Direct Jakarta Flights Mooted

geovalin

Direct flights between Phnom Penh and Indonesia’s capital Jakarta may soon be a reality, if a current feasibility study by the country’s national airline, Garuda Indonesia, suggests it is viable. While a memorandum of understanding (MoU) between the two countries concerning direct flights has already been signed, Indonesian Ambassador Pitono Purnomo said that he hoped direct flights would prove financially feasible.

“The flight time between Phnom Penh to Jakarta is only two and a half hours. It’s not far,” said Mr. Purnomo. “Without direct flights we have to go through Singapore and Kuala Lumpur, and the whole journey takes five to six hours with transit time. So, I am trying to have our airlines fly to Cambodia direct,” he said last week.

“Last month I met with the CEO of Garuda Indonesia and the CEO told me that they are currently considering it, and are looking into flying here,” Mr. Purnomo said, noting that the MoU also allows Cambodian airlines to fly directly to Jakarta. “For the time being, daily flights to Cambodia or Indonesia fly via Bangkok, with a code share with Bangkok Airlines,” he added.

khmer_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khmer Times 24/08