Magnitude 6.1 quake rattles Rome, central Italy 

webfact

Magnitude 6.1 quake rattles Rome and central Italy 

ROME (AP) — A magnitude 6.1 earthquake struck central Italy early Wednesday, with reports of damaged buildings and blackouts near the epicenter Rieti and residents fleeing their homes and running into the streets.

The quake struck just after 3:30 a.m. and was felt across a broad section of central Italy, including the capital Rome where people in homes in the historic center felt a long swaying followed by aftershocks.

The European Mediterranean Seismological Center put the magnitude at 6.1 and said the epicenter was northeast of Rome, near Rieti. The U.S. Geological Survey put the magnitude at 6.2.

The mayor of Amatrice near Rieti, Sergio Perozzi, told state-run RAI radio that there were downed buildings in the city center and that the lights had gone out. He said he was unable to get in touch with emergency responders or reach the hospital.

"What can I tell you? It's a drama," he said.

In 2009, a 6.3-magnitude earthquake struck in the same region and killed more than 300 people. The earlier earthquake struck L'Aquila in central Italy, about 90 kilometers (55 miles) south of the latest quake.

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-08-24

Earthquake strikes central Italy

ROME: -- A magnitude 6.2 earthquake has struck central Italy, south of the city of Perugia, the US Geological Survey says, with the shock also felt in Rome.

The quake hit at 03:36 (01:36 GMT), 76 km (47 miles) southeast of the city, at the very shallow depth of 10km (six miles), the USGS said,

In Rome, some buildings shook for 20 seconds, according to La Repubblica newspaper.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37171953

bbc_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright BBC 2016-08-24

Major earthquake in Rome and Central Italy

ROME: -- An 6.2 strong earthquake was a nightmare wake-up call this morning for millions in Central Italy. It was 3:36 am in Rome, the capital and the tourism center of Italy. Most people were sound asleep, which may have been a blessing in the city, which is also home for the Vatican.

Rome was 66 miles away from the epicenter, but the strength of this morning's earthquake was still considered 6.2 and extremely high and dangerous for the tourist center and largest metropolis in Italy.

100 km or 66 miles east of Rome was the epicenter. It was recorded in Norcia PG this morning, and is now on record as the largest quake measured this year.

Full story: http://www.eturbonews.com/73964/major-earthquake-rome-and-central-italy

-- eTN 2016-08-24

Strong quake rattles central Italy: "The town isn't here" 

ROME (AP) — A magnitude 6.1 earthquake struck central Italy early Wednesday, levelling buildings in several towns as residents slept. The mayor of hard-hit Amatrice said people were trapped under debris and that "The town isn't here anymore."

The quake struck at 3:36 a.m. and was felt across a broad section of central Italy, including the capital Rome where people felt a long swaying followed by aftershocks. First images of damage showed debris in the street and some collapsed buildings in towns and villages that dot much of the Umbrian countryside.

The European Mediterranean Seismological Center put the magnitude at 6.1. The U.S. Geological Survey put the magnitude at 6.2 with the epicenter at Norcia, about 170 kilometers (105 miles) northeast of Rome, and with a relatively shallow depth of 10 kilometers (6 miles). The hardest-hit towns were reported as Amatrice, Accumoli and Norcia, with residents running into the streets as aftershocks continued into the early morning hours.

The mayor of Amatrice near Rieti, Sergio Pirozzi, told state-run RAI radio and Sky TG24 that residents were buried under collapsed buildings, that the lights had gone out and that heavy equipment was needed to clear streets clogged with debris.

"The town isn't here anymore," he said.

The office of Premier Matteo Renzi tweeted that heavy equipment was on its way.

In 2009, a 6.3-magnitude earthquake struck in the same region and killed more than 300 people. The earlier earthquake struck L'Aquila in central Italy, about 90 kilometers (55 miles) south of the latest quake.

A 1997 quake killed a dozen people in the area and severely damaged one of the jewels of Umbria, the Basilica of St. Francis in Assisi, filled with Giotto frescoes. The Franciscan friars who are the custodians of the basilica reported no immediate damage from Wednesday's tumblor.

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-08-24

Earthquake strikes central Italy leaving several dead

606x341_342033.jpg

ROME: -- A strong earthquake has struck central Italy leaving several people dead and causing buildings to collapse.

One of the worst hit places has been the village of Amatrice where the local mayor has reported extensive damage with some people trapped under rubble.

Along with Amatrice other towns badly damaged are believed to be Accumoli, Posta and Arquata del Tronto.

