Locals cry foul as farang climbs on sacred Samui landmark

webfact

The ones getting the grief over this should be the local authority for letting the sign fall into disrepair. How is anyone supposed to know that a rock shaped like a knob is not to be climbed? I didn't. Never heard of the festering thing.

Over to you Mr Thai-bashing policeman.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, sahibji said:

thai3

it is the belief that is important. if these rocks are considered sacred, they are and no one should defy that.

If the rock is so important and sacred how come the warning sign was left to fall into disrepair! No excuse now a new sign has been erected, oops put up, oops, constructed, ;)

Hhhhmmm, "Farang" climbs on unmarked sacred rock - public outrage...
Thais bully, scam, beat up, run over, kick unconscious on camera, shoot, stab, and blow up  "Farangs"... Nobody cares

What's wrong with this picture??? :blink:

Wouldn't it have been great if the tip would have fallen off? :lol: They then could have moved it to the waterfall and try to insert it into that stupid vagina thing... Repeat that every year and make it a festival, to "boost" tourism and "lure" tourists into the country. Not that I want to give those ultra busy TAT guys some ideas...

1 hour ago, fasteddie said:

Oh shut up, sacred my eye, it's a rock on the beach, I used to go to Samui in the 80's & early 90's and there was no no climbing sign then.

Correct. It was treated by all and sundry as a bloody novelty. A funny natural rock formation. 

"The rocks have a shrine near them and are considered a sacred place for people on Samui."

"She said that it was an important and sacred area for the locals."

Nonsense.

It's just another cheesy tourist trap lined with local hucksters.
Right down to, and on, the beach. :wai2: :wai: :giggle:

8 minutes ago, coppywriter said:

Stonehenge is just rock but you can't climb that either.

Why not? I would assume there are warning signs about not doing it. Stonehenge is also man made out of rocks, they did not just appear there naturally.

How can you distinguish between a rock you are allowed to climb and rock you are not?

I would also like to know in what way a penis shaped rock is sacred to(presumably) buddhism, is it buddha's old fella?

A 'sacred' rock in the shape of a penis with a crevasse like a vagina that locals worship.

Reality check - why associate sex organs with sacred anything and claim it's all very serious and take offense?

Didn't think the Buddha was all about sex organs? Though judging by some of his current followers, monks and non monks, it might be all and only about sex organs ... plus a bit of cash.

I have time and time again rested my weary soul (dick included) on the beautiful shores of Thailand.  Although both signs of my soul and my dick have fallen into disrepair that gives NO ONE! the right to climb either.  

It's a rock.  I've seen Thai worship all sorts of odd things (rocks, telephone poles, trees, shapes in a brick wall, etc) including putting 'shines' up.  One person's 'sacred rock' is another persons climbing adventure for the day.  Much ado about nothing, imho.  :coffee1:   And for remember not to fish in any of the local lakes either farang.  Someone's 'sacred Naga' lives in every mud puddle in Thailand and you'll disturb the 'sacred juju' and upset the balance of the animistic world.  :ermm:

3 hours ago, gchurch259 said:

This place is over endowed with Prurient Interest, and Dumb enough this they are sacred !!

I know it may be wrong to make like of peoples customs, but some are ill guided.

Many are - some that come to  ind are - Easter, Xmas prayers before parliament try desecrating a sculpture in the Vatican and see what happens. 

1 hour ago, ljd1308 said:

Why not? I would assume there are warning signs about not doing it. Stonehenge is also man made out of rocks, they did not just appear there naturally.

How can you distinguish between a rock you are allowed to climb and rock you are not?

I would also like to know in what way a penis shaped rock is sacred to(presumably) buddhism, is it buddha's old fella?

Pathetic and insulting post nothing to do with Buddha - Like many societies Thailand has a long association with fertility cults as do many societies. Phallic images are integral to this belief and should be respected by visitors to the country.

Just now, mydee said:

Pathetic and insulting post nothing to do with Buddha - Like many societies Thailand has a long association with fertility cults as do many societies. Phallic images are integral to this belief and should be respected by visitors to the country.

Not sure how it is pathetic and insulting, care to explain? 

I agree, it should be respected if it is sacred, but the issue is how are all tourists supposed to know this without being told? The sign warning people not to climb(no mention of the sign stating it was part of a fertility cult) was in disrepair.

Given your wealth of knowledge though, care to share which fertility cult this particular rock belongs to in Thailand? How does it tie in to said fertility cult? And how does it disrespect this specific fertility cult? I am eager to learn from you.

2 hours ago, forrwhat said:

You can't climb around on Stonehenge, Mt Rushmore, the Wailing wall, and other sacred monuments.  If someone did their would be outrage in each country of origin it's no different here. Why should it be?

Back in the 70's it was possible to climb on Stonehenge. This was before the National Trust got involved and fenced it off. There were minor road changes too once it was decided that it was to become a tourist trap.

5 hours ago, thai3 said:

It's just a rock, how stupid can the outraged get?  I thought it was going to be a Buddha image or the like 

The Ganges is important to Hindus.....but just a river to you. How stupid can the outraged get?

The Sea of Galilee is important to Christians....but just a lake to you.How stupid can the outraged get?

Your family is important to you...but not so much to others. How stupid can the outraged get?

Everything is relative (no pun intended to your family). Knowledge and Respect cost little.

.......Jirasak Wannabuan of the local authority went with other officials to the area on Monday and found that a sign forbidding climbing had fallen into disrepair........

.......so the foreigner is to blame again.....???

.......why do they open their borders if all they do is hate us....and worse......???

.......oh....we know the answer to that...... 

....now a gang of thugs can go bash in the faces of some foreigners again......

Ridiculous. Used to live on Samui/Lamai 25 years ago and climbed the rocks there all the time, we fished from the rocks with locals and went snorkeling and jumping into the (back then still) clean waters. Well, the entire world is getting more PC and ridiculous by the day.  MS>

Archived