Sending a Small Package to the USA

Isan Farang

Previously I was using EMS to send a small package to the USA. I went to the post office last week and the costs now are quite high.

The post office also offer Registered Mail that takes longer but the cost is way less than the EMS deal. A tracking number is provided with the registered method but just checking if any one here has used this method to send to the states and can confirm the tracking shows all the way same as the EMS.

6 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

Ok thanks, that's the system I use with EMS but I just wanted to confirm it works when sending by registered to the USA.

I assume the first two letters of the 13 digit number is RR, as the EMS begins with EE.

I just found out that when sending to OZ by registered it only shows leaving Bangkok and then there is no tracking info provided after departure.

21 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

Just sent a product back yesterday to a vendor in socal.....12# package .....

Cost by air 4900b/ 2 weeks - cost by ship 1390b/ 4+ weeks.....

The airmail cost really suprised me.....

I sent a watch last week by EMS to Michigan, the box it came in was quite bulky. The package weight was 1.8 kg and was charged B2.320, takes about 1 week.

7 hours ago, Isan Farang said:

Ok thanks, that's the system I use with EMS but I just wanted to confirm it works when sending by registered to the USA.

I assume the first two letters of the 13 digit number is RR, as the EMS begins with EE.

I just found out that when sending to OZ by registered it only shows leaving Bangkok and then there is no tracking info provided after departure.

Many people have complained about this but its the OZ postal service that is at fault.

11 hours ago, Isan Farang said:

Are you able to track the package after it leaves Thailand ?

Ok, below is a  blow-by-blow account sending packages to USA - repeat USA.

1) send your package by registered mail from a thai post office. On the receipt they give you there is your tracking number, also at the bottom of the slip, there is thai post URL.

2) while your package is still on thai soil ie. on its way to be loaded on a plane leaving Thailand, you can track it with the tracking number (from 1)) on the thai post website (also from 1)).

3) give or take a day or two, or three,  later, when your package finally lands on us soil, ie once it is unloaded from the plane, you can track it again using the same tracking number (from 1)) this time on us postal website.

In other words, thanks to some agreement between thai and us systems, the tracking number is trackable on both websites. Whereas, according to other posts on this thread, this is not the case between thai and aussie systems (being a us citizen does have its privileges  - I know i'll catch some flack for saying this :bah:).