negative financial impact, but furthermore, this isn't the solution to reducing alcohol-related problems like underage drinking and general abuse. Trying to hide the presence of things that are commonly found all around us is an immature approach -- sort of like a child saying, "If I close my eyes, you can't see me." Look how guns and cigarettes are blurred on Thai TV shows and how that action only draws more attention to them -- provokes more thought about them. Educating people about the dangers of alcohol abuse and teen drinking is the best approach. Designing advertising campaigns that put the message across that getting pissed too often, driving while intoxicated, and starting to drink at too early an age is not cool or socially acceptable will have a lot more impact than trying to hide what we all know exists.

There will be several like the 90/180 tourist visa rule. Not to be off topic but cracks are forming in the schools with schools giving serious thought to having teachers for only half a semester.

now that's the stupidest post i've read here yet, advertising has nothing to do with drink driving, perhaps a sponsored campain and some advertising from the drink companies about drinking and driving might be the way to go, I don't think any manufacturing ccompany in the world would support driving while drunk, seperate issues, you think everyone will stop drinking because there are no adds......are you for real.

So you believe that alcohol promotion doesn't work? that the billions spent on alcohol promotions globally has no effect on how much a particular product is consumed?

My friend...are YOU for real?

Are you for real? Many posters have already stated that advertising does not increase over all sales and that is not what the companies are trying to do. They are trying to capture market share. Let me explain it to you in more simple terms. The market is already there ! People are buying alcohol ! The advertising tries to get people to buy THAT BRAND and NOT another.

There has never been advertising for any type of marijuana but people still smoke it.

When the fag companies were banned out of sports in the UK the negative effects to the sporting events and related industries (advertising, printing etc) were short lived.

The cost to Thailand if a few advertising companies go under and they miss out on a few rock concerts would be a small price to pay IF the ban saves even one life. Around 14,000 people die on Thai roads annually. 80%+ of these deaths are drink related. And that represents only one of the negative effects alcohol has on society.

Less drinking, less puking, less hangovers, less hospital visits, lower insurance, safer roads etc.

80% of road deaths alcohol related - yes, but isn't there a drink-drive law in place? Oh, sorry it's not enforced is it. Ever heard of responsible drinking?

I think that putting these articles together has misled a few people. The cancellation or hopefully postponement of the Rock Festival which this year featured amongst others Ian Brown and Oasis affects hotel revenues, takes jobs away from production and venue staff, and removes an opportunity for Thai youngsters to see some of the best known European and British bands live, which combined with UBC cutting MTV and VH1 must surely have a negative impact on the Kingdom. This year there were also probably 35% Farangs there, some having come from Hong Kong and KL as well as those on holiday and local Expats, so it it not good for TAT either. I really hope things will change fast, but apart from Mobile Phone companies, Banks and major soft drinks companies I cannot see any big sponsors out there. But then Singha sell water as well! The Leo calendar issue has nothing to do with the Rock festival, but I am going to blank out the logo on mine!

hmm. let's advertise and tax Yaa Baa, let the drug dealers sponsor them! That is good for the revenue department, good for the advertisment industry and good for the drugs dealer. not so good for the young people. Or let's advertise the flash trade. It is all very simple tip of the iceberg or not, people should not always go for the money. It was a good proposal from the Thaksin government which is rightly pursued by the junta.

The application of this new law is entirely appropriate. The solution is simple. They don't have to cancel the event, just trash the calendars or find a different sponsor.

These 'bans' have been in effect in the USA for decades and somehow we still have music festivals, tennis matches and the wide variety of other activities that were formerly supported by liquor, wine and beer promotions.

Get used to it, if you're going to make laws that have already been successfully tested in other countries, then you have to obey them.

Maybe we're not talking about the same things. I thought this was about banning alcohol advertisements. Like the ones you see every Sunday on TV during the football games. Or seeing the Bud Light Girls at the x-games. Or seeing the large beer booths all over the place at the huge Southern California country and rock festivals. Or all the beer that is sold at all the professional sporting events such as football, baseball, basketball, and hockey across the USA.

The second most important liquid in the USA after gas is alcohol. In fact, it should be called the United States of Alcohol.

These bans are not in effect in the USA. Keep dreaming.

It would be a heck of a shame if next years concert is scrapped, over something so pathetic as alcohol advertising. This year's 2 day concert was excellent, and it was great to see top bands and talent in the capital again. This year's show was superbly organised and a real credit to Thailand.

Maybe next year we can have "likay" and traditional Thai puppet shows? :o

It would be a heck of a shame if next years concert is scrapped, over something so pathetic as alcohol advertising. This year's 2 day concert was excellent, and it was great to see top bands and talent in the capital again. This year's show was superbly organised and a real credit to Thailand.