The quake was magnitude 6.2 and struck in the early house of Wednesday mourning.The epicentre was at Rietti near the city of Perugia.

q.jpg

The tremor was felt some 170 km away in Rome and has been followed by strong after shocks.

Prime Minister Matteo Renzi’s spokesman said on Twitter that the government was in touch with the country’s civil protection agency and following the situation closely.

In 2009, a 6.3-magnitude earthquake in the Aquila region, left more than 300 dead.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-08-24

3 hours ago, GuestHouse said:

Terrible news for Italy and bad news for me.

My wife and I have booked a holiday at Rome and to Umbria starting this weekend.

Girlfriend and I are going on Sept 4th, I messaged my AirBnB owner this morning, he says things in Rome are fine.....not sure about nearer to the earthquake area.

2 minutes ago, steveyinasia said:

Girlfriend and I are going on Sept 4th, I messaged my AirBnB owner this morning, he says things in Rome are fine.....not sure about nearer to the earthquake area.

I was awake in the early hours this morning staying near Rome Termini. At 3.40am I felt the hotel room shaking. At first I thought it was the effect of the wine. But after a minute or two it was apparent that a mild earth tremor was happening. A few aftershocks occurred half an hour later. Then calm. Back to sleep. No big deal.

28 minutes ago, steveyinasia said:

Umbria is ok , Rome definitely fine. Amatrice is not (may be soem does not know, but the small town is famous for a pasta recipe called Pasta all'Amatriciana) . What a disaster and loss of lives.

Untitled.jpg

6 hours ago, GuestHouse said:

My wife and I have booked a holiday at Rome and to Umbria starting this weekend.

No problem. Bring bottled water and cadaver dogs and make it a working holiday.

3 hours ago, steveyinasia said:

6 hours ago, GuestHouse said:

Just left on Monday. Were all around the city for a couple days. 3rd time there...lovely place. Hopefully your plans won't be too badly affected. :(

11 minutes ago, Travel2003 said:

Magnitude this and that.

Strange nobody ever came up with a scale which is more understandable.

Average Joe, as well as journalists have absolutely no idea what Richters scale is about.

I think there has been enough earthquakes in recent times, that even your average Joe knows the difference between a 6.1 and a 7.9 !!!

One does damage, the other does shed loads of damage...

Pretty easy to work out :)

7 minutes ago, Travel2003 said:

Magnitude this and that.

Average Joe, as well as journalists have absolutely no idea what Richters scale is about.

come up with a more understandable system and the yanks and poms would not adopt it any way. looks like many buildings have been destroyed. many building are hundreds of years old. i guess they dont get earthquakes like this that often.

14 minutes ago, Travel2003 said:

Magnitude this and that.

They could give us the energy release in joules, this one being about 89TJ, but then the average Joe hasn't much idea what a terajoule is either, or they could tell us the equivalent in terms of explosives, this one being a bit more powerful than the bomb dropped on Hiroshima, but I don't suppose the average Joe really has much idea of what that was like either, the problem is that whatever number they give us it wont really help us to understand just how it feels.

4 hours ago, goatfarmer said:

I was awake in the early hours this morning staying near Rome Termini. At 3.40am I felt the hotel room shaking. At first I thought it was the effect of the wine. But after a minute or two it was apparent that a mild earth tremor was happening. A few aftershocks occurred half an hour later. Then calm. Back to sleep. No big deal.

True. A 6.1 ain't nothing to sneeze at, but still nothing compared to what Japan experienced in 2011...a 9.0.

Wow!  This earthquake was certainly strong enough for the people who felt it.

Any quake over 6 points is bad, over 7 worse, 8 and 9 point quakes will be on

the TV almost immediately, how is that for a simple scale, your thanks is

appreciated, I am just doing my civic duty to those who wondered about this.

I feel lucky that so far I have only been close to a 4 point  quake and it was

bad enough for me. I did not lose anything, and the shake was fairly minor.

I never want to be any where close to a 9 point earth quake, as that would

be a bad day indeed. Good luck to the people in Italy who have had damage, and are

trying to recover from it. RIP to those who were killed.

Geezer

8 hours ago, Travel2003 said:

Magnitude this and that.

True. Then again the Richter scale hasn't been used for many many years. In the early 70's the moment magnitude scale was formulated and nowadays all earthquakes are measured in that scale. It takes released energy into account better then with the 1930's Richter scale. So if you see a news report or comment where the Richter scale is mentioned to tell the severity of an earthquake, then the writer is an idiot.