Maybe next year we can have "likay" and traditional Thai puppet shows? :o

It is a good bet that it will be postponed. Problem was that alcohol sponsorship as at any festival is a huge part of revenues, and big companies set their budgets way up front for these things. Banning of alcohol adverts announced in October-ish for an event in early February just created a massive lead time problem.

If Islamic values tend towards trying to protect life ahead of corporations wealth, then go Islam!

I welcome the kingdoms new leadership in moving us more closer to the values of Islam.

I mentioned it before and if you look at the big picture Thailand is moving towards Islamic rule. Although some think it is just fantasy thinking. Which I hope it is!

But I must say pal78 where do Islamic values protect life? A girl was just gang raped in an Islamic country and she received a harder sentence for being raped than the people who rapped her. Islam is a racist religion that does not protect life, it is a violent religion meant to reward men for what ever the men can get away with.

This is so dumb - as it is in any other country that implements such things - advertising does not in my view make people drink, smoke or do anything else - advertising is about persuading people to choose one brand instead of another! If food advertising was banned would it stop people from eating!!!

Alcohol, cigarette and drug abuse and even the selliing of sex are all symptoms of real problems like poverty, poor education, lack of work, boredom and frustration with life in general - until these issues are tackled alcohol and other abuses will be rife even if people end up distilling it themeselves in the backyards. No one has ever succeeded in dealing with this kind of problem with bans.

It is of course face saving and a government trying to show it is doing something - the only real answer ot this is to ensure the wealth of the country is distributed more fairly to give hope to young people - but that of course means taking from the rich.........and who are the politicians?

To be fair this isnt just a Thai problem - I cant think of one democratic government which has been brave enough to tackle the real issues

You hit the nail on the head, mate

Take away advertising from the producers and they will looking for other weays to compete. result can likely be price competition.... result higher consumption. Especially in a market which is dominated by low cost alcohol and less by the 'big advertising brands'.

Also note that advertising without the name or logo is still allowed. For example Carlsbergs slogan "Probably the best beer in the World" on a green background will still be allowed.....

I personally have never seen an ad for beer and then got up to go get one. I have never been driving down the road and saw a billboard for a beer that made me stop and buy one at the time. I agree that an ad might encourage me to try that brand if I have never tried it before but if I don't like it I won't drink it. I hate chang beer and will not drink it even when it is offered for free. No amount of advertising will change that. I drink when I want. The only things that encourages me to drink are when my wife starts complaining or if friends come over with beer. So based on my experience they should make a law that ones wife can not complain or nag. That will decrease the amount of alcholism in any country.

You wouldn't even consider it? I hate Chang too, but.................. :o OK I admit it I'm a cheap charlie.

Thailand turns more and more into America ... but then, in America at least you may still drink.

How absurd is this quote? Have you ever been to America? If you have, you would realise that it is quite the opposite. Go to a Concert, Sporting Event, or any type of Festival, and you are bombarded with Alcohol sponsorship and beer sales. Also, watch a half hour of American television anytime after 5pm and you will see at least one Beer Commercial. Anyway, I love Thailand, but things are so backwards there in a lot of senses. I mean, they turn a blind eye to what is going on in places like Pattaya, Nana Plaza, Pat Pong, Soi Cowboy, yet they are banning alcohol advertisements which in turn will cause the cancelation of many good spirited festivals.

Concerts may be good spirited, alcohol is not a good spirit. I'm sure even without alcohol advertisements there will still remain enough alcoholics to keep the industry alive.

What a shame about the festival.

:o

As Wolfman said it's difficult finding the sponsers and the record industry here......well Carabou after all those years had to invest in branding an energy drink as the artists make little from record sales.....

Thailand is not going Islamic, but there seems to be a resurgence in traditional (buddhist influenced) values.

We have a teenager living with us who pays her way through college by being part of a singing troupe (Mor Lom style) now her Dad doesn't like it and wants her to stop since the Queen said all that about "coyote girls".

To many Thais (and that includes youngsters) "good" girls and boys don't smoke or drink......

To the "this is (or is not) America" posters......the UK press has quite a bit about banning alcopops and the like, underage binge drinking, yobbism and so on.......

There does seem to be a growing feeling of maliase throughout world society and it may simply be that there is no moral ground as anything goes as long as it turns a profit for someone somewhere......

Well now we have climate change, corrupt governments everywhere, militant islam, declining health, obesity, etc etc etc......

And all that is something there seems to be no escape from anywhere in the "globalised" world

You could add as a world trend "immigration problems" - curtailling of freedom of movement.....

Something has to give......and it will be sooner rather than later.

And Mao Kao I bet the girlie bars go next here my friend.......

We do live in interesting times :D

Personally I think it is not a bad thing to ban advertising of Alcohol and Cigarettes (yes I am a drinker so no axes to grind). Whereas I hate prohibition for adults (like the no alcohol sales at certain times of day that is crass ignorant and achieves nothing), I do think it eminently sensible to not push these two health damaging activities proverbially down the throats of the young or anyone else for that matter. I find it so so sad and very silly that you need alcohol and cigarette advertising to run these type of events (including my favourite sport of Motor Racing). What is wrong with big electronic companies like Samsung, Sony, LG etc advertising and sponsoring or soft drinks like Coke, Pepsi etc or TV stations, or Car/Motorbike makers/distributors or even PC associated manufacturers, fashion clothes like Levi/Wrangler jeans, Insurance companies like Blue Cross etc etc ?? Okay some of them maybe not appropriate to the younger folk but it is surely not good pushing booze and smokes at them.

Sorry but I think this advertising ban is a good thing but do not want to see Rock Festivals taken away form the young fans as I am all for everyone having a good time .

The end of rock concerts?

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok Rock Festival 2007 - which was initially scheduled for February 10 and 11 - will be cancelled mainly due to the government's ban on alcohol advertising.

The ban with limited exceptions will take effect on December 3.

Riverman Asia Company yesterday announced the cancellation of the rock festival, saying that it would be hard to find sponsors for this big event with the virtual ban on alcohol advertising.

"Such a big event is going to cost more than Bt80 million because international rock stars will be part of this festival," the company said.

--The Nation 2006-11-22

Alcohol advertsing ban:

Pin-up calendar could be a date with trouble

BANGKOK: -- Leo Beer's pinup calendar promoted through the media as a New Year's gift for customers could breach the alcohol-advertising ban, the Public Health Ministry said yesterday.

"I'm not saying the brewer can't give away the calendar, but they aren't allowed by law to advertise their products in such a medium," said Dr Narong Sahamethapat, a deputy director-general of the Disease Control Department.

With the local beer's brand name running alongside photos of three sexy nud_e models, the calendar could be against the law taking effect on December 3 which prohibits all forms of alcohol advertising, with limited exceptions such as live telecasts of foreign sports events and foreign magazines, he said.

If the company wants to continue distributing its calendar, it must not carry the brand name, pictures of the alcoholic beverage and any other materials aimed at advertising, said Narong, who also belongs to the national committee on alcohol consumption control.

And even those who were lucky to get the calendar before December 3 need to be careful about how they show it.

"If you hang it on your bedroom wall, that's totally fine," he said. "But if you put it where it can be seen by public eyes, such as your grocery store, that could cause trouble."

The Food and Drug Administration, which had pushed the alcohol ban to become law, will today discuss what to do with the calendar issue, secretary-general Sirwat Thiptharadol said.

It was also speeding up drafting the guidelines for the booze ban before it comes into effect, he said.

On Monday, the Public Health Ministry explained the law to the Council of State in response to a complaint lodged through the prime minister.

An alcoholic beverage company had questioned the ban and the Council of State - the government's legal advisory arm - was expected to rule today on it.

The directive had passed a panel of legal experts before it was proposed and the ministry was definitely sure it was legitimate, Narong said.

Some novel advertising tactics aimed at slipping through loopholes in the law were increasingly seen in commercials for alcoholic drinks these days, he said.

"This confirms that advertising does have an impact on alcohol sales - if it didn't, why bother?"

-- The Nation 2006-11-23

Have been a lurker here for many years and feel compelled to throw in my 2 cents on this subject. This upcoming ban on alcohol advertising was brought about by the Ministry of Heath's desire to reduce the number of alcohol related road fatalities. Particularly those people driving motorbikes. Maybe I'm thinking too logically, but wouldn't enforcing a nationwide helmet law that already exists instantly reduce the number of motorbike deaths? On the rare occasions when I'm in BKK, I do notice more bikers wearing helmets, but here in Chiang Mai I would conservatively guess that less than 40% of people on motorbikes are wearing helmets, and I include policemen as well. When we make our annual trek to Roi Et, that number drops to 15 - 20%.

I think banning alcohol sales at gas stations, especially those on highways, is a good idea. Yet it seems that nothing is being done to restrict the number of roadside stands that sell lao khao ...... day or night. I can't buy a bottle of wine or a case of warm beer at Lotus between 3 and 5 PM, but I can drive around the corner on my motorbike (with no helmet) and drink rice whiskey 'til I'm blind.

I do expect to see a price war on beer once the ban takes effect. If anything will encourage more alcohol consumption it's cheaper alcohol. Why not allow the companies to advertise ..... responsibly (ie: no happy social drinking, or showing only helmet wearing motorcyclists), and at the same time force them to match their ad money - baht for baht - and set up a special fund to help out the education system in Thailand? Yeah, I know, I'm dreaming. Oh well, just a thought.